Steel Shortage [Solved]

Started by KatherineOfSky, May 12, 2016, 10:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KatherineOfSky

I searched the forum, but didn't find an answer, alas, so I figured I would just ask...

I'm on my second playthrough, which has so far been much more successful than the first.

Even though I am creating much of my housing/base by tunneling through the rock, I still run out of steel extremely quickly.  NONE of the traders that has visited me sells steel.  (I've been playing this colony for just over 1 in-game year).

I find myself wondering -- why can't I make walls from stone (bricks)?  I have tons of material lying around...

Meanwhile, nearly every observable steel deposit on the map has been mined. I just have a scant few blocks left.

Are there any other options for mitigating the lack-of-steel problem?  It goes into walls, crafting stations, wiring, just about everything...

Thanks for any and all help.

Damien Hart

You can make stone walls. You just need to research stonecutting, make the stonecutter's table, cut some stones and you're good to go.

KatherineOfSky

I've researched stonecutting as my very first technology, however, stone walls do not appear in the Structures menu.   (And I did create stone blocks before checking the menu again).

The only item that I can find created from stone is stone flooring.

Am I experiencing a bug?  or are stone walls in another part of the menu perhaps?

RazorHed

Did you right click the wall to change the stuff you make the wall from?

Damien Hart

When you click on something in the architect menu that can be made out of a different stuff, the little blue menu pops up to let you choose whatit will be made from. The menu collapses automatically if you mave the mouse away, so you may not have noticed before.

b0rsuk

Quote from: KatherineOfSky on May 12, 2016, 10:18:46 PM
I've researched stonecutting as my very first technology, however, stone walls do not appear in the Structures menu.   (And I did create stone blocks before checking the menu again).
Stone walls are made of stone blocks. Stone blocks are made at stonecutting table. Stonecutting table is found in the Architect > Production tab.

Please read tooltips and text descriptions.

If you're in a hurry, deconstruct some ruined walls for blocks.

Listen1

So Damien... I see you like corn...

KatherineOfSky

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies.  I think it was a combination of not realizing the UI worked that way, and clicking too fast.  (When it says "Steel wall", it didn't occur to me that it could be anything else.  Other items work differently -- there are several colors of carpet listed next to each other, all kinds of stone, machines next to each other -- these options are all already visible.)

Now I've gone back, and can see that many items can be made from various resources.  Thanks again.

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 13, 2016, 03:37:06 AM
Quote from: KatherineOfSky on May 12, 2016, 10:18:46 PM
Stone walls are made of stone blocks. Stone blocks are made at stonecutting table. Stonecutting table is found in the Architect > Production tab.

Please read tooltips and text descriptions.

@b0rsuk - Did you not read what I wrote?  (and you quoted?) -- I DID create blocks at the stonecutting table.  And I do read tooltips -- I just click and move the mouse instantly, so I didn't see it... and searched the forums extensively before posting.  Sigh.

Damien Hart

It's an easy mistake to make.

Floors are different in the menu because they're treated differently to everything else in the game.

It could probably stand to have a specific tip explaining it from the tutor though.

RazorHed

whats worse is I sometimes accidentally change the stuff and end up with silver doors :( . lots of lost silver

Negocromn

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on May 13, 2016, 07:22:24 AM
So Damien... I see you like walking...

fixd, hauling nightmare

Listen1

Gotta make those boars work.

Damien Hart

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on May 13, 2016, 07:22:24 AM
So Damien... I see you like corn...
Quote from: Negocromn on May 13, 2016, 08:28:58 AM
fixd, hauling nightmare

I didn't see that first one, but yeah, I have a bit over a season to grow a year's worth of food. So to answer your question, yes, I love corn. And rice. Because not starving is good.

http://i.imgur.com/bmyvER0.jpg

And I have huskies for hauling, just for the record.  ;D

Listen1

! That's an amazing location. I love this colonies where there are water and mud, so that people might want to cross and you don't have any defense.

Did you devmode the rocks or is it natural?

Nickvr628

I didn't see that first one, but yeah, I have a bit over a season to grow a year's worth of food. So to answer your question, yes, I love corn. And rice. Because not starving is good.

http://i.imgur.com/bmyvER0.jpg

And I have huskies for hauling, just for the record.  ;D
[/quote]

Is that, a human body buffet for you animals?