[A13] Smokehouse - Standalone utility building for preserving raw meat

Started by panggul_mas, May 23, 2016, 07:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panggul_mas

This simple stand-alone mod adds a building that allows you to preserve meat. Alpha 13 made huuuge strides in allowing low-tech play styles, but the one factor missing was an alternative to freezing for food preservation. This is an attempt to add a low-impact, well balanced method for preserving meat.

This mod adds:

-RESEARCH: Food Preservation - low-tier research project that unlocks the Smokehouse building

-BUILDING: The Smokehouse. Costs 90 wood and 40 stone bricks to build. Can smoke meat with new recipes.

-RECIPE: Smoke Meat. Three bills are available at the smokehouse for smoking 10/40/75 raw meat at a time. Recipes require both raw meat and wood at a ratio of 5:1.

-RESOURCE: Smoked Meat. A form of raw meat that lasts two and a half seasons at room temperature before spoiling. It still needs to be prepared in a meal, and it gives a mood debuff if eaten directly (though less severe than eating raw meat).

DOWNLOAD:
GOOGLE DRIVE

LICENSE:
All contents of this mod are free to use for any non-commercial purposes. As a small courtesy, please contact me if you plan to include it in a modpack. Thank you to the rest of the community for being so generous with your code, art, and knowledge.

CREDITS:
*Mod by panggul_mas
*Art by Ahare
*Extra art assistance from Shinzy
*Special thanks as always to the rimworldmod Slack community

feedback is appreciated!

~

I can understand for game balance reasons why the smoked meat should have a slight mood debuff but...some people (including myself) prefer some meats to be smoked/salted vs cooked in some circumstances.

Anyway, good work, will be adding to me mod list.  :)
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

Clibanarius

joaonunes

Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

Charchu

Would it be possible to add salt to the mod so we make make salted smoked meat? or some herbs & spices? (like a cooked meal, but without cooking)

Fridolin

Very good idea!

is it savefriendly?

EDIT: not friendly- the most stuff of the colonie + some colonist are delated.

Quote from: Charchu on May 24, 2016, 05:06:06 AM
Would it be possible to add salt to the mod so we make make salted smoked meat? or some herbs & spices? (like a cooked meal, but without cooking)

And salt can buy only the merchants

Reaper

Um could you introduce wood chips from traders that produce flavored smoke meat? Make eating it a joy activity?(make it damage blood filtration)

I Know I love smoky flavor but I don't think cactus wood chips would make good flavor.

panggul_mas

Quote from: Charchu on May 24, 2016, 05:06:06 AM
Quote from: Reaper on May 24, 2016, 07:32:23 AM
Um could you introduce wood chips from traders that produce flavored smoke meat? Make eating it a joy activity?(make it damage blood filtration)

I Know I love smoky flavor but I don't think cactus wood chips would make good flavor.

These are both good ideas, and something I'd look into. Truthfully, there are other good mods that allow for alternate food preservation, and have many more features and options (Powerless and Food Preservation are two examples). This mod is specifically designed to be low-impact, and fulfill what I see as the most critical feature still missing in vanilla to allow for a rich and viable low-tech playstyle.

FridayBiology

Noticed that colonists can build the smoke house on marsh/mud tiles.

Also is there any way to limit usage to only those who can firefight as well as cook?
eitherway I really like this mod idea, and now just thinking that maybe somehow we'd have to add a smoke meat (5 meat + 5 wood = 5 smoked) over campfire. recipe.

[edit]
Youtube link to see smoke house in action on marsh tiles.
https://youtu.be/83LmHZuPqP4
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

kaptain_kavern

Just made a savage update to A14

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]