Gather flag/object

Started by DeMatt, February 12, 2014, 06:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeMatt

I'd like to suggest a constructible object - a "gather" or "rally" flag, or similar, that causes idle civilian colonists to wander near it instead of completely randomly.  I say "flag", but it could be a statue or monument of some kind.

This would allow idlers to socialize more easily, and would allow the player to set up an "idle" room, well-decorated and/or safe, for the idlers to get happy in.

SPAZZx7

Colonist being "Idle" is a problem, that should not be an acceptable state of your workers, if it happens often you should consider redistributing work loads in the overview.

DeMatt

Quote from: Rikkada on February 12, 2014, 07:13:59 PM
Colonist being "Idle" is a problem, that should not be an acceptable state of your workers, if it happens often you should consider redistributing work loads in the overview.
Well, there are two circumstances in which I expect there to be idleness:

• It's an assassin.
  • I'm between "major" projects and all the "maintenance" work is done.
In the former case, I can't assign any other work to the guy anyways.  And in the latter, I don't have anything for them to do, so there's nothing to assign them to.  I consider "too much work" to be more of a problem than "too little work", and the "gather flag" wouldn't affect colonists with work.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: DeMatt on February 12, 2014, 07:43:33 PM
Well, there are two circumstances in which I expect there to be idleness:

• It's an assassin.
Or a Noble. Or anyone who can't do ManualDumb or ManualSkilled.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Tynan

It's such a good idea that I put it on my short range to do list just a few days ago! Hopefully in Alpha 2.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TrashMan

I don't see it as a problem.
Overworked people are grumpy people.

A room to hang out and relax, let off some steam and socialize...that sounds good.
Normally that could be the dining room, but colonists don't gather.

Maybe having something as "break time" defined, during which all colonists that don't have critical work go to the dining room.

SPAZZx7

Just re-read this from yesterday and realized... I sound like a freaking slave driver... I was dead serious when I typed that mess too...

It would also be a welcomed add-on if you could force-send workers to this location without canceling all of their overview priorities.

JonoRig

Well, maybe, what would be nice, in line with this suggestion, is being able to set "social" hours, so it forces people to eat together, or hang out at ur flag statue, to increase social and what not, and that way you can contribute to a fear factor by having no time off; being a slave driver like Rikkada (accidently) suggests

TimMartland

Could be like the Prison Architect 'Staffroom'. Would allow people to sit down, chat, have a drink and relax. Could be integrated into a 'Bar' which travellers would visit, allowing you to buy things from them or ask them to join.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

JonoRig

Quote from: TimMartland on February 13, 2014, 01:36:46 PM
Could be like the Prison Architect 'Staffroom'. Would allow people to sit down, chat, have a drink and relax. Could be integrated into a 'Bar' which travellers would visit, allowing you to buy things from them or ask them to join.

Upon reading this thread, i originally thought bar; maybe (obv long way down the line in development) you could expand it, so maybe its an upgrade, or different social areas give different benefits (outside gets weather debuffs, but increased on good days due to atmosphere, fresh air; and bar gets alcohol buffs, unless they stay too long, and can eventually cause mental breaks[drunk])

Untrustedlife

Quote from: DeMatt on February 12, 2014, 06:37:31 PM
I'd like to suggest a constructible object - a "gather" or "rally" flag, or similar, that causes idle civilian colonists to wander near it instead of completely randomly.  I say "flag", but it could be a statue or monument of some kind.

This would allow idlers to socialize more easily, and would allow the player to set up an "idle" room, well-decorated and/or safe, for the idlers to get happy in.

Great Idea.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Basroks

Can't they just gather around the water cooler, like normal people? Or around the nutrient paste dispenser. Whatever.

Also, slightly on topic, I sometimes really wish for a go to bed, young man! Yes, now! command, because sometimes, little colonists don't realize that staying awake is what makes them so miserably tired.

Tynan

Quote from: Basroks on February 17, 2014, 08:33:42 PM
Can't they just gather around the water cooler, like normal people? Or around the nutrient paste dispenser. Whatever.

Also, slightly on topic, I sometimes really wish for a go to bed, young man! Yes, now! command, because sometimes, little colonists don't realize that staying awake is what makes them so miserably tired.

If they're tired, they'll always go to bed as their next action. The only thing that overrides that is firefighting and military stuff. Unless there's a bug, or they have no bed....

Nasikabatrachus

Quote from: Tynan on February 17, 2014, 10:28:18 PM
Quote from: Basroks on February 17, 2014, 08:33:42 PM

If they're tired, they'll always go to bed as their next action. The only thing that overrides that is firefighting and military stuff. Unless there's a bug, or they have no bed....

Sometimes a pawn will be in the middle of a hauling job that involves a long walk and be close to a mental break from tiredness alone. When that happens it's useful to recruit them and immediately unrecruit them: they'll drop what they're doing and go to bed.

Tynan

Makes sense; they only choose new jobs when they finish their current one (with some exceptions).