Hungry warg pups

Started by Sicdoc, May 15, 2016, 08:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sicdoc

My warg pups starve if the are restricted to a "animal zone 1" even tho said zone has the freezer included in it, with meat in there. Making a stockpile for just meat outside the freezer stops them from going hungry. I have seen them in the freezer so I know they can get in there. I now think animals won't eat frozen food! Anyone able to confirm this?

RemingtonRyder

I think it's more to do with the search algorithm which looks for food. Basically, animals can wander between parts of their area which are not joined together, but it may be that they can't actively look for food that way.

Kibble doesn't need to be frozen, so it can feed your animals if you put, for example, a small stockpile set to accept only kibble inside the animal sleeping area. The person assigned to make kibble will then take it directly there.

Of course, make sure to set a limit on your 'Make kibble' bill.

Chibiabos

Quote from: MarvinKosh on May 15, 2016, 09:32:43 PM
I think it's more to do with the search algorithm which looks for food. Basically, animals can wander between parts of their area which are not joined together, but it may be that they can't actively look for food that way.

Kibble doesn't need to be frozen, so it can feed your animals if you put, for example, a small stockpile set to accept only kibble inside the animal sleeping area. The person assigned to make kibble will then take it directly there.

Of course, make sure to set a limit on your 'Make kibble' bill.

IIRC, wargs cannot eat kibble.  Only meat or corpses.  Not sure if pups can eat kibble.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

hifpoly

I will rearrange the warg to sleep closer to where the food stored. Or maybe even let it sleep in there as long as temperature is not too low. But in this way, you have to store your pawns meals separately. Otherwise the warg may go to eat the meals instead.

skullywag

If they are just warning you every now and then and dont actually atarve its probably the bug with small animals is this alpha. They cant hold enough food in their stomachs to last the night so start to starve in the night. Might not be but thought id mention it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

The-MathMog

The way I deal with this, is that I've actually turned my Warg Den with their sleeping spots, into a freezer. Then I store a few tiles of meat in there, + a dumb zone for dead raiders. So if they wake up and are hungry, they will eat. And luckily, hitting starvation from time to time isn't deadly. At the worst, it will make a pregnant animal miscarry.
Easy profitable way to get rid of corpses, as they even eat the rotten ones.

Michael_3kk

Make new Animal zone in freezer and when they are starving sent them to that zone. Its not the best solution but it works for me.

b0rsuk

There's definitely an issue with animals not detecting food. Question is, is it caused by distance or they truly don't like frozen meat ?

If they dislike frozen meat, what's the purpose of that ? Make them prefer colonists over carrion ?