TIP: Grow crops around Wind Turbines to keep them clear of obstructing trees

Started by Chibiabos, May 18, 2016, 05:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

I have seen popular and talented "Let's Play" gamecasters on Youtube doing a Rimworld series make some gaffes that indicate to me a lot of folk may not realize what will or will not obstruct wind turbines.  A popular one recently expressed surprise to find out that (non-tree) crops and solar panels don't obstruct wind turbines ... so I presume some other players don't realize this, etiher.

Aside from trees, crops do not obstruct wind turbines.  In fact I find they're a great way to help keep wind turbines clear of trees (trees do obstruct wind turbines, lowering their power output) because your farmers will keep cutting down any plants other than the crops that are supposed to be growing there.  If its generally poor soil, you might consider cotton or haygrass or somesuch, or healroot more for the sake of something low-maintenance to prevent wild trees from taking seed there for a long term than actually expecting output from planting that particular field.

An even cheaper option in terms of never having to maintain once built is to simply install flooring within the 'white range' of the wind turbine (the range that must be kept clear for the turbine to function effectively -- though note I have noticed that trees adjacent to but not inside the white box will still obstruct the win turbine).
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Shurp

I plant corn, since it takes a long time to grow so needs little maintenance, and if it does reach a harvest before the end-of-summer snowfall I get a bonanza of extra food.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Shurp on May 18, 2016, 05:54:36 PM
I plant corn, since it takes a long time to grow so needs little maintenance, and if it does reach a harvest before the end-of-summer snowfall I get a bonanza of extra food.

Yup, doesn't hurt. :P  Could also do healroot or devilstrand both of which take even longer than corn, if I recall correctly.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

milon

Personally, I stick a solar panel or two in the wind turbine's path.  Doesn't interfere with the turbine at all.  It doesn't fit it up perfectly, so I use the remaining space for growing something inconsequential like flowers of some sort.

JimmyAgnt007

I mod the ships antimatter reactor to be build-able indoors and produce 100k power. 

But this is a good idea for early game.  Thanks.

Shurp

Yeah, but you'll never actually harvest healroot or devilstrand outside on a boreal forest / tundra map.  Whereas in summertime you may actually get a corn harvest.  Extra food, hooray!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Silvador