[A13] Scheduled Caravans with Supply & Demand

Started by Kaizyn, May 08, 2016, 08:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyAth

Kaizyn

Quote from: Nanao-kun on May 09, 2016, 12:47:13 PM
Just tried this out, it's pretty cool. It took me a moment to realize how to use the trade caravan workbench thing, but it all works.

Hah, yeah - you have to select a pawn and then use it, same as a Comms Console, but you actually don't need to path to it or anything.   I don't really like it, but I did it just to avoid conflicts until I figured out a better way.    Ideally I'd just tie it to the Comms Console, but then I may conflict with things a bit.

Quote from: Grogfeld on May 09, 2016, 01:03:01 PM
This looks interesting. I'm just starting new colony and will give it a try. Do you take data from map? Is time to arrival just constant + RNG, or is it possible to take into account distance factor?

I'm 99% sure it's completely possible to calculate the relative distance of any given faction to you, and have timers calculated by that (it's actually one of my planned features listed).    For now though, caravans come seasonally, plus or minus a week or two, and it's normalized to 1 / season, so you can't get 'unlucky' in the long run and have less caravans due to bad RNG ... eventually it will catch up.

But yes - I actually do take the map data for each faction you talk to.   The summary page showing them all has their terrain type and such listed, and their goods are impacted by that.   Factions in a desert biome have greatly reduced plant/food exports, for example.    Factions in forest type biomes will export much more wood on average ... things like that.

Grogfeld

First thing I've thought was "Man, this is so similar to Dwarf Fortress!" Cool! I'm really happy that someone make use of map :D

I had suggestion for Haplo and his Miscellaneous mods to create a diplomat to send pawn out of the area (despawn) and create incident to summon trade caravan after few days, it was in A12 so land traders was his idea, but it turned out that he didn't want to make any changes until A13 is out. It's kind a similar to your idea but yours is more automated :) So thanks for implementing my request even if you didn't know about it :D

Kaizyn

Quote from: Grogfeld on May 09, 2016, 02:55:06 PM
I had suggestion for Haplo and his Miscellaneous mods to create a diplomat to send pawn out of the area (despawn) and create incident to summon trade caravan after few days

I've got a potential/planned feature a lot like this.    I want to have you send your own caravans.   

You'd get much better prices, but will have to use tamed animals for pack animals, and send one or more colonists out, with according risks.

Not sure if/when I'll do it.   Depends on the reception to this mod, but I may just do it regardless, for my own use if nothing else!

Justas love

U should probably prioritise on more factions, but it's good that it's working with CR and EPOE

Kaizyn

Quote from: Justas love on May 10, 2016, 04:02:20 PM
U should probably prioritise on more factions, but it's good that it's working with CR and EPOE

If you mean the More Factions Spawn mod, it actually does work completely fine, it just does something similar.    If you play with More Factions Spawn, you'll have 6 trading partners and 6 enemies.     Without it, you'll have 8 trading partners and 4 enemies.

I should probably update my main page to be a bit clearer in that More Factions Spawn works fine, it just gives you a couple less potential trading partners.

If you just meant "more factions" in general - it's a bit out of the scope of this mod, but I've already been looking at making a mod that just gives some slight diversity to the factions, because as it is the only trading partners you can have in vanilla are tribals and outlanders.

Ghizmo

Does trading with them also improve relations? like by 1 each time?

Kaizyn

Quote from: Ghizmo on May 11, 2016, 05:57:34 AM
Does trading with them also improve relations? like by 1 each time?

No impact on relations at the moment (unless you murder them, as usual).    A feature I have planned is to have some relation impact depending on how much you trade with them.    Right now you have no real reason not to just request caravans as quickly as they can come.

Later on you'll have to buy/sell some amount from them or they'll delay the next caravan and/or reduce faction a little.   

Killaim

how about a sending out trade request and then setting a (discount) on items so traders will be ore inclined to come if your prices are cheaper.

(just adding a % bonus in their favor)

Aristocat

I think they should send bigger caravans as your colony gets richer(and maybe relation and profit?). Currently I find most caravans little useless (although I haven't used your mod yet), 100 steel or 200 wood is ridiculously small for any colony with +10 colonists.

Other than that, I think this would be one of must have mod, probably should even integrated to game.

Kaizyn

Quote from: Killaim on May 12, 2016, 06:35:51 AM
how about a sending out trade request and then setting a (discount) on items so traders will be ore inclined to come if your prices are cheaper.

(just adding a % bonus in their favor)

Caravans already come on a set schedule with this  (although maybe you could have some kind of 'flash sale' thing if you need someone to send a caravan RIGHT NOW, heh heh)

Quote from: Aristocat on May 12, 2016, 12:18:02 PM
I think they should send bigger caravans as your colony gets richer(and maybe relation and profit?). Currently I find most caravans little useless (although I haven't used your mod yet), 100 steel or 200 wood is ridiculously small for any colony with +10 colonists.

Other than that, I think this would be one of must have mod, probably should even integrated to game.

This mod actually completely redoes what caravans bring, so you ought to take a peek to see!    What each faction brings is totally dependent on their situation.   Tribals living in hills & mountains will bring you a lot more steel and stone and such.   

I've been playing it and the amounts seem balanced out well.    Factions with the largest amounts will have up to ~500 steel per caravan, but any tribal will *probably* bring you at least 200-300, and it's a bit cheaper. 

Also bear in mind that the caravans with this mod are guaranteed.   Every faction you have trade with will send 1 caravan every season, as opposed to the storyteller who will starve you forever if it deems you don't NEED a trader.

(If you haven't tried the mod yet - you *should* be able to just add it to an existing game without any harmful effects.   I would recommend backing up your save though, just for safety.   I don't want to get screamed at for bad advice ruining someone's huge colony!)

That is a good idea about having goods scale later on though - and it's not something that would be difficult to do.    I'll have to see if there's a decently balanced way to accomplish it.    Right now things are balanced as an "any time" thing, but certainly early on, the caravans will bring far more stuff than you can ever use.

Justas love

I know that you saw the pack muffalo mod and you should add it.

But if you saw the panzer muffalo modpack then I highly suggest you to add it to a more wealthy caravan. This probably will take you a long time to code, but whenever an expensive caravan comes in all muffalos will be with the panzer armor.

Also once you're really advanced into the mod, Fluffy has made a mod called Animal Ranged Verbs Unlocker It pretty much allow u to put ranged weapons on animals wink, wink, cough, cough

Love your work man! Keep it up!  ::) ;D ;) :)

Kaizyn

Bit of an update.    I've got about 75% support for Apparello so you can buy/sell the majority of gear from that now.   I've been working on compatibility with the Hardcore SK mod pack, so you can run this with that.    It seems to work, but so many new resources and things were added in it that the UI screen can't show them all.    Going to work on some way to fix it without things being brutally cluttered.     Otherwise it seems to work, just not 100% of things show up on scheduled caravans.

(You can use this version regardless what other mods you have - I'm trying to avoid separate versions for different mod compatibilities.   If you use a mod that it knows about, it works.   If you don't use the mod, it doesn't care.)

Download here.  (Main page updated with this link also)

Version isn't heavily tested, so I would recommend backing up your save in case something explodes, but worst case you can remove this mod and fix anything it does, I think.

Clibanarius

Thanks for the update, I'm between games right now so I might as well update my mod list!

Youhaveavirus

Nice work, awesome mod.
Could you please add a version number to your thread name or download links?
So the people can easily check if their mod is up to date?

For example:
[A13] Scheduled Caravans with Supply & Demand [v.13.01]

Up to date:
Link Name [v.13.01]

previous:
Link Name [v.13.00]
Link Name [v.12.99]