[Thoughts/Mod Request] My room to RW and why I think 6x5 is to much for a room.

Started by oronnoro2, May 10, 2016, 08:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oronnoro2

When I play Rimworld or The Sims I try and visualize room/house size to try and get them as close to what I think is big enough without it looking like the hallway is a bedroom. I do this by looking at how much space an object in game uses to real life in this case the double bed, which is 2x2, to me this would be a queen or king size bed in real life, 1 square would be a hallway.

I did a paint comparison of my room and what it might look like in Rimworld. I also used 2 squares as the height of a human which would be the length of the queen size bed.

My point throughout this discussion is that 6x5 for a room in Rimworld is to much to keep your pawns happy, at least to me it is. The room I have linked the picture to is in squares, the squares are there to represent the size of real life objects to Rimworld. The yellow outline is my bed, red is the door and closet and the black/orange is my stand/tv.

To me, my room is quite large, big enough to have an extra queen bed if I wanted, however, its only a 3x4 room, yet its got enough room for everything I need, but the pawns in Rimworld are not satisfied with a room this size and want something more to a living room.

I remember reading about a mod that made it so pawns would be happy with a room of 3x3, however, I cannot seem to be able to find it, or if the mod author even updated it.

My request for anyone reading this post would be, if they have time or are willing, to create a mod that lowers the need for such a massive sized room and allow pawns to be happy with a 3x4 or 3x3 room size.

Link to the bedroom I think is ideal for a happy Rimworld pawn.
http://postimg.org/image/ensajdbtt/

Mufflamingo

My room is 4x4. And its too large for me. Rimpeople are too greedy. :<
Bleeeee. . . . .

Thane

And the greedy people want to live like Donald Trump all while doing blue collar work!
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

oronnoro2

Quote from: Thane on May 10, 2016, 10:05:27 PM
And the greedy people want to live like Donald Trump all while doing blue collar work!

Weeell, they do kind of have "Anything" and "Sleep" for their scheduled, I don't force them to do anything xD.

My point isn't that they should get less, but I guess in this case it seems like it, my point is that the room size is just way bigger then whats needed. Like I said in my OP, if you wore to take the objects and gave them the same size block by block, then the room size will start to get unrealistic.

If you think about it, a 2x2 room is just like a prisoners cell enough for a bed or bunk bed and room for walking, a 3x2 would have enough for a bed and maybe a drawing table with chair or toilet seat with sink.

My living room is 4x4 and that place has a 60" tv along with 2 couches and a Sofa Chairs, realistically 6x5 is huge for a bedroom.

Boston

It is partially because furniture takes up so much room in Rimworld.

I know, I find the room size requirements and furniture sizes ridiculous as well.

This guy lived in a 10ft x 12ft log cabin. He was able to fit EVERYTHING he wanted in there, including a woodstove, a desk, some countertops, a fireplace and two bunks. In Rimworld, you would be lucky to get the bed.

https://www.nps.gov/lacl/learn/historyculture/proennekes-cabin.htm

oronnoro2

That depends on the object, a 4x4 room if were talking about 1 square here would be able to fit 4 queen size beds (double RW beds). 4x4 could also fit 1 queen bed a table/chair and still have room for a TV and sofa chair. And if painting ever got added to the game that's another awesome way to populate some space, maybe not a square more like 1/4 the square but, a room that size is plenty.

Most of my pawns only have a double bed or single with a planter, that's it. I don't see the need for such huge space. I do like keeping my colonists happy so I do it anyways, I just feel it is totally unnecessary for a room that size.

Even with my own bedroom, which I mention in the OP is about 12 squares RW size, very spacious, while pawns want a 27 or so blocks to feel spacious, =P.

Lascer

I'd want a larger room too if I had to live in a compound sharing everything else. I'd also want more than a bed in it.

Size in this game is weirdly skewed, It's just the nature of the system.

sadpickle

You don't have to give them a room that size. It's just what they would find ideal, as their one and only private place which is actually theirs on that god-forsaken Rimworld. But they will make do with a 1x2 if they must. The most important thing for morale is 4 walls and a ceiling.

A colonist uses a room for two things right now: sleeping and joy. When they are asleep their mood doesn't budge, so having a fancy bedroom will do nothing there. And most of my colonists prefer to socialize during down time.