Steam Workshop for early supporters?

Started by reck, June 21, 2016, 05:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

I'm very excited about the steam workshop support and that mods and scenarios will both be available in the workshop.

My question is what will happen to the early supports who purchased the game with regard to workshop support? For customers like me who purchased after November 2014 I understand I may not get a steam key and therefore won't be able to take advantage of mods and scenario workshop sharing and reviews, auto-updates etc.

Are we just going to miss out?

Peppsen

You'll probably get a key. I think you should be asking this after steam release.

reck

You reckon? I hope so. Ok I'll wait until next month and see what happens.

Peppsen

A really important comment from Tynan himself

Quote from: Tynan SylvesterValve's rule isn't against giving keys to people after the game is out. It is against selling keys before the game is available on Steam.

I am also able to generate all the keys I like. But, as I've been specifically told by Valve, I'm not allowed to sell those keys right now. That's why I don't promise keys.

So, to summarize. Later, I'll be allowed to give keys to everyone. But now, I'm just not allowed to sell those keys, until the Steam release. Note the subtle but important difference.
(https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/05/steam-release-this-summer-with-scenario-system/#comment-140296)

milon

Right.  He can't "promise" them right now but nothing stops him from creating keys once it's released on Steam.  It's really a case of Valve's policy being unusual, but I don't think anyone will be disappointed.  That's my opinion, of course.  My only "inside" information is that Tynan is a good guy who wants to do right by all parties concerned.

reck

falconbunker

He said himself on a steam forum that a website will be made that you put your email into and I generates a steam key for you

milon

I believe that will be hosted at this page (currently it's just for retrieving your sendowl link):
http://rimworldgame.com/getmygame/

ItchyFlea

With regards to the mods and scenarios part of the question, that is up to the mod developers. If they only upload their mods/scenarios to Steam, then you may miss out.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created