What's the saddest ending you've seen for your colonies?

Started by Travinsky, May 14, 2016, 01:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travinsky

Right, my colony just ended. Naturally, a raid was pretty much the death of it. They outnumbered us, they had better guns, better shooters, and frankly with me in charge; the underdogs never even had a shot. Yet, when the raiders walked off the map with my colonists, the round didn't just end.

In fact, it ended when my lone survivor, stuck in bed with no right leg with no-one to treat her, succumbed to malaria.

And I just thought, how harrowing it must've been for her when she heard shouts declaring raiders, all this gunfire and then... silence. No raiders busting down the door or colonists saying they fought 'em off, nothing but silence as she was forced to lay there and die from a horrible disease.

Now, I doubt that's the saddest end to a colony there's ever been. So I put it too you, what's the saddest end to one of your colonies you can remember?

Vaporisor

That one is pretty sad and if it was a favoured colonist of mine, would have been even worse.

My saddest/happiest.  Sorta a mixed emotion one was a roleplayish ending.  It was a good colony going when by real solid and hard working guy got injured.  Every colony has a pawn like this.  Never breaks, does stuff fast and from the start at that.

One minor raid, bang.  Critical headshot and permanent comatose.  Made him a hospital room just for him.  Clean with flower pots and climate control.  The "ending" was the colonists built him a ship and loaded him in. 

He was the only one in the ship, colonist built it just for him.  Off he went, hopefully to rest in true peace.

I did have a regrets "ending" that was a bit derpy.  Winter map, person berserked right after raid.  Incapacitated two people, then got knocked out by the cat. 

Technically, they all should have died from that, slowly starving on the floor.  However, I would not accept the derp of them not healing bruises incapacitation so after two days of them twitching on ground while cat healed 100%, I just devmoded them back up.  I still consider it sad in the pathetic sense that it would have ended otherwize.

Last ending isnt sad or even interesting from pure mechanics point of view, but from roleplay fiction it was.  Is the conclusion to my escaped convicts story.  A random statue placed was just too fitting coincidentally to the story I had written up to that point.  I thought it was rather moving and the final screenshot turned out quite nice.  It was a memorial to the one colonist who got killed by another.

Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

milon

Quote from: Vaporisor on May 14, 2016, 04:48:19 AM
He was the only one in the ship, colonist built it just for him.  Off he went, hopefully to rest in true peace.

I gotta say it: He's in a better place now   ;D

Chibiabos

How about one that was both tragically sad and ridiculously hilarious?  I had my colony up to 10 colonists or so, certainly not the largest but not new nor fledgeling when a swarm of maddened squirrels entered the map.  I don't know how many there were, but it was several dozen, badly outnumbering my colonists ... in this old version of RimWorld they would beat down doors.  Every last colonist fell before them ... I'd survived raiders, tribals, even a mech raid ... but my colonists were completely helpess against a horde of man-exterminating squirrels!
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Vaporisor

Quote from: Chibiabos on May 14, 2016, 03:10:30 PM
How about one that was both tragically sad and ridiculously hilarious?  I had my colony up to 10 colonists or so, certainly not the largest but not new nor fledgeling when a swarm of maddened squirrels entered the map.  I don't know how many there were, but it was several dozen, badly outnumbering my colonists ... in this old version of RimWorld they would beat down doors.  Every last colonist fell before them ... I'd survived raiders, tribals, even a mech raid ... but my colonists were completely helpess against a horde of man-exterminating squirrels!

From the painbrushes thread

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13372.msg220592#msg220592

Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

NephilimNexus

I have multiple colonies wiped out by heat waves.

Air conditioning doesn't save them, either.  Someone passes out of heatstroke while outside, I send someone to rescue them and then that person falls over from heat stroke too.

Only solution was to ban colonist from stepping outside the air conditioned areas, and that wasn't an option until a couple of patches ago.  Before that it was just hoping the fools wouldn't blunder into the wrong place and die.

billycop32

wayyyyyy back in the day before operations on colonists was made into the game, I had a colonist named blue. she was the most badass colonist I have ever had in the game. most of her shots landed where she wanted them, she was good at trading, and she never broke in a bad mood. I pampered her. watch over her more than the others....and grew attached....

you all know where this is heading by now.

Blue was caught out hunting when a raid came in. I did my best to get her to safety, but her left leg was taken out. I built her a entire hospital room with a royal bed just for her. for as long as that colony stood, she was in her room. always.

I guess you could say it made me blue that she was injured like that....

pktongrimworld

Justas love

lmfao just shoot one rat far from your base with a charge rifle and every rat will explode (boomalope work too with this)

christhekiller

Quote from: pktongrimworld on May 23, 2016, 02:52:10 PM
a pack of 30 manhunting boomrats.

yah.

Those are fun. They just all start hurting once they start exploding and they can never get near my defences.

FlorenceTWA

My recent dev mode special challenge is like this:

I want to build a biosphere. And I need it to rely on NOTHING but sunlight, no trading, not even cargo pod resources. Took me quite a bit of time but I eventually came up with this design.

As you see, there's no electricity at all, and no need for components EVER. My colonists can still have fun, they have a lot of joy objects, they have beer, they have strawberries, they have medicine. They can even plant flowers for fun. This design is only worth 30000+ wealth, so raids are pretty much just laughs and they have +15 "very low expectations" mood to help deal with the -15 "cabin fever serious", and you can deal with everything easily with the embrasures' help.

The only two annoying things are:

1, I can't deal with the poison/psychic ship event by sitting at home. So I just go play this design on a modified save file which only has 75x75 map size, now you can shoot the ass off anything without walking outside. That's not cool enough so I decided to add a water maze as well, and now I can sit and watch raiders get mass murdered on their way trying to get inside, or merchants come here visit me only to find they need 12 hours to walk to my home (they go crazy halfway and start fighting each other or taking off clothes, great fun!).

2, I left no door for them... And raid through the roof proves almost impossible to clean up. Steel slag and such. So, I decided to let the colonists fight the battle normally, but I'd clean up the mess for them with delete tool. Because really, does a biosphere need to deal with air strike raids normally? No. But I like battles, so let them fight anyway.

I plan to keep it running for 10 years, and they lived through many hardships, like, gut worms + toxic fallout + blight... Sometimes one colonist goes down due to starvation, leaving the other to wait for the newly planted rice to grow out. Sometimes I had to manually forbid the food and only let one person eat just so that I can make sure someone can still move and harvest things later on, very risky. But they made it through every time, even on the brink of death once (malnutrition reaching 100% but not activating the death yet, probably just seconds away from it)

And then one day, THIS happened

Nothing can describe my feel! Nothing! I gaped and faceplamed and sit there for quite a few minutes wondering "should I just delete this ship"
Well I did delete it eventually, they still had a tough time getting through the volcanic winter because the damn ship killed most of my corn and everyone almost starved to death
But let's be honest, deep down in my heart, my colony already ended at that moment  :(

WickedGoddess

We were starving, raiders had taken down our power. It was cold and miserable. The Muffalo had eaten the last of the food. We kept breaking and throwing our clothes off and wandering around in the snow.  My colonists were fighting each other and through it all our Huskies, a mated pair with babies on the way, kept saving us. Taking us to bed in the campfire warmed room. The man the Muffalo had bonded with died due to infection and the Muffalo broke and trampled the huskies, he killed them both. We lay on the snow and slowly froze and starved to death. The puppies were never born, they were less than a day away from delivering. I cried a little and deleted that sad colony.