Executions and Serial Killers

Started by Em, May 24, 2016, 09:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Em

Hello guys!

I'm new, so, I'm sorry if this has already been presented somewhere else. But since the new Alpha I had a few ideas that would improve the game alot for me.

My general idea is that there would be executions added to the game, with numerous ways to execute people:
Gallow - Costs wood and does not need to be researched, but has the heaviest impact on pawns.
Electric chair - Needs to be researched and needs electricity. Cost metal, but has less impact on pawns.
Poison Syringe - Has the least impact on pawns, but needs to be researched and requires rare resources.

Now, with the new family and rivalry system in place, I'd go even further:
- If a family member or lover is executed, the execution has far more impact on the pawn.
- If a rival is executed, the execution has no impact on the pawn (or even positive impact)
- While the execution is taking place, a family member or lover might go beserk, trying to help the to be executed person
- If the majority of pawns have rivalry with a certain person, it will have a negative effect on their mood, until the person is executed

Now, additionally I have another idea for a feature that I would absolutely ADORE in this game. It's the random and hidden trait of Serial Killer. A pawn can be a Serial Killer, without the knowledge of the player.
- The Serial Killer murders people from time to time (the murdered pawn is poisened, and the player is notified that he was killed by a serial killer)
- He starts with murdering rivals and does not kill family members (giving the player a chance to investigate and suspect certain pawns of being serial killers)
- A Serial Killer cannot kill while in jail, if a serial Killer is interrogated, there is a chance that he admits to his crimes
- Executing the serial killer will boost everyones mood, the serial killer admits to his crimes while being executed, if he did not admit while interrogated

If someone wants to make a mod, I would definitely try and help you out! I have no idea of coding, but I could make the art, even if there is not that much that is required. Anyways, I hope someone likes the idea!

b0rsuk

For this to make any sense, there needs to be a Law option.

In Civilization and similar games, you can set the tax rate. What if player could select their own laws ? For example:

- Punishment for killing a colony member (A bunch of checkboxes: None, Whipping, Prison, Amputation, Death Sentence)
- Punishment for being drunk (more checkboxes)
- Punishment for wounding a colonist
- Punishment for insulting a colonist
(...)

...and the ability to apply these laws to visitors and caravans.

MarcTheMerc

Rimworld strikes me as a place for frontier justice i.e. shootouts at hign noon and such. There seems no reason for executions beyond 'firing squad'.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Em

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 24, 2016, 12:16:12 PM
For this to make any sense, there needs to be a Law option.

In Civilization and similar games, you can set the tax rate. What if player could select their own laws ? For example:

- Punishment for killing a colony member (A bunch of checkboxes: None, Whipping, Prison, Amputation, Death Sentence)
- Punishment for being drunk (more checkboxes)
- Punishment for wounding a colonist
- Punishment for insulting a colonist
(...)

...and the ability to apply these laws to visitors and caravans.
Well, the whole game doesn't make any sense, from a realistic point of view. This is just a gameplay addition. Yes, Laws would be great, I agree. But I don't know if that would go too far for the developer or modders.

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on May 24, 2016, 12:48:58 PM
Rimworld strikes me as a place for frontier justice i.e. shootouts at hign noon and such. There seems no reason for executions beyond 'firing squad'.
Firing Squard is just ridicilous. It's like 10 people try to shoot one person and it takes like 2 hours for them to do, because they miss all the time. And the pawn doesn't even run, he just stands there. It's ridicilous, especially because YOU controll the pawn you kill just as much as the others.
I don't know, for me it's completely immersion breaking.

cultist

Executions already exist, though you can only execute prisoners. If you want to execute a colonist, you need to make them a prisoner first.

Em

Quote from: cultist on May 24, 2016, 04:35:51 PM
Executions already exist, though you can only execute prisoners. If you want to execute a colonist, you need to make them a prisoner first.
I know, but the executions are very boring. And they have no positive impact on people who are enemies of the killed.

Mikhail Reign

Wait - why would lethal injection have the lowest impact? I'd much prefer to be hung then injected, and I would prefer almost anything to the chair. Look up what actually happens. Lethal injections are brutal. And people don't always die in the chair on the first charge. This topic came up heaps on the PA forums.

cultist

Quote from: Em on May 24, 2016, 07:27:14 PM
I know, but the executions are very boring. And they have no positive impact on people who are enemies of the killed.

Uh. Maybe it's just because I'm from somewhere that hasn't had the death penalty for hundreds of years, but I don't see why it would have a positive impact on humans to see other humans executed. Also, while a shot to the head just outside the base might be "boring" it is certainly quick and effective - probably a priority in a frontier environment, rather than pomp and glamour.

Em

Quote from: cultist on May 25, 2016, 05:48:53 AM
Quote from: Em on May 24, 2016, 07:27:14 PM

Uh. Maybe it's just because I'm from somewhere that hasn't had the death penalty for hundreds of years, but I don't see why it would have a positive impact on humans to see other humans executed. Also, while a shot to the head just outside the base might be "boring" it is certainly quick and effective - probably a priority in a frontier environment, rather than pomp and glamour.
It's not quick and effective at all. That's what I'm saying. In this game you sit there and watch ten people shoot one person for hours because they miss all the time. And then, when he is on the ground, they keep shooting on him. That's just ridicilous to me.

And yes, when people really hate each other, they like watching people die. It happened for the last 2000 years, and it still does happen. What do you think the whole Witch Burning was about?
And RimWorld is not civilization just because it has some modern technologies.

Look, I don't care if it makes sense or not. I'd love it because it would be a great gameplay addition, adding some proper endgame management. Especially with the serial killer thing. Whole colonies could break apart because groups start to hate each other.
That would be fun for me, but if others disagree, it's fine.

I don't know about lethal injections, but you can just make it so in RimWorld it's like putting a dog to sleep. That's the least brutal method. I don't know about the chair though.

cultist

Quote from: Em on May 25, 2016, 07:02:30 AM
Look, I don't care if it makes sense or not.

Right. I'll just stop participating then. Can't really argue with that. :/

Em

Quote from: cultist on May 25, 2016, 09:07:06 AM
Quote from: Em on May 25, 2016, 07:02:30 AM
Look, I don't care if it makes sense or not.

Right. I'll just stop participating then. Can't really argue with that. :/
Well, I'm not here to argue with people. And as I said, the game makes no sense whatsoever in itself, why would a certain feature have to make sense from a realistic perspective? Gameplay > Realism.

MarcTheMerc

I just dont see how it contributes to the gameplay in any meaningful way. Who do these laws apply to, can they be enforced? when you only have 3-5 colonist you would probably let a murder or theft slide. Because your colony lacks the presence to impose these rules on other colonies.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Em

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on May 25, 2016, 10:17:26 AM
I just dont see how it contributes to the gameplay in any meaningful way. Who do these laws apply to, can they be enforced? when you only have 3-5 colonist you would probably let a murder or theft slide. Because your colony lacks the presence to impose these rules on other colonies.
Well, that's the point. You wouldn't let the murder of theft slide because all the colonists would be angry at the one colonists who broke the law. If there is a small community, and one of the community members doesn't contribute in a meaningful way, or hinders the chances of survival, what do you think would the community do? Just let it slide? Yes, that's something the player would do, because in a sense he is a god. But in a social structure, there would be hatred, jealousy, envy and greed. Especially greed. If you don't want your community to become a bunch of savages, you simply need to inforce the rules. It's not about imposing them onto others, it's about creating a working organism that is capable of surviving in a harsh world.
It would add ALOT of new gameplay aspects. You would have to discipline pawns, take care of them, and even make difficult decisions, punishing a certain pawn just so the others feel like justice has been done. Especially later, when you have 30 pawns running around and the game is just a boring tower defence without real depth. The more members you have, the harder it will be to keep them at bay. You could be a harsh regime that punishes every violation with death, or maybe the other side of letting everything slide. But atleast you have the choice and the consequences.

MarcTheMerc

When you put it that way yeah i agree with the laws and such. But the amount of depth your asking for behind executions i.e. 3 different ways seems overkill. When/ if a law feature was added I could see mod developers making alternate ways.

Em

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on May 25, 2016, 03:53:38 PM
When you put it that way yeah i agree with the laws and such. But the amount of depth your asking for behind executions i.e. 3 different ways seems overkill. When/ if a law feature was added I could see mod developers making alternate ways.
Yes, I think two would be enough. Hanging and syringe. One with heavy impact and the other low.