[A13] [OVERHAUL] [WIP] Rimworld Ascension v1.0.1 (23.04.16)

Started by Wivex, May 22, 2016, 07:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killer117

I like the look of this mod. Just wondering how ur gonna do the medieval stage. U mentioned ishs medieval mod. I played it to the point of insanity (seriously, my colonists are all rocking and crying in a corner muttering something bout plate mail) and i know that while it added many great features, it made u weak as if u depended on it during late game raids vs mechs and heavy raiders. I was wondering u could posibly try to have the world up grade with u, with each faction upgrading at a interactive pace, with some sort of points system implemented.

What i mean is, each pawn that faction has on ur map is worth points depending on his value and that of his gear. Now each pawn that safetly passes through ur area gives that faction points. Enough points upgrades the faction to the next tech lvl. An injured pawn with his equipment taked away is worth fewer points. No points if they dont survive. This gives u an incentive to wipe out raider bands while guarding helpful factions. Mechs can just be disabled.

I know it dosent fit in with the rimworld storyline. But if this or a similar system isnt in place, what to stop lovely randy random letting my neolithic tribesmen meet laser wielding centerpedes.

Also, during the medieval stage, would u be capable of implementing any time specific tactics. Attacking companies of men walking in a column formation, then spreading out in a long rank several men deep to attack. Archers at the back, swordsem up front, cavalry (or something of the like) on the sides.

And as one last point. I think u should add in another stage. An archaic stage. This where man was not advanced in metalworks and used bronze and copper, with coal as a main smithing material and stone as thier main building material.

I hope u consider these suggestions. I know many may be undoable but i know i would love this mod a great deal if it contained a few of these things.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

BlackSmokeDMax

Couple of issues (or maybe some are working as intended)

-Can't seem to get any right-click prioritization after a couple of minutes of playing. Will try to reload and see if that comes back. Seems to have gone away while trying to rush my research bench.
edit 1: still haven't restarted yet, but just found that prioritizing treatment does work, so it's an even stranger thing now, still plan to restart
edit 2: seems hauling prioritization is still working as well. May have to start a list of what is not working, rushing the chopping wood is definitely not working, nor rushing any construction of craft tables.

-Can't add medicine to a stockpile. Clicking on it in the storage tab makes a sound but doesn't change it from a red X. Nor can you expand the arrow next to the medicine category. I do have medicine to put in the stockpile.

-Can harvest grass (hay) with the harvest order tool, but not by clicking on the tile itself and then clicking a harvest button, like would be possible with wild berries.

Wivex

Quote from: killer117 on May 23, 2016, 08:56:27 AM
I like the look of this mod. Just wondering how ur gonna do the medieval stage...

Well, first of all factions won't progress in tech levels, there will be multiple factions for each tech level instead. I still haven't decided yet how to properly make interactions between factions of the different tech stage. The only i can think of now, it artificial restriction to forbid interaction with factions of higher tech level than your colony (colony tech level will progress with milestone researches), as if they are not interested in your presence (there still can be unique incidents like space slavers assaulting you medieval village, looking for slaves, etc...). Anyway, it will require futher discussion, cause there are also limitations to what rules i can actually add to the game (any change to the Core classes is a unique kind of struggle).

And as one last point. I think u should add in another stage. An archaic stage. This where man was not advanced in metalworks and used bronze and copper, with coal as a main smithing material and stone as thier main building material...

Speaking of archaic stage, it would lack unique content. I try to add maximum variety to each stage, with not only unique buildings and items, but unique gameplay. Like neolithic stage is focused on survival, setting up farms and hunting. Medieval adds metallurgy, advanced production chains and farming. Midworld would require resources that you can't "gather", so you would need to build your production on trading and so on.

If one day we will have all of those 4 base tech stages working, i wouldn't mind expanding them or adding new ones.

Wivex

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on May 23, 2016, 09:14:43 AM
-Can't seem to get any right-click prioritization after a couple of minutes of playing.

Prioritization is not meant to be working with tools at all, since it's a complicated job consisting of subjobs (reserving tool for work, doing job itself, returning tool, reserving current weapon if needed) and breaking those chains would break everything. Also, i personally think there shouldn't be any manual job orders at all (only inderect control), except for combat, but i'm not touching this field yet.

-Can't add medicine to a stockpile. Clicking on it in the storage tab makes a sound but doesn't change it from a red X. Nor can you expand the arrow next to the medicine category. I do have medicine to put in the stockpile.

ThingFilters (which are used in stockpiles) are not working well with vanilla items atm, since all vanilla items meant to be redefined (medicine was not, so it's not seen by stockpile yet). Will be done in the future.

-Can harvest grass (hay) with the harvest order tool, but not by clicking on the tile itself and then clicking a harvest button, like would be possible with wild berries.

It's done intentionally, cause making grass selectable would clutter game controls in a bad way. What i could do is adding special designator to harvest grass. Also, currently handaxe tool (and multitool as part of it) is used for all plant cutting. It's wrong, and will be fixed later to work for trees only. Harvesting job will be performed without tool requirement.

BlackSmokeDMax

Great so that means everything working as intended at the moment then, or as best possible any way. Cool.

For now I've built a building around the crater where the medicine landed to keep it indoors. Should be an easy enough work around for now.

Was also going to make a thread about the research not happening, then I figured out/realized the materials thing related to that (in this case - butchering) and all I have to say is that it is god damn brilliant! Well done!

BlackSmokeDMax

I have some questions in regards to baskets.

1. With food in them, does the food not spoil at all? I ask this because with berries in there, I'm not seeing any info on that.
2. Will wild animals be able to eat out of them?
3. Will items be taken out of there as needed, or is this a form of long term, manual storage?
4. Are they something that can be outside with items inside not degrading?

Thanks!

Goldenpotatoes

The recent expansion of overhaul mods that add difficulty without going balls-to-the-wall like the hardcore pack is a nice change of pace, will definitely be watching this thread for future reference. Core game was ruined for me when I was shown the way of the mods, so hopefully this'll help breathe some new life into rimworld for me.

Wivex

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on May 23, 2016, 09:49:26 AM

1. With food in them, does the food not spoil at all? I ask this because with berries in there, I'm not seeing any info on that.
3. Will items be taken out of there as needed, or is this a form of long term, manual storage?

1,4. They don't deteriorate in containers, but can spoil. The basket will be changed later, when proper transition to the new ThingCategory (ThingFilter) system will be complete. It would be able to contain items and some types of raw resources. As for food preservation, there is a special container type (clay pot) for that, which slows spoilage by 20%. There will be proper freezers later on though.

2,3. All items in containers are accessable as if they are lying on the ground.

AllenWL

Quote from: Wivex on May 23, 2016, 09:31:26 AM
I like the look of this mod. Just wondering how ur gonna do the medieval stage...

Well, first of all factions won't progress in tech levels, there will be multiple factions for each tech level instead. I still haven't decided yet how to properly make interactions between factions of the different tech stage. The only i can think of now, it artificial restriction to forbid interaction with factions of higher tech level than your colony (colony tech level will progress with milestone researches), as if they are not interested in your presence (there still can be unique incidents like space slavers assaulting you medieval village, looking for slaves, etc...). Anyway, it will require futher discussion, cause there are also limitations to what rules i can actually add to the game (any change to the Core classes is a unique kind of struggle).
What if you use the wealth system? Like, each item of the next tech level has a corresponding wealth level, and unless you have a certain wealth threshold, the chances of getting raided by factions with high tech levels drop drastically.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Wivex on May 23, 2016, 10:16:34 AM
Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on May 23, 2016, 09:49:26 AM

1,4. They don't deteriorate in containers, but can spoil. The basket will be changed later, when proper transition to the new ThingCategory (ThingFilter) system will be complete. It would be able to contain items and some types of raw resources. As for food preservation, there is a special container type (clay pot) for that, which slow spoilage by 20%. There will be proper freezers later on though.

2,3. All items in containers are accesable as if they are lying one the ground.

Thanks for the info. Liking this more and more!

Daïkï97427

After me and my team testing it we have noticed : Graphic bug with palissade contact with another wall / natural rock wall (Put the wall under the palissade and you will see.                            : After killing 3 feral full stuffed bones armor and equip their stuff, mood :-6 Naked , should have something underwear ?                                                       : Error message causing by the grave + the grave disapearing after building / burying
                                                                         : The caravan guy stay forever , dying of malnutrition (I don't know , cause we arrest him and loot his bananas stuff before he die of starvation) He sleep only when the sleeping bar is empty ;/ and never attemped to eat :d (i tried , i drop some human meat near him  8)

Wivex

Quote from: AllenWL on May 23, 2016, 10:48:58 AM
What if you use the wealth system? Like, each item of the next tech level has a corresponding wealth level, and unless you have a certain wealth threshold, the chances of getting raided by factions with high tech levels drop drastically.

Ofc, that or similar system would be better and not so artificial. The only difficulty here is making a proper balance and thresholds. Which again would require someone else, besides me, to do. Balancing require too much playtesting, which i personally can't do.

Wivex

Quote from: Daïkï97427 on May 23, 2016, 11:19:09 AM
After me and my team testing it we have noticed : Graphic bug with palissade contact with another wall / natural rock wall (Put the wall under the palissade and you will see.                            : After killing 3 feral full stuffed bones armor and equip their stuff, mood :-6 Naked , should have something underwear ?                                                       : Error message causing by the grave + the grave disapiring after building / burying
                                                                         : The caravan guy stay forever , dying of malnutrition (I don't know , cause we arrest him and loot his bananas stuff before he die of starvation) He sleep only when the sleeping bar is empty ;/ and never attemped to eat :d (i tried , i drop some human meat near him  8)

Dafaq happend to this message format?  :o Anyway, there are tons of bugs and odd stuff in RA defs, cause nobody has done proper playtesting,  balancing, and bugfixing of defs yet. i'm looking for people who could help me do that. Nevertheless, keep posting those oddities if you can, i'll do a small break for a day or two, record all those bugs and continue to work on mod and bugfixing. Hope i'll find a few people to form a proper RA dev team by that time too.

Daïkï97427

Quote from: Wivex on May 23, 2016, 11:27:52 AM
Quote from: Daïkï97427 on May 23, 2016, 11:19:09 AM
After me and my team testing it we have noticed : Graphic bug with palissade contact with another wall / natural rock wall (Put the wall under the palissade and you will see.                            : After killing 3 feral full stuffed bones armor and equip their stuff, mood :-6 Naked , should have something underwear ?                                                       : Error message causing by the grave + the grave disapiring after building / burying

Dafaq happend to this message format?  :o Anyway, there are tons of bugs and odd stuff in RA defs, cause nobody has done proper playtesting,  balancing, and bugfixing of defs yet. i'm looking for people who could help me do that. Nevertheless, keep posting those oddities if you can, i'll do a small break for a day or two, record all those bugs and continue to work on mod and bugfixing. Hope i'll find a few people to form a proper RA dev team by that time too.
XD ! OH and Bowman can wield shield :/ i almost forgot that :d