Disabling harvesting not sowing?

Started by AnDelusionalDog, May 20, 2016, 03:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnDelusionalDog

I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

I know I can select a growing zone and disable sowing which is nice however is there any way to disable harvesting? Or at least a way to force someone to sow as opposed to harvest?

I constantly have growers harvesting 2 plants in a zone that's ready for harvest and then they walk over to a zone that needs to be sowed and sow 2 plants.... It's annoying.

So let me know if i'm overlooking something or if there's a mod.

If this isn't in the game it should be.

Thanks for any info... it's greatly appreciated

AnDelusionalDog

Another question related to gardening but not really.... just didnt want to start another thread.

I have a colonist that lost their right index finger. Wasn't in a fight or anything. The only thing I can think of was that he was either sowing or harvesting when I noticed it.

So can a colonist lose a finger while harvesting/sowing? Or did I just not notice what happened.

Damien Hart

Question one, your best bet is to set up areas and restrict your colonists that way.

Question two, colonists can't injure themselves working, so you must have noticed it then by coincidence. Colonists can start with injuries from before your game begins.

AnDelusionalDog

Thanks very much. I know he didnt start with that injury... something must have happened prior to the gardening. Although it would be neat IMO if a low skill gardener hacked off a finger accidentally.

I do need to start messing with zoning my colonists I have only messed with the animal zoning as of yet.

Again thanks for the quick reply!

cultist

The "growing" job includes harvesting mature plants. There is no way I know of to restrict pawns to sowing and not harvesting. Zones might help, but it sounds rather micro-managey to me as you would have to change zones for several pawns when you want to harvest (unless you have only one grower).

My solution is to make a growing zone, clear it and then allow sowing. Once the field is fully sowed, I disable sowing on that field until all/most of the crops are ready. Alternatively, you can mark all crops in the field for plant cutting once pawns start harvesting. You'll lose a bit of the harvest (because not all plants are fully grown) but the process wastes much less pawn time.

Another thing you can do is make sure the entire growing zone is the same terrain and that the entire field is sowed in one go. That way the crops will mature at roughly the same time.

Damien Hart

Depends how you set it up I guess. If you have all of your colonists in one zone at a time, yes it could be heavy on the micro side, but if you have things set up so they're permanently divided between them, it would only require micro in the beginning while you work out the best placement.

Either way, micromanagement will usually be more efficient than letting things go on their own, so it really just comes down to how much you want to manage your colony or how much you want to let the simulation run on its own.

b0rsuk

WHY do you want to make them keep sowing, but not harvest ? It's fruitless. I smell you're trying to solve another problem.

You set a growing zone, let them sow a field, then delete the growing zone. No, they won't be sowing plants once the first wave dies because of lifespan, but it's a tool.

I wish it was possible to cycle plants. Rice first, then healroots, then hops etc.

cultist

Quote from: Damien Hart on May 20, 2016, 11:07:37 AM
Depends how you set it up I guess. If you have all of your colonists in one zone at a time, yes it could be heavy on the micro side, but if you have things set up so they're permanently divided between them, it would only require micro in the beginning while you work out the best placement.

Either way, micromanagement will usually be more efficient than letting things go on their own, so it really just comes down to how much you want to manage your colony or how much you want to let the simulation run on its own.

Yeah my point was that it's easier (for me) to micro growing zones than micro pawns. All kinds of factors play into pawn management. Growing zone management is usually pretty simple.