Murphy's Law

Started by Chibiabos, May 18, 2016, 08:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

Oddly enough, some folk have never heard of Murphy's Law.  In case you hadn't:  Murphy's law is an adage or epigram that is typically stated as: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.  Its commonly used to describe situations of unexpected combinations of events leading one to suspect fate is playing tricks on you.

Case in point:  I've played game after game after game hoping for a Psychopath with cooking trait to carve up some nice raiders, natives, and ... ermm ... yeah, expired colonists too.  I mean, why let all that meat go to waste?  But it gets hugely expensive in terms of social debuffs to the cook unless they have Psychopath as a trait ... IIRC, its -16 per corpse a cook has carved, and after some raids there are a lot of corpses to carve up.  But human meat goes so well to my hungry animals whom deserve to reap what they sew when they slay raiders ...

Anyway I finalyl gave up waiting for Psychopath as a trait with cooking, even clicking the re-roll randomizer waaaay too many times when creating a game, so I got EdB prepare carefully working again to ... well, yeah, cheat and give myself a Psychopath cook from the getgo.  And my very first 'Wanderer joins' that game?  Psychopath with cooking skill and passion .... GO FIGURE!

Murphy's law.  I tell you, its a thing! :P
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Shurp

You know your component assembly bench will suffer a breakdown and require components precisely when you don't have any spares, and have lots of steel to manufacture more... if you had a working component assembly bench.

(This is why I have two :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

AnDelusionalDog

Actually I would argue that Rimworld seems to run on Smith's law "Murphy was an optimist"

GarettZriwin

Zooks will appear in first pirate raid after you use lance.

If you use too much silver building sterile tiles you can expect exotic ship with lots of bionics you can't buy.

Weapon traders will only carry whole bags of awful silver weapons when you can't smelt yet and need to spare silver.

If you want someone healthy on permamode then there will be lots of eyegouging.

cultist

Quote from: Chibiabos on May 18, 2016, 08:49:47 PM
Anyway I finalyl gave up waiting for Psychopath as a trait with cooking, even clicking the re-roll randomizer waaaay too many times when creating a game, so I got EdB prepare carefully working again to ... well, yeah, cheat and give myself a Psychopath cook from the getgo.  And my very first 'Wanderer joins' that game?  Psychopath with cooking skill and passion .... GO FIGURE!

Murphy's law.  I tell you, its a thing! :P

That's not Murphy's Law? Nothing went wrong, you got what you wished for, just not at the time you wanted it.

By the way, if you want to feed raiders to your animals without getting debuffs, just feed them the corpses instead of chopping them up. You lose the leather that way though.

Travinsky

Fun Fact - RimWorld is actually an AI program that's sole purpose in life is not to advance humanity or to take over the Earth, instead its just enjoys slightly torturing people.

For me, Sod's Law has been far more prevalent based on how most of my colonies turn out.

Listen1

You know, Murphy's law is a good tool to prepare for the game.

"I have only one powerline connecting my geotermal and my freezer. It'll not break in winter..." Flashstorm in that place

"I think that there's no problem in letting my internal wall made of wood." "Zzzt"

If you always assume for the worst, you will be a good player of this game.

Killaim

ijust posted a base story on this very subject.

boomalopes herding gone bad - perfect description of this.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20302.0

Vaporisor

I prefer Gumperson's Law

"THE CONTRADICTORY OF A WELCOME PROBABILITY WILL ASSERT ITSELF WHENEVER SUCH AN EVENT IS LIKELY TO BE MOST FRUSTRATING."

Or anything that can go wrong, will go wrong but only at the worst possible time.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Chibiabos

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on May 19, 2016, 10:00:18 AM
You know, Murphy's law is a good tool to prepare for the game.

"I have only one powerline connecting my geotermal and my freezer. It'll not break in winter..." Flashstorm in that place

"I think that there's no problem in letting my internal wall made of wood." "Zzzt"

If you always assume for the worst, you will be a good player of this game.

Building redundancies will, of course, prove to be a waste because when you have backups, the primary won't fail, but wait long enough and everything will go out at once.  Kinda like how wearing a rain slicker and toting an umbrella along guarantees it won't rain and you'll be too hot.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!