How to hack Malaria away?

Started by linkfanpc, May 23, 2016, 03:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linkfanpc

A colonist has a case of Malaria that is currently 41% immune and major. That's totally unfair! She grabs 2% of immunity a day and she is at 98% immunity gain speed. There is no way to survive this, so i'm asking what file to look in, where to look, etc to get rid of the Malaria for good. 
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude.
\o
|\
/ \

cultist

Colonists with major diseases like malaria need to be kept in bed. Being in any bed (I think quality is unimportant) sets immunity gain at 110%. Medical beds and vital monitors can increase this further.

Malaria isn't like muscle parasites or gut worms where you just treat them and send them back to work, you need to keep an eye on the sick pawn and make sure the "bed rest" job is checked.
Also, a good doctor and quality medicine has some influence, but I'm not entirely sure how it works.

Shurp

1) Like cultist said, keep your sick colonists in bed.  But don't forget to have them get up to get beer when lying in bed drives them crazy.  Then send them back to bed.

2) Malaria is in Mods\Core\Defs\Biomes_Moderate.xml:

<diseaseInc>Disease_Malaria</diseaseInc>
<mtbDays>70</mtbDays>

Pop that up to 7000 and you'll never see it again.

But there's really no need to.  Stick your colonists in bed, feed them healroot and beer, and after a few days they'll be fine.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Lascer

I think better quality medicine helps combat the disease's progress as well, as opposed to the new diseases that just need to be treated with something. But keeping them in bed is still the most important thing.

Shurp

Yes, but why waste a dozen expensive medkits on a bug when healroot will do the job just fine?

Only thing I use medkits for is amputations.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mikhail Reign

Better beds do effect heal rate I think. Chck the info tab - I'm sure I remember cycling my hospital beds to ensure old people got the best beds.

JimmyAgnt007

Is there a dev mode tool for medical issues?  Id love to be able to give someone a new stomach or something else I cant replace.

linkfanpc

Quote from: cultist on May 23, 2016, 04:02:24 PM
Colonists with major diseases like malaria need to be kept in bed. Being in any bed (I think quality is unimportant) sets immunity gain at 110%. Medical beds and vital monitors can increase this further.

Malaria isn't like muscle parasites or gut worms where you just treat them and send them back to work, you need to keep an eye on the sick pawn and make sure the "bed rest" job is checked.
Also, a good doctor and quality medicine has some influence, but I'm not entirely sure how it works.

That's exactly what i'm doing but no dice, she earns 2% a day, and malaria goes up in severity every couple days. There's literally no way to get rid of it without cheats. Also, to Shurp, i don't want to completely get rid of Malaria forever, i just want to cure my colonist. This case is completely bugged.
I was gonna put a smart-guy quote here but i couldn't think of one so here's a stick dude.
\o
|\
/ \

GarettZriwin

Well, Malaria is EASIEST disease around, it is mostly bad when you get it together with other disease(Like plague or infection) but except that you can pretty much ignore it after treatment.

What medicine you use? What skill doctor have? How dirty is patient bedroom? How hungry is patient?

Answering these questions should tell you what gone wrong, because I had young guy that I literally TRIED TO KILL passively, i did not allow him to rest but work instead, get any medicine because he was a douche with bad traits and rivals in my colony.

He survived Malaria(Easy!), Flu(Thought it was medium illness, still easy for him), Plague(But I guess my doctor was just too good at this point). :o

After one attempt of eyegouging my master crafter I just drafted someone with assault rifle and shot bastard dead. No molesting important ppl in this colony!  >:(

cultist

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on May 24, 2016, 09:08:34 AM
Better beds do effect heal rate I think. Chck the info tab - I'm sure I remember cycling my hospital beds to ensure old people got the best beds.

Most likely some of the beds were connected to vital monitors and others were not. Quality is not supposed to have an effect on immunity gain.

OP: Is colonist old, hungry, hospital dirty etc.? There are many factors that play into this. A screenshot with the pawn's health tab should provide most of the info.

Shurp

If your colonist is only gaining 2% immunity per day, something is wrong.  Either she has no kidneys, she's running around instead of staying in bed, or she's not being treated.

*normally* a good doctor and some healroot will bump immunity up by something like 30% per day.(I don't recall exactly how much but I know that my guys usually reach 100% immunity shortly after major)

Argelle

Immunity gain being illness independant but the same for each peon?

cultist

Quote from: Argelle on May 25, 2016, 03:55:01 AM
Immunity gain being illness independant but the same for each peon?

I think old people have some sort of penalty to immunity gain, but I'm not entirely sure how it plays out. Also, missing organs and even temporary injuries can affect immunity gain.

GarettZriwin

Age above 40 plays age(It was 1% penalty per 2 years up to 20% I think), blood filtration(Kidneys, malaria - this is why I said it is only bad with other diseases, like deadly plague).

If pawn is urgently hungry he gets gain penalty, at starving it is so great that it is better to feed rather than treat pawn.

It can be buffed by resting in bed, good quality treatment, hospital bed, vitals monitor.

Room cleaniness affects chances of infections, it does not seem to affect immunity gain in info tab but it still may somehow do it.

Treatment quality also slows disease progress so colonist have more time before reaching extreme disease K.O.

Shurp

Ahhh, thank you for that tidbit -- I didn't know if treatment enhanced immunity gain or restricted disease progress... or really if it did anything at all :)

[edit]
OK, well *that* is interesting.  I checked out my colonist stats.  Resting in bed only gives +10% to immunity gain rate.  So if you've hit 60% and you still have a mild flu there's no reason to stay in bed.  Get him up and put him to work.  (Just make sure to send him to bed when he's tired or needs treatment again!)