Hunting Spot Workshop

Started by SpaceDorf, May 15, 2016, 09:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArguedPiano

SpaceDorf, I suggest you check out Fluffy's Colony Manager Mod. It does almost exactly what you are describing here.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16888.0
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

b0rsuk

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on May 17, 2016, 09:03:54 AM
I talk about something like this in a thread here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20100.0

The bill would be at the butcher shop and should be simple enough to avoid tedious management.  Maybe with an inbuilt meat limit, so if you have over x meat it just stops where x is the total meat the colony has regardless of the specific type of animal meat.
It's a crude tool to tell colonists where to hunt. 60 tiles might be in a forest or in the middle of marsh. It might be in your fields or next to a crashed ship part.

In short, table-based and spot-based hunting bills would require several tables for precise control. You would have to set stockpiles and other settings for each.

crazyarms

^This was my concern.
I see pros and cons for the spot/table bills as you would be able to limit the number of times he goes hunting "Hunt X Times" but the radius of the spot may make hunting grounds less than ideal
Imagine playing on a moutainous map with several areas divided by the moutains, you'd have to make multiple spots for hunting (not so bad since it was free..?) but would your hunter have to return to the random hunting spot after depositing his kill that you placed much father from your base?

I like the idea of a zone rather than a fixed radius. Like hunting grounds, where you can check off what types of animals you want to be killed in the particular area. The main drawback compared to bill based hunting as I see it are not being able to prioritize which animals are killed first.

Both still may have an issue with animals moving through the zones (or radius) but honestly this is how I see it:
Squirrel enters zone
Elmer grabs his gun and goes hunting
Elmer gets to zones
Squirrel Leaves zones
(what should he do now?)
My preference: Elmer Continues to hunt the coward squirrel until the squirrel is dead, he gets sleepy(or bored? lol), or he gets hungry just cause thats how hunting really is.

The alternative is Elmer leaves empty handed. only for the squirrel to prance back through the zone mocking him.

Chthonic One

Crazyarms, in your example, could the squirrel get marked with a hunting icon the second a hunter chooses to target it? This way the hunter can continue the hunt until the squirrel is dead or has left your area, even if he decides to go get dinner first.

crazyarms

Possibly?
Brings up a good point, I'd rather him continue the hunt if he were close... but if he went all the way back home for dinner then it could be annoying, especially if the animal is now quite a distance from the orginal zone...
I'm not sure how all the coding works out, but I believe after he finishes eating it will "reroll" to see his next task? (someone correct me if I am wrong here)

My original thought was much like how colonists reserve a task, he would reserve the animal he was hunting and hunt it much like a normal hunter would. The hunting ground /zone is most important when he is looking for a task.
So if he did indeed stop hunting to eat (rather him eat than run around until he starved to death), then I guess he would check to see his next task and if the animal was no longer in the zone he would ignore it...