How to hack Malaria away?

Started by linkfanpc, May 23, 2016, 03:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linkfanpc

Quote from: Shurp on May 24, 2016, 07:02:23 PM
If your colonist is only gaining 2% immunity per day, something is wrong.  Either she has no kidneys, she's running around instead of staying in bed, or she's not being treated.

*normally* a good doctor and some healroot will bump immunity up by something like 30% per day.(I don't recall exactly how much but I know that my guys usually reach 100% immunity shortly after major)

Lol, i'm an idiot. She had her left kidney destroyed in a fight. Still think she should atleast have a chance tho.
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude.
\o
|\
/ \

JimmyAgnt007

Why?  Sometimes there are people you just cant save.  Tynan wants there to be a realistic possibility of death all the time.  Not some super colony that never looses everyone because you got a thing to fix everything.

That being said, cant you replace the kidney?

MarcTheMerc

Open the Dev console
Add hediff
Remove part
Click on colonist
Click 'no body part' button (top left of console)
Diseases gone.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Boston

I find threads like this hilarious.

The game is supposed to be deadly. Rimworld is a widely unsettled frontier, with appropriate dangers. Not some vacation planet with associated spa and feet massages.

In reality, disease was, and still is, the #1 killer of humanity. Usually easily-preventable ones, like.....-gasp- water-borne diseases (parasites), infections, and insect-borne diseases. Soooo..... the most recent diseases that everyone complains about.

The colonist does, in fact, "have a chance". She just probably won't make it. Such is life. Such is Rimworld.

Boba Phat

Quote from: Boston on May 26, 2016, 01:28:56 PM
The game is supposed to be deadly.

Yes, but it's a GAME.  In the real world random, unavoidable things happen and there's no chance of escape, no hope of survival.  You wake up one day with lymphoma or a necrotizing fascitis and poof, you're dead.  I've played Roguelikes for a long time and beaten NetHack a couple of times.  I don't mind if a game is vicious, but it shouldn't be unfair.  You should never be put in a position where a random number says nothing you do will make any difference.  Otherwise, why bother playing?  I could just flip a coin and say if it comes up heads I win, then not even have to bother loading it up.

ShadowTani

Quote from: Boba Phat on September 03, 2016, 07:59:18 AM
You should never be put in a position where a random number says nothing you do will make any difference.  Otherwise, why bother playing?  I could just flip a coin and say if it comes up heads I win, then not even have to bother loading it up.

You're right that impossible odds shouldn't happen in a game, that's poor game design. That's why an insect infestation with instantly spawned insects causing an unluckily present pawn getting ganked right away is an insta-savescum from me.

However, this malaria situation was not a case of impossible odds, it was a consequence of neglect creeping up on him. He could have replaced the lost kidney for example. So no, a difference could have been made, he just reached a point of no return. In the tropical areas where diseases are more rampant replacing damaged or lost kidney's should be top priority, if a part or donor isn't immediately available we also now got malaria-blocks to tide you over as a preventive measure. And if you aren't able to get any of those easily then there is always ancient cryptosleep caskets on every map now (haven't found one without at least) that you can take over and store that colonist in until you are able to fix the situation.

Boba Phat

Quote from: ShadowTani on September 03, 2016, 10:02:49 AM
You're right that impossible odds shouldn't happen in a game, that's poor game design.

The reason I ended up in this thread is because I did a Google search for dealing with malaria in RimWorld.  And that's because I'm about to abandon my current game as unwinnable.

I have five colonists.  I have 18 units of medicine and about 500 units of herbal medicine.  I have two colonists out of five with 10 medicine skill and I thought that would be plenty.  They both got malaria at exactly the same time.  I've tried going back as long as three days, but they always get malaria on schedule, so I'm assuming you get the disease long before it shows up.  So 2 out of 5 colonists have malaria, and the highest medical skill I have other than them is 2.  So I put them in a clean room with nice beds and force them to stay in bed.  (The first time through they ended up killing themselves by constantly getting out of bed to treat each other.)  Even keeping the room immaculate, even building the one hospital bed I can make with 18 units of medicine, they die every time.  Every.  Time.  I scrub the floors the instant they get dirty, I give them only the best food, and no matter how many times I reload, they both die. 

And the worst part is one of the doctors also has a high animal skill, so all the load-bearing animals in the base (wargs and bears) which took forever to train are bonded with him.  When he dies they all go berserk and murder the whole colony.  The only way to avoid that is to slaughter all my animals.

So no matter what I do, the best possible case is losing all my animals and both of my doctors and being reduced to three colonists who can't treat injuries and can't train animals.  That doesn't seem right.  I don't mind a game which is harsh but fair.  I do mind a game which feels like it's being deliberately trollish and putting me into no-win scenarios.

Aatxe360

The only win condition this game has is to build a ship and escape it.

Two colonists out of five dying isn't losing.  It won't be easy, but it can be done.  Also, why do you have 500 herbal medicines stocked up for only five colonists?  If you grew all those yourself, you have had plenty of opportunity to recruit other colonists to help when two of your doctors fell ill.

I think this game is being dropped by you because of poor planning, not unwinnable conditions.  We've all been there many times.  You've learned something, start another game.  Don't turn away colonists just because they have a flaw or two or five.

If you really don't like malaria you can take it away in the scenario editor or get a mod that will have it show up a year later in game.  I think it's called Less Incident Trolling.

Boba Phat

Quote from: Aatxe360 on September 03, 2016, 10:54:52 PM
I think this game is being dropped by you because of poor planning, not unwinnable conditions. 

Translation: git gud.

You realize that not everyone who chooses to play this game will be a min-maxing sperglord who researches mandatory non-obvious preparations for events they have no idea are even possible, and which will result in a game-over when the happen, right?  A large part of the charm of RimWorld is the variety of play styles and development paths which are (or rather, appear to be) possible.  Random, roving, lethal diseases out of the blue with no warning and no way to avoid them will feel like pointless developer schadenfreude to people who don't make a career of playing Roguelikes (ie/filthy casuals).

I'm guessing you enjoy Dark Souls.  Yahtzee loves the game, but refers to it as being "repeatedly kicked in the bollocks."  I hate Dark Souls.  With a passion.  My life is highly stressful and plentifully filled with unwinnable scenarios against vastly more powerful enemies.  I play games to get away from that.  I was under the impression that RimWorld offered the possibility for casual play.  If that's not supposed to be the case, then I should probably stop playing.  But I think it's rather more likely that, like every developer forum on Earth, those most fanatically attached to the game are the "git gud" types constantly pushing the developer to make the game harder and less forgiving.  I'm not a lesser species of human because I have no interest in being repeatedly kicked in the bollocks in my off time.

Mr.Cross

No one ever said you are, nor has (as far as i'm aware of, and i'm on here a good portion of the day) told the developer or cramed it down his neck to make it harder, but as this is supposed to be a simulator you have to understand that there has to be atleast some amount of realism, so im my argument to that is who says "oh i think i'm going to have malaria next week, hey doctor! schedule me in for so an so." ? I'm assuming that when we get a notification, it's when the other colonist and maybe even the colonist himself knows somethings not right.

Forgive me for asking but what difficulty are you on? or even story teller are you using? That being said, just short of free play from the sounds of it you should be trying Phoebe Chillax. Should be slower game play, give you more time to deal with the random shit she throws at us, but will still kick anyone's ass should they be playing on Extreme.

Just to note as I understand that people get misunderstood through the internet, I am not trying to be hateful, or spiteful. Just putting my 2 cents in and offering some suggestions.
Claims to know most things.

Aatxe360

Quote from: Boba Phat on September 03, 2016, 11:23:32 PM

Translation: git gud.

I've played since A13 and I run into stuff I planned poorly for or had hope of overcoming.  I'm terrible at this game, but me and friends have fun telling each other our stories playing this game.  I've had more fun doing that than playing a lot of other games solo.  And with my OCD the 'good enough to meet the next event' drives me up the walls sometimes and can even have me just start over.  'Git gud' is a stupid way to paraphrase what I said.  "Move on' is more like it.

Quote from: Boba Phat on September 03, 2016, 11:23:32 PM

I'm guessing you enjoy Dark Souls.  Yahtzee loves the game, but refers to it as being "repeatedly kicked in the bollocks."  I hate Dark Souls.  With a passion.  My life is highly stressful and plentifully filled with unwinnable scenarios against vastly more powerful enemies.  I play games to get away from that.  I was under the impression that RimWorld offered the possibility for casual play.  If that's not supposed to be the case, then I should probably stop playing.  But I think it's rather more likely that, like every developer forum on Earth, those most fanatically attached to the game are the "git gud" types constantly pushing the developer to make the game harder and less forgiving.  I'm not a lesser species of human because I have no interest in being repeatedly kicked in the bollocks in my off time.

Never played 'Dark Souls.' Never plan to.  That game looks like it isn't any fun to me.  Others RPGs like that haven't held my interest for years.

I had a hell of a time playing this game when I first got it and I left it for a while.  What got my interest again was seeing YTers like Quill18 play the game and see where I was failing.  That, and finding mods to expand upon the playstyle offered.

ShadowTani

Well Boba Phat, Rimworld is derived from the same vein of FUN as Dwarf Fortress, which would indicate a certain level of masochism being required to fully enjoy the game, lol. x3

But you can definitively get a casual game out of Rimworld with the right game setup. However, the tropical biome is NOT beginner friendly due to both dealing conditions more frequently and its unique conditions Malaria and Sleeping Sickness being particularly harsh indeed. I personally would recommend Arid or Temperate for less stressful gameplay. I keep coming back to Arid myself - was the first biome for Rimworld, so it's the classic Rimworld experience in a way.

I could given some suggestions to what you could do in your situation though, but not sure if you're up to it. I get the feeling you're more interested in blaming the game instead of figuring out what you could do or could have done differently (as having reached a point of no return is always a possibility).

I'm also not sure about some important details of your game as well, by five pawns you seem to be rather early in the game, but having hospital beds researched and a massive storage of herbal medicine suggests a mid-game colony.

I'll give you one tips though: in a situation where you have to choose between spending your medicine on hospital beds or treating your colonists with said medicine in regular beds instead - chose the proper medicine treatment in regular beds; the treatment quality matters more than the bed quality.

brcruchairman

I'm going to second both ShadowTani's comment on the origins of Rimworld (Dwarf Fortress meets Firefly) Aatxe360's comment with regards to play style; One of my favorite things about this game is how it requires you to build a large degree of robustness into your colony. And you're completely right, Boba Phat; because the game doesn't explicitly tell you what you'll be facing or even what sorts of things you might need, it will often lead to colony death do to bad information. It sounds like this is very upsetting to you; please accept my condolences. I know it can be very frustrating.

Speaking personally, that's part of what I like about this game. When I play RPGs or adventure games or the like, I have a tendency to save scum to get the "best" outcomes across the board. I'm a blatant perfectionist. But in a game like Rimworld, knowing that sometimes I'll have to scrap the colony helps me, as Aataxe put it, "move on." Then I can apply those lessons to a new colony.

In a way, it becomes a fun puzzle for me; I liken it to designing a ship, and building it not based off of what environments it's planning to operate in, but rather designing it to survive in all environments. Double hull it in case of icebergs. Plan to have compartments seal themselves off in case of a breach of that. Make it defensible in case of pirates, but make it accessible for the crew. That's the sort of outlook that I enjoy using for this game; I make a colony design, and then when things inevitably go pear-shaped, treat it as one more puzzle piece I get to work into my design in my quest to make the ultimate colony EVAR!!!!111!!!one!!!

But this is only my play style; it sounds like, given the forces beyond your control in life, my play style would be a horrendous fit for you. And that's okay; people being different is what makes the world interesting. For this case, it may be best to write it off as a loss; you're in a position where you're going to take a hit no matter what, from what you report, and if that's unacceptable to you, then short of cheating there's nothing to be done. Perhaps next game you can try a different biome, as ShadowTani suggested, and a lower difficulty. It sounds like that would match your play style better, as it significantly reduces the chances of a no-win scenario. (Or, rather, encountering a no-win scenario before you've had a chance to see it coming and avoid it; the game can be won, sure, but it's hard to get there when the game doesn't give you that information in advance.)

I would like to believe that you can also have fun with this game. :) If I'm wrong, and you decide it isn't for you, that's okay, too. Sometimes things just don't work out. But, speaking as a player and community member, I really hope that you'll find some settings that let you enjoy the game as it is; I'm a big fan of it, personally, and I always like sharing things I like with others. :) Regardless, you have my condolences that you've had a fairly bad time of it; very few people are looking for frustration when they sit down to play a game, and the bait and switch can feel like a betrayal sometimes. I hear your concerns, and just because some here don't share them doesn't mean they're not valid.

theubie

Not wading into "Play Rimworld one way or else!".

Answering the initial question that was asked:

Above you can find directions to remove Malaria via the debug commands.

If you want to do what was actually asked, edit the save file.  (note, if you miss a step you will result in either a save file that will not load, or a colonist that will just stand there and do nothing forever.  Make backups.)  Save files on PC are in your appdata/locallow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Saves folder.  (if you don't know how to get there, fire up the Googles and search for "How do I get to appdata on Windows <your windows version>)  If you are on Mac or Linux, check the wiki or search the forums on how to find your saves.

Find your save file, and after backing it up, open it (preferably with something that can read xml.  Notepad will work, but Notepad++ is better).  Once it is loaded, you need to find your colonist's entry, specifically their <healthTracker>  Easiest way is to search for your colonist's nickname.  Once you find it it'll look something similar to this:

<healthTracker>
    <hediffSet>
        <hediffs>
    <li Class="HediffWithComps">
        <def>Malaria</def>
        <ageTicks>809</ageTicks>
        <severity>0.003</severity>
    </li>
        </hediffs>
    </hediffSet>
    <surgeryBills>
        <bills />
    </surgeryBills>
    <immunity>
        <imList>
    <li>
<hediffDef>Malaria</hediffDef>
        <immunity>0.001712966</immunity>
            </li>
        </imList>
    </immunity>
</healthTracker>

The easiest way to make it go away is to just set immunity to <immunity>1</immunity>.  To make it completely disappear, you have to completely remove both

<li Class="HediffWithComps">
    <def>Malaria</def>
    <ageTicks>809</ageTicks>
    <severity>0.003</severity>
</li>

and

<li>
    <hediffDef>Malaria</hediffDef>
    <immunity>0.001712966</immunity>
</li>

Missing either one of those will result in a broken pawn.  Messing up any of the XML will result in a broken save.   Again, backup before doing anything.

Or, save yourself all this work and use the debug command from earlier in this thread.  I just hate seeing someone ask a specific question and not get an answer.

ShadowTani

Quote from: theubie on September 04, 2016, 02:07:54 AM
"Play Rimworld one way or else!"

I want to underline that this is not what people are saying though, looking at it from that angle will just get one provoked rather than realize we're trying to help. Finding the game setup that matches your playstyle and taking advantage of the tools provided to you to avoid self-created pits is what this is about.