Is rimworld = earth ?

Started by Bastobasto, May 17, 2016, 05:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bastobasto

I know I sound stupid,but I never asked myself this question until now ( one of my colonist do a art where there is written " Landing on earth" )

EscapeZeppelin

Bastobasto

So why is there written on one of my colonist art : "This illustration show Roy landing on earth in his pod"

Lys

Because the pile of dirt he landed on is "earth". It is another term for the soil.

Bastobasto

( Wath I said is not excacly wath it said,so no )

Ace_livion

3 Colonists !?
Earth, dirt, Soil? 3 again?
Illuminati confirmed !?
"The Earth Landing" was a hoax !

Bastobasto

( If somebody know how to know URL of one of our picture,I will send one )

Element4ry

Easy way to get your images visible for other is just uploading it on http://imgur.com/

Also, take a look at these to get better feel of Rimworld setting:
Rimworld Universe Quick Primer
Longsleep Revival Briefing
·–·· ––– ··· · / –·–– ––– ··– ·–· / –– ·· –· –·· / –··–· / · ·– – / –·–– ––– ··– ·–· / –·–· ·–· · ·––

AnDelusionalDog

I would assume either it meant "earth" as in dirt like others have said...

Another possibility would be the artist was making a sculptor of the day he returns to earth even though it may be impossible... I know if I was stranded on an alien world I would paint/sculpt my dreams of returning.

Lascer

If it wasn't capitalized, it didn't mean the planet Earth. If it was capitalized... it was likely an error of one sort or another. Game is still in alpha, meaning there will be some of those kinds of errors.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Lascer on May 18, 2016, 03:22:25 AM
If it wasn't capitalized, it didn't mean the planet Earth. If it was capitalized... it was likely an error of one sort or another. Game is still in alpha, meaning there will be some of those kinds of errors.

I agree with this. I assume if they are putting capitalized Earth there on purpose for now, they will eventually replace it with a variable that will have the actual planet name generated during world creation.

b0rsuk

It certainly feels like Rimworld happens on Earth! All planets look alike. Only Earth plants. Animals very similar to Earth animals. One sun, very similar seasons. No diseases that feel alien.

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 18, 2016, 09:30:32 AM
It certainly feels like Rimworld happens on Earth! All planets look alike. Only Earth plants. Animals very similar to Earth animals. One sun, very similar seasons. No diseases that feel alien.

In the Rimworld universe there are no aliens, and likely all life originated on Earth. All the animals and plants are Earth life because the colonists brought them there.

Reddeath96

Well think about it like this. On the main menu there is a picture of a broken up ship. In relation to the planet that ship is huge. I Came up with the idea that the ship is filled with thousands of people and animals that were supposed to come down in a process. This would be with ship getting to the planet successfuly, releasing the animals, getting attacked or destroyed in some matter causing the people on the ship to be sent down sporadically over hundreds of years.

MarcTheMerc

In the Rimworld lore, Rimworlds are planets on the edges (rims) of inhabited space with earth being in the middle so to say. Given the planets you generate in game have varying names I am sure you're not in kanses anymore.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs