Country Sayings

Started by Listen1, May 17, 2016, 01:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listen1

Hey guys, got some procrastination to do.

I'm wondering, what are the expressions your contry use?

In english, they have "It's a piece of cake" that means it is really easy.

In Brazil we use alot an expression "Trocar 6 por meia dúzia" that means "It's like trading six for half a duzen" meaning it stays the same.

This is more local to where I live, like "A Tentiada é livre" something like "Trying is free" We usually say that when someone is uncertain to do something, like "Should I talk to that girl? - Men, trying is free!"

So what are your? Translating this is horrible xD

Chibiabos

I'm not sure which of these originated in the U.S. as we tend to steal a lot from other nations, but here are some used the U.S.

"I need to see a man about a horse" said by men who work outdoors (lawn service, loggers, etc.) when they are about to disappear behind a tree or bush to urinate.

"Back forty" typically refers to a large backyard

"Gimme a hundred acres, I'll turn this rig around" to describe frustration at the large turning radius of a vehicle one is driving or often as simply "This thing drives like a truck."

"Getting to first base" ... first base draws from our affinity for baseball, of course, and this expression means getting someone you like romantically to go on a date with you or kiss you  (I've seen it used to mean either, though I'd think getting someone to kiss you would be second base).

"Good ole' boys club" used to refer to an organization (an employer or police department) with a lot of camaraderie and a lot of nepotism (only hires friends or relatives of the powers-that-be already there).
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Coenmcj

In Australia, we have
"You'll be right" when someone is injured, saying this will magically obsolve them of suffering, knowing they'll recover completely.

I'm sure there are a few others, but streuth... I'm too groggy, way too early in the morning.  I might edit this in the Arvo after I've done a maccas run ;D
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

milon

USA & Canada has sayings like:

"It's 6 of one or a half dozen of the other".  A half dozen is 6, so it's an expression that means the 2 options are equivalent (much like Brazil's expression, it seems).

"It's raining cats and dogs".  A bit archaic at this point, and if rumors are true, it comes from the medieval period when dogs and cats slept in the thatch roof and a torrential downpour could wash them out of the roof causing them to "rain" down.

There are many, MANY more, but I'm lazy right now.  ;D

Listen1

Actually there many more in Brazil too... But I... don't... remember?

milon

Here's another I just thought of: "As useless as tits on a bull."  (Yeah, I grew up in a very rural area!)

Chibiabos

Quote from: milon on May 21, 2016, 11:16:55 AM
Here's another I just thought of: "As useless as tits on a bull."  (Yeah, I grew up in a very rural area!)

How about "Rainin' like a horse pissin' on a flat rock" to describe an intense squall?

Listen1

Talking about piss,

"I'm gonna take some water off my knee" That's a weird way to say that you're gonna pee, but almost everyone knows it.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on May 22, 2016, 07:27:10 AM
Talking about piss,

"I'm gonna take some water off my knee" That's a weird way to say that you're gonna pee, but almost everyone knows it.

Hadn't heard that one, around here I mostly hear 'Going to see a man about a horse.'

milon

^ Ditto.  I've also heard "change my oil", but that's an older one and I haven't heard it for quite a while.

MisterVertigo

People in my part of the USA call soft drinks like Coke and Pepsi "Pop". I personally call it "Soda" because I'm different.  :)
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

Listen1

Yeah! We also say that we are gonna change the oil for pissing. Lube the throat is said for drinking "Cachaça", or another strong drink

Matthiasagreen

i have heard that the french equivalent to "raining cats and dogs" is "It is raining like a cow pees"
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Mr. Ego

In Argentina we say a lot of iconic phrases like: "Andate a la MOOH*" which means "get shitted", the Word "boludo" which one has too many meanings like "friend", "stupid friend", "that guy", "silly boy", etc... I know this aren´t he most representative phrases but it´s too hard to translate something from "Lunfardo" (slang) from spanish to english. It´s not the same as english to german or sapnish to portuguese. So did you enjoy it? 

Mr. Ego

When we are gonna "pee" we says (Argentinians) : "Voy a vaciar el tanque". It traslates like this: "I´m going to empty the water tank"