[A13] mipen's Mechanical Defence 2 (V0.1 / 18.5.2016)

Started by bigmap, May 18, 2016, 02:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NephilimNexus

Quote from: Techgenius on May 24, 2016, 01:29:36 PM
Why is it so hard to update the Droids? as far as I know all the scripts/codes are in place, are they not? do these droids communicate and marry each other like in MAI? because these droids appear to be more multifunctional than the.. synths Haplo created, yes. THEY ARE SYNTHS, "androids" and the like. But not droids. Droids are inferior btw? according to Stellaris they are.

I don't know anything about coding, but I can tell how droids used to work.  You are correct: They didn't function like colonists at all.  They had different body parts and different damage models.  They used energy from recharge pads and that was it.  They didn't have emotions or social interactions.  Each one had a function that they did and nothing else.  Some droids cleaned, some hauled, some crafted, some farmed, some did combat (poorly).  Each type had it's own sprites.

MAI is pretty much what I meant by "colonist in a droid skin."  Because that's pretty much what MAI is.  Like you said, a FO4 style Gen3 synth, functionally indistinguishable from human.  Mippen's droids were like Star Wars droids.  Very obviously mechanical.  To me, that's what made them better.  A robot with a Joy need defeats the purpose.

Techgenius

Quote from: NephilimNexus on May 25, 2016, 01:37:29 AM
Quote from: Techgenius on May 24, 2016, 01:29:36 PM
Why is it so hard to update the Droids? as far as I know all the scripts/codes are in place, are they not? do these droids communicate and marry each other like in MAI? because these droids appear to be more multifunctional than the.. synths Haplo created, yes. THEY ARE SYNTHS, "androids" and the like. But not droids. Droids are inferior btw? according to Stellaris they are.

I don't know anything about coding, but I can tell how droids used to work.  You are correct: They didn't function like colonists at all.  They had different body parts and different damage models.  They used energy from recharge pads and that was it.  They didn't have emotions or social interactions.  Each one had a function that they did and nothing else.  Some droids cleaned, some hauled, some crafted, some farmed, some did combat (poorly).  Each type had it's own sprites.

MAI is pretty much what I meant by "colonist in a droid skin."  Because that's pretty much what MAI is.  Like you said, a FO4 style Gen3 synth, functionally indistinguishable from human.  Mippen's droids were like Star Wars droids.  Very obviously mechanical.  To me, that's what made them better.  A robot with a Joy need defeats the purpose.

The way you describe it.. Oh, the melancholy!  I came after these droids so I can only image what they were like, you could manufacture these droids in game or you bought them? even so, that.. with prepare carefully must have been awesome, why no one took the initiative and updated it to the latest is beyond me, it's clearly a feature everyone misses, at least the majority, I think.. MAIs are synthetics, no question about it, the way they behave, the way the machine misguides itself into "feeling", man.. I wish we had a robotic revolution mod, where you build drones, basic robots and droids all the way to Synths that can feel "slaved" and "malfunction" against the Colony

I wish Tynan could see this, take notes and give us something like it in the unmodded game.

ghostangel

branch?

how lit was it

skullywag

Think they just want droids which hasnt been updated. Im debating doing a droid mod (well ive started one) but its not based on this as the code to handle this is horendous to work with (hence this hasnt been updated) so im trying a different approach. Its gonna be a while though.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

branch?

Quote from: Canute on June 29, 2016, 02:02:27 AM
I don't think there is anything broken, or more people would have trouble.
What is your trouble ?
- Do you use the right mod version for the right Rimworld version ?
- Allways delete old mod folder before you install the new one, overwrite can cause some trouble.

I mean instead of coming in a package every mod is separate zips?
how lit was it

Techgenius

Quote from: skullywag on June 29, 2016, 03:28:35 AM
Think they just want droids which hasnt been updated. Im debating doing a droid mod (well ive started one) but its not based on this as the code to handle this is horendous to work with (hence this hasnt been updated) so im trying a different approach. Its gonna be a while though.

Well, its obvious you should continue, people here have been craving for a multi-task droid mod, that means you're in a perfect position to not only remake Mipen's droids, but improve it, make more droid types, battledroids, super battledroids types, mechanoids even. Giving purpose to these "backgrounds" you can chose with pawns.

ghostangel

Quote from: Techgenius on June 30, 2016, 11:25:21 AM
Quote from: skullywag on June 29, 2016, 03:28:35 AM

Well, its obvious you should continue, people here have been craving for a multi-task droid mod, that means you're in a perfect position to not only remake Mipen's droids, but improve it, make more droid types, battledroids, super battledroids types, mechanoids even. Giving purpose to these "backgrounds" you can chose with pawns.

Great idea!!!

skullywag

well currently the bots (quadcopter and roomba) can be crafter or sold, they do hauling and cleaning autonomously, cannot be controlled repaired charged or anything like that and go "downed" when the "RCU" (robot control unit) is not present or unpowered, the RCU requires an AI Core to build. Its early days but ill be expanding on it at some point.

scoin

Quote from: skullywag on July 01, 2016, 09:29:10 AM
well currently the bots (quadcopter and roomba) can be crafter or sold, they do hauling and cleaning autonomously, cannot be controlled repaired charged or anything like that and go "downed" when the "RCU" (robot control unit) is not present or unpowered, the RCU requires an AI Core to build. Its early days but ill be expanding on it at some point.

not going to lie those 2 droids are mostly the ones i really want cause it takes forever for my colonists to do things when stuff gets back logged and i gotta stop for them to clean the place up and restock the stockpiles

kaptain_kavern

Hey Skull ! Long time no see pal. Still modded to death ? :p

Is RimBots the mod you talked about earlier?

Is it playable atm? (last update 2 month ago)

For people that want bots you can try Misc. Robots. There is even a tutorial to make your own (there)

skullywag

It is that mod. I think thats playable there will be wierdness and bugs though. Ive been working on an A14 version locally but its not much further along than that version.

LustrousWolf

Topper

the droids were a great endgame for rimworld..too bad they have been abandoned.

sparklingmagma

Is this mod going to updated to A14 anytime soon?