Personal pet peeve: redundant quoting

Started by carbon, May 26, 2016, 06:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carbon

*clears throat*

[ rant ]
I'll never understand why there are so many forum users who feel compelled to overuse the quote function.

The worst offenders are those who quote page-long posts only to say the equivalent of "+1".
A close second are those who quote the post directly above their own, as though we needed to read it twice in a row.

There's probably a special place in forum hell for those who do both simultaneously.

Quoting should be used to clarify the specific person, post and statement to which you're replying.
Using it in cases where this is already obvious is redundant.
Likewise, the quote should only include the most relevant portion of the post.

Please think before you quote.
[ /rant ]

Disclaimer: The above is not aimed at any particular person or even a particular forum/website. I really just wanted to vent about forum etiquette (or lack thereof) as a whole. Feel free to ignore me.

carbon

Quote from: carbon on May 26, 2016, 06:45:07 PM
*clears throat*

[ rant ]
I'll never understand why there are so many forum users who feel compelled to overuse the quote function.

The worst offenders are those who quote page-long posts only to say the equivalent of "+1".
A close second are those who quote the post directly above their own, as though we needed to read it twice in a row.

There's probably a special place in forum hell for those who do both simultaneously.

Quoting should be used to clarify the specific person, post and statement to which you're replying.

[ /rant ]

Disclaimer: The above is not aimed at any particular person or even a particular forum/website. I really just wanted to vent about forum etiquette (or lack thereof) as a whole. Feel free to ignore me.

+1  :P

Chibiabos

I like to quote, but I try to be clear about what I'm quoting.  If its a longer post I'm quoting but I'm only responding to a specific portion, I'll trim the rest out that I'm not responding to.  If its a longer post and I'm responding to all of it a bit at a time, I'll split it up -- I'll break the quoted text up and respond point by point, and copy and paste the quote begin string to quote the next bit, close the quote and respond some more, etc.

I actually wish quoting were used more often, though trimmed up a bit, as people will sometimes post a quick reply to an older post in a thread and I can't figure out for sure whom they are replying to.  Not quoting at all then becomes a peeve.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

carbon

There are, undoubtedly, many positive uses of quotes. It's just regrettable that their abuse is so easy (#1.quote, #2.type, #3.post).

Maybe in some utopian forum of the future there's a quote A.I. that checks whether you're about to violate one of the great sins of quoting and makes you click 'yes I'm sure' to bypass a warnings screen. Dare to dream...

In practice, I often prefer to avoid using quotes directly and refer to the original poster by name to clarify to whom I'm replying. Example:

"Chibiabos, you make a good point about users leaving ambiguous replies, but . . ."

RazorHed

milon

Quote from: RazorHed on May 26, 2016, 10:03:07 PM
I agree Carbon.

I agree too.  And my personal pet peeve is when someone puts their reply inside a quote box.  That doesn't happen by accident, does it?  And why on earth would you do that intentionally? [ /rant ]

^ And that's my pet peeve.

Coenmcj

Quote from: milon on May 27, 2016, 11:25:47 AM
I agree Carbon.

I agree too.  And my personal pet peeve is when someone puts their reply inside a quote box.  That doesn't happen by accident, does it?  And why on earth would you do that intentionally? [ /rant ]

+1, To annoy all the forum users, we must go deeper.

I don't see any sense in making them hard-rules, but some reminders on Etiquette wouldn't go unnoticed sometimes. 
Also...

Quote from: Quote McQuoteface on May 27, 2016, 11:25:47 AMThe quotes are really, really editable.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Shinzy

I agree Carbon.

It does happen accidentally, Millie
Sometimes when you quote someone the text starts to write inside the quote box
and after you post the thing you're kicked on the subforum the thread was in so you don't even see your post if you don't go back in the thread again to proof read it

it's happened to me a dozen of times but I've almost always fixed it =P

This is for you guyses pets

Listen1

Quote from: Shinzy on May 30, 2016, 08:53:28 AM
I agree Carbon.

and after you post the thing you're kicked on the subforum the thread was in so you don't even see your post if you don't go back in the thread again to proof read it

My peeve is that even when you quote a gigantic post, you don't have the "Spoilers" button to hide what's being quoted.

Shinzy

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on May 30, 2016, 10:21:36 AM
I agree Carbon.

My peeve is that even when you quote a gigantic post, you don't have the "Spoilers" button to hide what's being quoted.
+1

milon

That's our Shinzy!  ;D

Thanks for my new pet, Peeve!

RickyMartini

*clears throat*

[ rant ]

[ /rant ]

Damn finally someone said it! Yeah I agree and honestly it sometimes fills up the entire screen.

Quote from: Shinzy on May 30, 2016, 01:38:08 PM
I agree Carbon.

+1

Please guys, stop doing this.

Listen1

Quote from: Skissor on June 02, 2016, 12:06:05 PM
*clears throat*

[ rant ]

[ /rant ]

Damn finally someone said it! Yeah I agree and honestly it sometimes fills up the entire screen.

I agree Carbon.

+1

Yeah, it is not funny anymore

Shinzy

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on June 02, 2016, 12:26:26 PM
*clears throat*

[ rant ]

[ /rant ]

I agree Carbon.

+1

You're not wrong Rockbass

carbon

<------ FLY MY PRETTIES!! FLY!!!! ---
Quote from: Shinzy on June 02, 2016, 02:13:34 PM
Quote from: Flying Rockbass on June 02, 2016, 12:26:26 PM
*clears throat*

[ rant ]

[ /rant ]

I agree Carbon.

+1

You're not wrong Rockbass

Indeed, this shouldn't continue.