Zero Meat

Started by TheSpaceKraken, May 12, 2016, 05:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSpaceKraken

I'm seven years in, and animals have simply stopped spawning, my guess is that this has something to do with my 68 animals(mostly Wargs)(more on the way), or my ~40 colonists. This is problematic for hopefully obvious reasons. Is anyone else running in to this problem?

Klitri

Sounds like a bug indeed, nothing to do but begin the slaughter. :)

skullywag

hmmm Ive had 100s of chickens so i doubt its a pawn limit of anykind being hit (plus 200+ tribal zergs are a thing so....)

can you use dev mode and spawn something like a manhunter pack incident and see if it spawns without error.

Check your output.log.

Animals spawn from the map edges and at certain times on certain biomes spawning will seem to have stopped (ice sheet in winter for one) is this not the case?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Reddeath96

I was playing in arid shrubland in the summer (90f) when a heat wave hit (124f) The next thing I noticed was that there wasn't a single wild animal left on the map. The elephants, muffalos, and rhinos just left

Negocromn

I think it has something to do with the number of pawns you have, yes.

The same thing happened to me in a game I went for 1000 turtles, I don't remember the exact moment but animals stopped spawning completely when I reached 100-200 turtles and 12-15 colonists in the end of the second year or at the start of the third year. I quit almost in the 5th year so played two years without any animals spawning.

sadpickle

Quote from: Reddeath96 on May 12, 2016, 09:10:55 AM
I was playing in arid shrubland in the summer (90f) when a heat wave hit (124f) The next thing I noticed was that there wasn't a single wild animal left on the map. The elephants, muffalos, and rhinos just left
They do this. Animals migrate with the seasons, and sometimes a heat or cold wave at the right time can trigger them to leave or arrive early. Depending on the map type and temperature you might not have any animals at all during winter (all I get are hungry grizzlies).

If they don't come back by next spring, it's probably a bug.

TheSpaceKraken

I left it running for a year without a single pawn-creating event naturally triggering. Forcing raids and manhunter packs worked fine. Eventually I force-spawned some caravans and sold off most of the herd, and within a second of the traders stepping off the map, wild animals started spawning again. I wonder if the game treats trainable pets different from animals like cats or chickens?

Cassandra Challenge, btw.

Devon_v

Possibly. I suppose if it can haul, it needs complex pathfinding to navagate the map. Other animals just do random moves and small area searches for food.

Damien Hart

I'd say it's more likely intended to balance the map's ecology; too many animals would quickly result in an empty dirt map populated by starving animals, which was actually an issue back in like alpha 3 or 4. It totally disrupts the game balance when the animals practically hunt themselves for you.

Devon_v

Quote from: Damien Hart on May 14, 2016, 12:11:37 PM
I'd say it's more likely intended to balance the map's ecology; too many animals would quickly result in an empty dirt map populated by starving animals, which was actually an issue back in like alpha 3 or 4. It totally disrupts the game balance when the animals practically hunt themselves for you.
But they do. Manhunter packs come to my door and wait for me to shoot them. :)

Damien Hart

Quote from: Devon_v on May 14, 2016, 12:22:17 PM
But they do. Manhunter packs come to my door and wait for me to shoot them. :)

Well yeah, but they don't knock themselves out and wait for you to eat them. There's at least some risk involved.