Lock forbidden doors

Started by hector212121, May 09, 2016, 02:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hector212121

Forbidding shouldn't just be "please don't enter this door". It should be a toggle, so the next flicker who passes by locks the door, stopping insane people or jailbreakers from getting through.

If a crazy dude or anyone who managed to jimmy the ONE door open can suddenly open ALL the doors, what's stopping that force of 100 tribals from just turning the doorknob? Thus, the doors MUST lock...

milon

It would be especially useful when those stupid visitors stop by and decide to raid the freezer!  >:(

The doors did used to lock in earlier alphas.  I don't remember why it was changed to Forbid.

GarettZriwin

Quote from: milon on May 09, 2016, 05:42:24 PM
It would be especially useful when those stupid visitors stop by and decide to raid the freezer!  >:(

The doors did used to lock in earlier alphas.  I don't remember why it was changed to Forbid.
Trapping visitors and stuff... Right?

hector212121

Yeah, that'd be it.

I think that'd be solved with visitors getting pissed and deciding to shoot their way through, since you can still simply wall them in.

(FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MONTRESSOR!)

rexx1888

i wouldnt mind the option to do both tbh... like, forbidding is useful for doors that are essentially emergency exits or for when there are bears outside, but locking is for when a colonist loses their goddamned mind and decides its a grand idea to kill everyone an the colonies bunny too :\

Kegereneku

I was like that before, but easy trapping of visitor is why it was taken out (and because it required no Pawn-interaction)
To get it back you need to find a logic that can't be exploited too easily.

I'll be impressed myself if Visitor could understand when they are being held in a trap, becoming hostile in consequences.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

mumblemumble

To be completely honest,  i really wish ty would code pawns to try breaking out when trapped, so he can stop balancing the game around an exploit tactic...

This,  and other things suffer from it.  Cmon ty!
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

rexx1888

eh, ai is the like the last thing that should be done as then it can take into account all the other things... having said that, im sick of seeing people naysaying stuff because it might be exploited...

legit, no one with a brain designs like that, its like saying you wont eat fish because it can go rotten :\

b0rsuk

Quote from: mumblemumble on May 11, 2016, 06:02:53 PM
To be completely honest,  i really wish ty would code pawns to try breaking out when trapped, so he can stop balancing the game around an exploit tactic...
Sounds fair, but in this game walls are faster to construct than to destroy! And you can repair a wall from the other side.

Toggle

Quote from: rexx1888 on May 11, 2016, 08:35:01 PM
eh, ai is the like the last thing that should be done as then it can take into account all the other things... having said that, im sick of seeing people naysaying stuff because it might be exploited...

legit, no one with a brain designs like that, its like saying you wont eat fish because it can go rotten :\

So, you only have a few colonists, first few months of starting, oh hey a trader comes by. They stand outside the door to your base, a long narrow hallway, which you just closed off with constructed walls and locked the door, so they'll slowly die and you'll get free loot.

Tons of people design around preventing unintended gameplay and exploits. You're saying people literally don't design games around preventing exploits?
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

viperwasp

Quote from: rexx1888 on May 11, 2016, 08:35:01 PM

I feel a lot of people design games this way. They either take time and only put features in that likely cannot be exploited. Or they put the idea in and then realize after it was a bad idea then nurf or remove it. However I still agree that it's frustrating when ideas are dismissed completely ONLY because of exploitation AND without thinking of a way to minimize or remove the exploitable part. For example if pawns could sap/mine there way out if they are hungry/cold/hot and need to leave the map and are trapped. Maybe have a time limit where if they can't mine or sap themselves out in a certain amount of time they turn hostile and you get bad rep plus they attack you right then and there.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

rexx1888

in terms of "oh no they be locked in by people building walls" nonsense, why not have pawns check construction blueprints an just not be inside areas they cant potentially path out of (you know, because if you see people building walls around you you dont generally just stand there an wave goodbye)... an if they find locked doors, they do what normal people do an try to knock them down... AND why is it considered an exploit to lock a damn door :\ people do that ALL THE TIME.. if i dont want a person to leave or enter a place, i LOCK THE DOOR!!! it makes more sense than me trying to beat them unconscious an running the risk of killing them or dying myself :\ are you telling me that locking a door is somehow OP :\ more OP than a centrepede spawning in a random cryptosleep loot filled room, or a rando Hive just appearing in your larder or dudes crashing through your roof...

seriously, this is a silly frigging discussion an the only actual objection is "oh we'll have to make the ai just a tad more capable" which is a thing that will need to be done anyway :\

Kegereneku

How is that a silly discussion if we have successfully identified the problem (Exploit) and possible solutions to it ?
That's damn more constructive than "HEY ! ADD THIS FEATURE" followed by "+1" or "NO IT SUCK !".

As always the solution is up to devs but, yeah I also think that since the game can now identify Room per type, the IA might be close to be able to recognize "Locked Door + Unsafe Temp / Low food" as enough reasons to break out forcefully.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

hector212121

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 12, 2016, 04:42:37 AM
Quote from: mumblemumble on May 11, 2016, 06:02:53 PM
Sounds fair, but in this game walls are faster to construct than to destroy! And you can repair a wall from the other side.

Code them all to attack the same patch of wall at the same time.

Only one person can repair something at a time.

milon

That's a really good idea, and it's exactly what would happen IRL. The group picks what looks like the weakest point and attacks it collectively. I'm no dev, but from my perspective, RimWorld is mature enough to handle the required AI upgrade & lockable doors.