Announcement: Alpha 14 and Steam Release

Started by milon, May 26, 2016, 06:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FancySadFace

Beyond excited for Tynan and all his hard work to make this game what it is today! Bought it couple weeks ago... addicted. I stream this game almost everyday, tell all my friends about it too. I will definitely build up the hype on Steam to promote this game! Well done Ludeon, well done.

Vaporisor

Use steam every day and have seen more than a fair share of highly successful Early access games.  The only time any ever has issue is when the game tries to present itself to be something it is not.  Rimworld has the contents and a solid modding foundation that it will be well received provided it doesn't pretend to be some big mass population builder and ensures the concept of a story engine is what it is.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

mumblemumble

I don't see how steam could HURT it.  As well promoted as it is,  nothing beats Frontpage on store,  and people seeing friends playing.

Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Goldenpotatoes

I mean with the fairly successful results from similar-styled games like Prison Architect (building/management/art wise), Rimworld would probably do very well once it get pasts the inital people who go "you copied architect's design!"

A fancy trailer to catch people's attention along with day-1 mods being uploaded to the workshop will probably be more than enough for a good start.

Vaporisor

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on May 27, 2016, 02:47:18 PM
I mean with the fairly successful results from similar-styled games like Prison Architect (building/management/art wise), Rimworld would probably do very well once it get pasts the inital people who go "you copied architect's design!"

A fancy trailer to catch people's attention along with day-1 mods being uploaded to the workshop will probably be more than enough for a good start.

I like the game trailer, but I think a dev's personal introduction of what the game is and how it works would really do lots as well.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Shinzy

Quote from: Vaporisor on May 27, 2016, 03:26:43 PM
Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on May 27, 2016, 02:47:18 PM

I like the game trailer, but I think a dev's personal introduction of what the game is and how it works would really do lots as well.

Bet you my pet llama Thompson that Ty's gonna plop the A14 update video on the steampage aswell, which would kind of double as an introduction

mumblemumble

I just want to say, first, glad to see, but second, I'm kinda sad to see the whole "will there be steam key" thing go away, because that crap was funny.

Tynan WILL give keys to all who bought , but "legally" can't "sell" them to people, nor promise them a key for buying it outside, even though NOTHING prevents him from just "giving" a steam key to everyone who bought  ::)

I understand it completely, a bunch  of bureaucratic / legal gobbledygook, but I still found it hilarious how often  it was brought up, yet nobody could read between the lines. This situation brought me more laughs than I care to admit.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Vaporisor

That bit makes sense with the steam key because it is to close loophole of steam getting their cut.  I am fairly certain steam pricing, and buying from the site at time of it will have all sorts of gobbledygook.  For mod players though, just think the potential now.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Lascer

Quote from: mumblemumble on May 28, 2016, 01:36:33 AM
I understand it completely, a bunch  of bureaucratic / legal gobbledygook, but I still found it hilarious how often  it was brought up, yet nobody could read between the lines. This situation brought me more laughs than I care to admit.

People can read between the lines, but may not implicitly trust an unknown developer. It wouldn't make much sense to push a steam release and shut down a portion of the established community just because they didn't sign on early enough, but that doesn't mean some developers haven't done exactly that. There's a lot of games out there just out to scam a buck any way they can.

mumblemumble

Yeah, i can understand that, BUT, I really doubt tynan would risk that much backlash over selling like, what, a couple thousand more copies, PARTICULARLY, when releasing on steam at all would guarantee much more than that sold?

Just a thought, the short term greed wouldn't be worth the long term backlash, particularly considering he has a very loyal community right now I'd say. People are harsh, especially on greenlight stuff, so I don't think he would want to arbitrarily piss some folks off for a few thousand extra bucks in revenue (which, might I add, might not even come. So long as direct download of the game outside steam stays, why would someone buy it on steam if they already have it here? paying twice for something sucks)

-----

Kegereneku

I love the whole thing, despite it making some suggestion look superfluous. As usual Tynan deliver BETTER and this is basically a "Custom Storyteller" with the Named one more impacting "Difficulty/Progression". Plus the ability to SHARE said "Custom Storyteller".
I guess, if people spend 20h on the game, they can spend 1 hour setting how it will play.

Still, I'm bothered that some details imply we won't get "ENDING" other than the spaceship one. Or get to chose during the game opposite to it being imposed by the Scenario-system.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

RazorHed

Extremely looking forward to the new scenarios .

Devon_v

I use Steam every day, and I have multiple EA games on my account: Dungeon of the Endless, Space Engineers, Pixel Pirates, Darkest Dungeon, Starbound, and Master of Orion. I don't play them, but ARK and Subnautica are well regarded EA games as well. I find that steam is fine for EA. They even recently added a split score system of the game's overall favoribility and recent favoribility so you can see if the developers seemed to have addressed the causes of earlier reviews (or screwed up a game that used to be cool.)

We just have to write honest reviews of the game once it goes up. If someone writes a BS review, just flag it Not Helpful and it will sink.

Vaporisor

Quote from: Lascer on May 28, 2016, 02:24:17 AM

People can read between the lines, but may not implicitly trust an unknown developer. It wouldn't make much sense to push a steam release and shut down a portion of the established community just because they didn't sign on early enough, but that doesn't mean some developers haven't done exactly that. There's a lot of games out there just out to scam a buck any way they can.

That is the one solid difference that Rimworld has vs other indie developers.  By running separate, it has created a fairly good starting player base and sources of reference material.  There are a significant number of high quality lets plays that show the game raw, uncut and stable.  If we write proper reviews and FAQs, then the only reason a person who buys rimworld can hate it is if they don't actually look into what it is.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Listen1

Compared to what the other games i've played in early acess on Steam...

I'm pretty sure Rimworld is Safe.

But it's always good to remember, the game is easy to learn, hard to master and not for everyone...

Or maybe i'm wrong, because my wife stoped talking to me because she's playing non stop.