Beware of strip mining

Started by nuschler22, May 10, 2016, 02:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

Mid game and looking for plasteel because I had none on the map (or from traders), and I strip mined the back side of my mountain base. 

Unfortunately, two very large infestations popped up at once and my base has basically been overrun (I didn't realize they could mine through since I'd never had an infestation before). There are probably about 100-150 total in my strip mined portion of the base.  I figured there would be bugs, but I didn't know it would be such a large infestation.  The doors only help when they don't mine around them.

Whoops. :)

Lys

Strip mining is fine.
Quote from: nuschler22 on May 10, 2016, 02:04:10 PM
Mid game and looking for plasteel because I had none on the map (or from traders), and I strip mined the back side of my mountain base. 
I highlighted your mistake. In my last base, I strip mined just fine - as far as possible from my actual base. It made it likelier that hives don't spawn directly in my base.

nuschler22

Quote from: Lys on May 10, 2016, 03:11:53 PM
Strip mining is fine.
Quote from: nuschler22 on May 10, 2016, 02:04:10 PM
I highlighted your mistake. In my last base, I strip mined just fine - as far as possible from my actual base. It made it likelier that hives don't spawn directly in my base.

Why would you feel the need to highlight it?

I specifically pointed out my mistake. 

In fact, that's the whole point of the topic.

Listen1

I really thought I stepped in a crazy world of miners working for single dollars...

Glad i'm wrong.

And if everything is closed, throw some furniture/wood and let it burn in there.

Domnonos

Step 1: Seal the mine part up, but also keep a door
Step 2: Build Incendiary launchers
Step 3: Shoot a hive (preferably a cluster)
Step 4: Burn Baby Burn

:)

Just make sure you have about 3 walls between the area you are burning and your base.

Vaporisor

Quote from: Domnonos on May 10, 2016, 04:17:20 PM
Step 1: Seal the mine part up, but also keep a door
Step 2: Build Incendiary launchers
Step 3: Shoot a hive (preferably a cluster)
Step 4: Burn Baby Burn

:)

Just make sure you have about 3 walls between the area you are burning and your base.

Or at minimum, rooms/hallways ventilated to atmosphere.  I can confirm though.  If you just need them cleared out, and cleared out fast, try to get it to an enclosed setup, sneak in some incendiaries and molotovs or whatever you can get, and try to get some fires going.  Once you start them going up, it should sustain long enough for all the bugs and preferably most of the hives to roast.  Just keep cooking til you can get the hives cleared.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

StorymasterQ

Stay away from strip mining, get into strip poker instead.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

mumblemumble

Combining the 2 destructive vices of promiscuity, and gambling?.

Sounds like that can't end well.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

rmurdocci

Quote from: Lys on May 10, 2016, 03:11:53 PM
Strip mining is fine.
[...] In my last base, I strip mined just fine - as far as possible from my actual base. It made it likelier that hives don't spawn directly in my base.

This.

I love mountain bases (been going deep since A2/A3) and hit a few bad situations in A13 from the buggers.

My new strategy is:

• Surgically mine your base into the mountain (yes, square by square, minding the tool tip), avoiding "Overhead Mountains"
  • Create a remote mine far from base in a large mountain
  • Use a symmetric and systematic pattern to allow for doors to be installed and enclosed areas to exist (image attached)

When infestations happen, they will be contained within one of these enclosed areas and accessible through the door system. From here, you just need some FIIIRE and voilá.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

b0rsuk

Quote from: rmurdocci on May 11, 2016, 01:26:29 PM
When infestations happen, they will be contained within one of these enclosed areas and accessible through the door system. From here, you just need some FIIIRE and voilá.
They won't, because the screenshot shows -26*C, and an infestation won't happen below -17*C.

Creating honeypots far away in cold biomes is foolish. Strip mining is actually how I deal with infestations - excess heat escapes into the mines, and I'd much rather have an infestation in my mine with bulkhead doors than another one in bedroom or hospital.

Bugs can't deal with hit&run tactics. If you have 2-3 colonists who can shoot, you're fine. Shotgun is good because it has HIGH short range accuracy, and low cooldown so you can run away quickly. Handgrenades are good. Molotov cocktails are better than incendiary launcher because of much lower warmup, incendiary only gets +10 range bonus.

You don't want the bugs to be stuck in a VERY small room because then you can't use hit&run from doorways. It's too close. So I actually open a door before bugs get out of the hive, so they have a larger area to roam and can be picked away one by one.