Building or Digging

Started by Goltec, May 06, 2016, 01:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goltec

I know nothing of game design but i would to see the ability to dig down so you could have a sprawling underground base over several levels, or if you preferred a multi leveled base above ground.

Vaporisor

The inspirational game for this, dwarf fortress was similar with elevation.  While theoretically doable from a game design standpoint, it would require a fairly heavy rework of map generation and the combat mechanics to account for a 3d simulator would put more load on the game.  As I understand, the reasoning for a flat plane building was to encourage more focus on the people than just the base building but I could be wrong on my understanding.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Thane

Heavily suggested. Probably ain't gonna happen at least with this engine. Take a look at the frequently suggested thread.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Mufflamingo

Wish that in the future, Tynan's son will make Rimworld II, and make multi level generated maps.
Bleeeee. . . . .

Zombra

Personally, I am completely fine with a 2D game.

hector212121

I'd personally like "fake" height, where it's something you move on top of that gives you bonuses you'd associate with being higher--that is, range and accuracy.

Vaporisor

I was thinking that for roofs.  So constructed roof you can go on with stairs.  HP, fire, all like walls.  So drop raiders can land on roof, punch hole in floor and drop down.  It would be more plausible for implementation.  A bit of work but just a default bonus, toggle roof layer with a hotkey and fun!  Limit roof to sandbags and roof material.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

rexx1888

why are people saying this is hard to implement or that the engine cant handle it O.o

RW is built in unity, a 3d engine that was repurposed for 2d work. its currently using older editions of unity, but that means its actually got less tools available for 2d than 3d. Tynan basically overhauled the engine for his purposes, but it still quite easily has the capacity to do 3d work, because thats what the engine was originally made for :\

as to implementation, RW is also code wise very flexible an well put together. it actually wouldnt be all that hard to extend it into 3 dimensions because of that. an i have a suspicion it was coded in such a way specifically so it could be modified that way if it was desired.

having said that, the idea that it uses 2 planes instead of 3 to focus more on characters tends to ring closer to truth to my ears. Expanding into 3d would open the game up to all sorts of neat stuff, but the game itself doesnt have enough in it yet. Hell, its still having core systems implemented. As such, the gains from going 3d arent all that great, at the moment. Sure, you get some more aspects to base building and you probably change the way kill boxes an mining work, but you also have a boatload of work to do with the ai of enemies, an you have to design and implement underground stuff an all of these things are things the game could use work on right now without the need to add 3d. My feelings are that 3d is a nice thing that might happen when everything else feels a bit more solid. Like ai, an various objects, an relationships get another pass, an so on an so forth.

Adding 3d will expand on whats already there, so the more stuff you have there the more valuable working on 3d becomes.

blub01

Quote from: rexx1888 on May 08, 2016, 01:20:27 AM
why are people saying this is hard to implement or that the engine cant handle it O.o

RW is built in unity, a 3d engine that was repurposed for 2d work. its currently using older editions of unity, but that means its actually got less tools available for 2d than 3d. Tynan basically overhauled the engine for his purposes, but it still quite easily has the capacity to do 3d work, because thats what the engine was originally made for :\

as to implementation, RW is also code wise very flexible an well put together. it actually wouldnt be all that hard to extend it into 3 dimensions because of that. an i have a suspicion it was coded in such a way specifically so it could be modified that way if it was desired.

having said that, the idea that it uses 2 planes instead of 3 to focus more on characters tends to ring closer to truth to my ears. Expanding into 3d would open the game up to all sorts of neat stuff, but the game itself doesnt have enough in it yet. Hell, its still having core systems implemented. As such, the gains from going 3d arent all that great, at the moment. Sure, you get some more aspects to base building and you probably change the way kill boxes an mining work, but you also have a boatload of work to do with the ai of enemies, an you have to design and implement underground stuff an all of these things are things the game could use work on right now without the need to add 3d. My feelings are that 3d is a nice thing that might happen when everything else feels a bit more solid. Like ai, an various objects, an relationships get another pass, an so on an so forth.

Adding 3d will expand on whats already there, so the more stuff you have there the more valuable working on 3d becomes.

of course, there already is a lot there. I do, however, agree that expanding on what is already there is a better idea.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.