My Colonist's Son is Much Older than She is...

Started by Kelvas, May 23, 2016, 06:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvas

I like having colonists who are related at the start, so I picked a specific mother and son duo because the had awesome complimenting characteristics. I didn't notice until after they crashed that something didn't add up... Her biological age is 46 and her chronological age is 84. Her son, who crashed with her, is biologically 28 but chronologically he's 205...

How did her genetic material exist to create him, if he was born before she was?

To make things even more strange, she started on an urbworld as a street urchin and ended up on a medieval world as a minstrel... He grew up  as a lordling and eventually became a housemate.

Maybe she's a clone of an earlier version of herself that created him...?

She could have been born on an urbworld, incredibly poor. Beautiful, she caught he eye of a wealthy politician, but scandal... She was outcast, due to being pregnant with the politician's illegitimate child. Ending up on a medieval planet, she did the best she could but ultimately died young of preventable illnesses, a traveling minstrel telling tales of the urbworld she grew up on. Her son, seeing what she sacrificed for him, kept some of her DNA with him, possibly in the form of a bone or something, and used his knowledge of the urbworld to gain political power in the medieval world he found himself stranded on. Using his influence as a lordling, he was one of the first to the negotiating table when the glitterworlders started trying to speed up the technological revolution. He spent time in their cryosleep pods until he was able to bring his mom back to life using the newly replicated cloning technology. He found a wife so that he could have kids and be a house-husband while he waited for his mother to be done in the cloning vats, then he would run away with her. He had no moral issues with doing this... He was a psychopath, after all. Once he brought her back, he just wanted life to go back to normal... She could pick up being his mother and he could be her son, they could travel the stars and find a glitterworld to settle! But tragedy... With the sound of twisting metal and explosive decompression, they find themselves facing their greatest challenge yet... At least they have each other again...

cultist

I think this is caused by chronological age being essentially random, as biological age always seems to match. Hopefully, it's just a case of tying some logic to the generation of chrono age that examines stuff like family relations.

I like that you went out of your way to come up with an explanation though. I just consider it a bug.

hopybombr

I have had a settler be the son of one of my colonists but not the grandson that colonists father.  Head scratcher for sure.

cultist

Quote from: hopybombr on May 24, 2016, 07:15:50 AM
I have had a settler be the son of one of my colonists but not the grandson that colonists father.  Head scratcher for sure.
I don't think the game considers more than a single generation when assigning family. Hopefully it will be fleshed out in a later update.