suggestion: stasis module

Started by billycop32, May 23, 2016, 05:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billycop32

ok , so the stasis module is a extremely expensive module that takes up the shield slot on colonists. it activates right after a mortal injury,saving the colonist, and lasts about a day after which it can never be used again and disappears. it gives the other colonists a chance to rescue and repair the damage done, saving a critical colonist.
while it diffidently should be a one use item, I'm open to whether or not it prevents additional outside damage.

and yes, I'm going threw an idea burst if you haven't noticed. expect additional idea threads to show up in the coming days.

b0rsuk

Maybe as an alien artifact ? Single use.

This would enable interesting combos like Stasis Module + your heart is destroyed. Put him into cryosleep casket and wait for a trade ship.

carbon

I was thinking about this idea in combination with the improving glitterworld meds topic.

You could surgically install glitterworld meds under the skin of an otherwise healthy patient. In the event that colonist were to take a killing blow, the meds would trigger and deliver a emergency treatment to that body part(s), consuming the implant in the process.

So e.g. someone takes a sniper round to the heart, instead of dying, they are knocked down, their heart is insta-healed back to 10 HP and bandaged.

To offset this advantage, you'd have to risk putting an otherwise healthy colonist under the knife (risks both colonist's health and the glittermeds), permanently consuming both the glitterworld meds and whatever additional meds were using to knock out the patient. It also doesn't guarantee the survival of the colonist. Any damage source that applies damage over time rather than instantaneously could still kill them (e.g. triple rocket launcher, fire, extreme temperature, blood loss).

billycop32

No, I have a suggestion for enhancing glitterworld meds already. and besides that would make the gliter world meds OP. remember my suggestion does NOT heal, it merely buys you time to get them into a stasis pod or be treated. your idea would allow the colonist to continue fighting.
side note: I would like to see a way to perform surgery on someone in stasis

carbon

I stated above that any would-be kill shot would knock down the colonist and make them require rescuing. Any healing would be partial and only applies to the specific body part that would otherwise prove lethal. All other wounds would continue to bleed out. So they wouldn't be able to keep fighting with what I suggested, at least no more than any other colonist who was incapacitated.

Anyway, I was just trying to kill two boomrats with one stone.

vomov

A proper headshot should still be capable of killing a pawn instantly, but perhaps glitterworld medicine can 'installed' in a pawn to provide temporary healing of other potentially lethal wounds? Shot to the hears, implanted glitterworld medicine quickly takes over pumping duties, buying the pawn a couple of hours. Healing them would reduce it to an extra armor or a shield.

Also, surgery while in cryptosleep should be possible; the cask keeps them alive, doesn't it?

billycop32

we are getting off topic, this is about my stasis idea. if you want to debate what should be done with the glitter meds, go to this suggestion thread: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20354.0

vomov

Why can't the glittermeds have two uses;
1) normal medicine
2) inplant as a (variant of) a stasis module

I'm not a fan of endless amounts of items, hence my preference to give a single item multiple uses.

carbon

In case it wasn't clear, the biggest weakness of the module's original description, from my perspective, is that it takes up the armor slot. That effectively means it's always a choice between something cheap but widely useful like an armor vest and the expensive, single-use and rarely applicable stasis module.

I would nearly always prefer an armor vest or power armor, which can stop a kill shot outright, over something which only slows the actual killing slightly.

Having it as a surgically implantable device (regardless of what it should be called), greatly expands its utility, therefore justifying the cost.

Thane

Having it as a module (no glitter meds), but then having it be a surgical implant requiring high skill to successfully implant (15 or so skill doc for reasonable success rate without a med bed 10 for with???) and a base price of around 1-2k silver makes sense.

Just my two cents.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

billycop32

Quote from: carbon on May 27, 2016, 10:32:51 AM
In case it wasn't clear, the biggest weakness of the module's original description, from my perspective, is that it takes up the armor slot. That effectively means it's always a choice between something cheap but widely useful like an armor vest and the expensive, single-use and rarely applicable stasis module.

I would nearly always prefer an armor vest or power armor, which can stop a kill shot outright, over something which only slows the actual killing slightly.

Having it as a surgically implantable device (regardless of what it should be called), greatly expands its utility, therefore justifying the cost.
the stasis module takes up the sheild slot, not the armor slot.