Is there a development mode option for this?

Started by Roth, May 21, 2016, 11:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roth

So i'm curious if there is any way to spawn something specific like lets say your spawning a charge rifle and it comes out shoddy, is there anyway to spawn it specifically with something being Legendary also for Armor Vests being plasteel + Legendary?

Mossy piglet

Tardigrades are superior to all other life forms in every way.

Ps I secretly am one I am the king of their civilization.

Roth

The-MathMog

I haven't figured out the full capabilities of it myself yet. But yes, there is a developers mode.

Go into options, there you can check it. Some menus should appear in the top. In one of those you can spawn and manipulate the world. Instantaneously creating structures, and forcing events. 

Roth

Quote from: The-MathMog on May 21, 2016, 04:47:30 PM
I haven't figured out the full capabilities of it myself yet. But yes, there is a developers mode.

Go into options, there you can check it. Some menus should appear in the top. In one of those you can spawn and manipulate the world. Instantaneously creating structures, and forcing events.
I already know there is but my question is if you can spawn something specific like if you select it to be plasteel and legendary , then if you spawn it 3 or 4 or 10 more times it will still be plasteel and legendary instead of it being random or instead of it spawning in as shoddy, poor , awful etc.

Coenmcj

I havn't found a way to do so, you can just keep creating those Gladii until they come out plasteel+legendary and use the destroy tool to remove the rest, but unfortunately there is no current way to create a specific 'stuffed' item.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Roth

Quote from: Coenmcj on May 22, 2016, 03:06:41 AM
I havn't found a way to do so, you can just keep creating those Gladii until they come out plasteel+legendary and use the destroy tool to remove the rest, but unfortunately there is no current way to create a specific 'stuffed' item.
Dang, alright well i do that also but it takes quite a lot of clicking + luck also i have to spam my mouse just to destroy em but i just wanted to find out if there was an easy way or not.

FlorenceTWA

Quote from: Roth on May 22, 2016, 03:34:32 AM
Dang, alright well i do that also but it takes quite a lot of clicking + luck also i have to spam my mouse just to destroy em but i just wanted to find out if there was an easy way or not.

Well, you can spawn one thing and go open your savefile and change it to plasteel and legendary. Takes a bit of searching and requires a tiny bit of familiarity with the code itself but that's all.
(Basically EVERYTHING can be edited this way)

Roth

Quote from: FlorenceTWA on May 22, 2016, 05:02:46 AM
Quote from: Roth on May 22, 2016, 03:34:32 AM

Well, you can spawn one thing and go open your savefile and change it to plasteel and legendary. Takes a bit of searching and requires a tiny bit of familiarity with the code itself but that's all.
(Basically EVERYTHING can be edited this way)
Do i have to reload the game after i edit the save file or just the save file?

FlorenceTWA

I think loading the edited file is enough. Do keep in mind though, if you edit the file in some wrong way, the game's gonna crash anyway...  ;D

milon

^ Erm, no.  I doubt editing the save while playing RimWorld would have any effect.  I'm pretty sure that RimWorld just keeps everything in memory, and any changes you make would get overwritten on the next save.  If you want to see your changes take effect, then you need to load the save file after you edit it.

Roth

Quote from: FlorenceTWA on May 22, 2016, 07:49:18 AM
I think loading the edited file is enough. Do keep in mind though, if you edit the file in some wrong way, the game's gonna crash anyway...  ;D
Welp i wish there was an easy way to do it, i hope there would be some God Sent guy that would make or add an option to do that lol.

FlorenceTWA

Quote from: milon on May 23, 2016, 10:15:48 AM
^ Erm, no.  I doubt editing the save while playing RimWorld would have any effect.  I'm pretty sure that RimWorld just keeps everything in memory, and any changes you make would get overwritten on the next save.  If you want to see your changes take effect, then you need to load the save file after you edit it.

Thanks for the explanation! Though I kinda feel your "you need to load the save file after you edit it" and my "I think loading the edited file is enough" is actually the same thing...  ;)

To be fair, I wasn't being 100% precise when describing it. Should have said sth like "No need to restart the game, just leave the save/load menu there, go edit file, and load it right after editing".  :D (I used to just close the game and open it later... Then eventually I realised it wasn't necessary at all)