ADD as a Trait / Health Ailment

Started by Lakuna, May 15, 2016, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakuna

ADD, or Attention Deficit Disorder, is a disorder that causes a person to lose focus easily (I sometimes find myself looking at the ceiling while in math class on days that I forget to take my medicine). Some other symptoms include: Depression, forgetfulness, and hyperactivity (ADHD).

I think it might be fun (and infuriating) to have ADD and/or ADHD as traits in Rimworld.
Proposed effects:
1) Permanent mood reduction
2) Other colonists think badly of them (Social tab, probably a small reduction)
3) Colonist has a chance to randomly have a soft "Wandering" mental break, even in the middle of a job.
4) Speed boost (Hyperactivity)
5) Melee attack boost (Hyperactivity)

If you have any other ideas for effects, please add them below.
I suppose this could also be a health effect in the brain, but the effects are more like that of a characteristic.

milon

I like the idea that ADD/ADHD could be a trait. I don't agree with the idea of a permanent mood reduction, but I love the idea of increased productivity/speed at the cost of a fair chance of wandering off in the middle of things.

+1

The-MathMog

Pretty much the same as what milon mentioned. Great idea. A trait like that would fit well with what is already implemented in the game, and how bonuses to different stats and moods work!

hector212121

How about halving the duration of moods?

Lakuna

Yay! It's fun to receive good feedback on an idea.

Lakuna

Quote from: hector212121 on May 16, 2016, 09:32:11 AM
How about halving the duration of moods?
Good Idea!
Would this be better to go into the
"Your cheapest ideas"
Section?
<----

king komodo

Having ADD myself I actually think this is a great idea to add to the game, though I agree with Milon any mood buff/debuff should not be permanent although the production increase with the wandering or at least changing tasks, such as going from crafting to hunting to growing to eating without finishing any of them (except maybe the last 2 since they would probably be hard to have at an incomplete state) within an hour, would be a great idea. Right now it actually annoys me to see these people literally sit/stand at a crafting table for the 4 hour stretches I have them do so and sometimes for the longer stretches as they seem to like to work through their lunch hours.

Wex

Maybe the advanced job table could be disabled for the character.
Maybe you could only tell him what to do, but not set priorities (aside for the 4 basic ones)
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Lakuna

Quote from: king komodo on May 20, 2016, 11:57:24 PM
Having ADD myself I actually think this is a great idea to add to the game, though I agree with Milon any mood buff/debuff should not be permanent although the production increase with the wandering or at least changing tasks, such as going from crafting to hunting to growing to eating without finishing any of them (except maybe the last 2 since they would probably be hard to have at an incomplete state) within an hour, would be a great idea. Right now it actually annoys me to see these people literally sit/stand at a crafting table for the 4 hour stretches I have them do so and sometimes for the longer stretches as they seem to like to work through their lunch hours.
I do have ADD, but I just assumed mine wasn't as severe because I don't feel bad. Google says that most cases of ADD give people depression, which is why I assumed that colonists with ADD would have a permanent bad mood.

king komodo

I assumed the same too, with not having it as severe, but I long ago learned 2 things. 1) Don't trust everything on the internet. 2) Not everyone with a problem has the same problems. Also just now doing my own little search I found one thing that would make some sense as well, colonists with this trait shouldn't be capable of making masterwork or legendary items since a somewhat common symptom is the inability to finish a project, at least once the hard part is done. And perhaps maybe they're more prone to the feeling good/bad/terrible/great mood (de)buff but nothing permanent.

Nitro1248

I have ADD, and my personal experiences follow
1. ADD (and ADHD) people get on together well, (my mother and father are both ADD, same with my WHOLE family, and my social group is entirely ADD)
2. ADD isn't just "low interest", it's about that they enjoy certain activities, and that activity takes up all of the brain.

In gameplay terms, I suggest...
1. ADD people have a social boost to other ADD people
2. Greatly Increased speed and learning on a certain task (animals, construction, etc.) and Majorly low speed and learning (and loss of focus) on anything else
It might be like mechanites, in terms of added pros and cons

And another thing, Ritalin would be an interesting implement (but mostly a mod), with making speeds more average.

But I would love to see this in a new update (and lots of other people too, RimWorld seems to have a fairly large ADD fan base)

Lakuna

Quote from: Nitro1248 on May 24, 2016, 09:53:12 AM
1. ADD (and ADHD) people get on together well, (my mother and father are both ADD, same with my WHOLE family, and my social group is entirely ADD)
2. ADD isn't just "low interest", it's about that they enjoy certain activities, and that activity takes up all of the brain.

2. Greatly Increased speed and learning on a certain task (animals, construction, etc.) and Majorly low speed and learning (and loss of focus) on anything else

And another thing, Ritalin would be an interesting implement (but mostly a mod), with making speeds more average.

But I would love to see this in a new update (and lots of other people too, RimWorld seems to have a fairly large ADD fan base)

I think #2 is more of an autism thing.

Nitro1248

Quote from: yaplash on May 24, 2016, 05:23:25 PM

Well thanks mate!
I try to make a contribution and I get called autistic

Anyway, about the issue, if you do some research, you will find that many successful people have ADD/ADHD, because they really like their job, whether it be inventing, science, or business, which being obsessed to one area, but not at all at others, is a sign of ADD.

Lakuna

Quote from: Nitro1248 on May 25, 2016, 03:07:29 AM
Quote from: yaplash on May 24, 2016, 05:23:25 PM

Well thanks mate!

Anyway, about the issue, if you do some research, you will find that many successful people have ADD/ADHD, because they really like their job, whether it be inventing, science, or business, which being obsessed to one area, but not at all at others, is a sign of ADD.
That's not the way I meant it!
Thank you for replying to my post, I like all of the feedback I've gotten so far. I just meant that "Greatly Increased speed and learning on a certain task" is similar to the affect autism has on people rather than ADD.

vomov

Quote from: Nitro1248 on May 25, 2016, 03:07:29 AM
Which is not an insult, just as ADD, OCD, Bipolar, 'associative personality', or 'Caucasian'. Don't take it as such.

OT, personalities/personality traits would be a nice addition to pawns, but I'd suggest not to stop with ADD. The most successful artists tend to have some variant of a bipolar personality, people with associative personalities are more productive than average in social settings (usually), and who wouldn't want an autistic savant on research? Just make sure the OCD-guy isn't allowed to flick buttons.