Faction "fear".

Started by hector212121, May 13, 2016, 10:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hector212121

Basically, the more impressive a assault you successfully repel, the more factions should fear you.

Fear would result in larger raids that were less frequent, or, eventually, a overture to peace. Of course, you'd be able to refuse.

I feel like Fear should determine how much of a negative relation you can have and be at peace.

Vaperius

Quote from: hector212121 on May 13, 2016, 10:14:21 AM
Basically, the more impressive a assault you successfully repel, the more factions should fear you.

Fear would result in larger raids that were less frequent, or, eventually, a overture to peace. Of course, you'd be able to refuse.

I feel like Fear should determine how much of a negative relation you can have and be at peace.

I think Tynan should at some point develop a faction diplomacy module. Fear, Anger and Threat should be factored to determine whether or not a faction attacks you.

Fearful factions should suffer morale penalties for their raiders, whereas angry factions will constantly send raiding parties, and threatened factions should send larger raids.

Essentially you can make a Faction anger and feel threatened and it will start sending raids more frequently and with greater intensity.

Then if you repel those raids they gain fearful mood debuffs on raids that cause certain penalties to their firing etc. Bonus if you wipe out the entire raid. The more fearful a faction become the smaller the raids unless they also feel highly threatened, in which case they will use their stock piles of artifacts on their raids(surely they have a few?)
I remain Vigilant.

CabbageFoot

Quote from: Vaperius on May 13, 2016, 05:44:55 PM
Quote from: hector212121 on May 13, 2016, 10:14:21 AM

I think Tynan should at some point develop a faction diplomacy module. Fear, Anger and Threat should be factored to determine whether or not a faction attacks you.

Fearful factions should suffer morale penalties for their raiders, whereas angry factions will constantly send raiding parties, and threatened factions should send larger raids.

Essentially you can make a Faction anger and feel threatened and it will start sending raids more frequently and with greater intensity.

Then if you repel those raids they gain fearful mood debuffs on raids that cause certain penalties to their firing etc. Bonus if you wipe out the entire raid. The more fearful a faction become the smaller the raids unless they also feel highly threatened, in which case they will use their stock piles of artifacts on their raids(surely they have a few?)

poking a hole here. How do they feel threatened? The colony you play as NEVER sends out raiding parties, they just don't have the numbers for it. By that merit all the other obviously larger factions should be fighting each other and not paying any attention to you. I would consider renaming "threatened" to "greedy" or "sense weakness" or something along those lines.

Zombra

I think it would be great to have another relationship axis.  One linear number is elegant but perhaps too simple.

Maybe call the two axes "Goodwill" and "Respect".  An enemy with low Goodwill but high Respect would act like the OP mentioned: mounting fewer but larger raids.  Low Goodwill and low Respect would mean frequent harassment by smaller groups of bandits, and possibly little "fucking with them" parties like guys who come and set fires or steal your crops just to be dicks.  High Goodwill and high Respect might mean more frequent trading parties, and good prices for selling guns and suchlike (they want to be tough like you so they'll pay a good price for your munitions).  High Goodwill and low Respect might make friends more likely to bring guns to sell to you, since you're weak and they want to help.