Streamline by removing redundancies: Animal Zone and Dumping stockpile

Started by Vaporisor, May 28, 2016, 08:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaporisor

Animal zones and dumping stockpiles.  Nothing wrong with them, but am thinking it adds a bit of clutter to mechanics is all.

Animals and colonists can both make due with the home zone, but rest of them are unique with minimal differentiation.  Just having both able to make use of the same zone will help streamline play because a person just needs to create the zone without accidentally doing it in non animal or the versa.  Sometimes I have had to have overlapping zones such as a toxic fallout zone I call "Compound" which keeps everybody under roof and inside walls.  Another one I have to double make for both animals and colonists is my "Panic Room" which I use for when there is a potential threat inside the home such as insects or drop pods.

The other is the stockpile zones.  As it is, the stockpiles I think are so simple and intuitive there is no reason to differentiate anymore between two things that function the same way.  I would obsolete the Dumping Stockpile and replace it with a button that lets you autofill a room with a stockpile.

Minor things, but I think it would add a bit of streamlining to the play.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Songleaves

I have a room connected to my frozen that I stick all the bodies of my raiders into. When the freezer is full of bodies, I tell my dogs to avoid the freezer full of food, and only use the freezer full of dead bodies. How would I accomplish this without the animal zone?

Vaporisor

It would just be a zone.  So when you make a zone, you can choose if you want animals, or pawns, or both.  So that zone would just be "no freezer" which you can then tell animals not to go to it when you don't want them to.  Hence streamlining.  You make a zone, and that zone can have pawns, animals or both assigned the same way they currently are.

The one reason I can see for separating the two is the menus as if you make full quantity of zones, then it would essentially be double the zone areas in menu.  Perhaps an option in the manage zones to allow it to be selected in management to be animal, pawn or both with a maximum allowed for each.  This way you just create the zone, and that management is used to sort what menus it will appear in.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

billycop32

sorry, I think the interface is as streamlined as possible. dump stockpile is a nice because it allows you to set up a general purpose area for what you need, same with normal stockpiles.

b0rsuk

The interface is FAR, FAR from streamlined. Few actions have keyboard hotkeys, and it's lots of stupid clicking.

Rather than removing Dumping Zone button, I would make an interface where player can set his own Zone buttons in a manner similar to bills. And these settings would be saved between colonies.

I could have presets like these:
- food stockpile
- non-deteriorating stockpile
- chunk/slag stockpile
- corpse stockpile
- weapon and apparel stockpile

kingtyris

+1 The redundant zones don't really bother me but I could do without them.

Vaporisor

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 05, 2016, 07:15:21 PM

I could have presets like these:
- food stockpile
- non-deteriorating stockpile
- chunk/slag stockpile
- corpse stockpile
- weapon and apparel stockpile

Custom stockpiles too.  Ones that can be set out of game to mach norms in playstyle so carry between maps
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Kegereneku

This wouldn't work.

You need to be able to superpose (non click-active)Area over (click-active)Stockpiles, this would not so much streamline as reduce a players ability to manage.
Soon you would have people asking to solve the newly created problem.

The interface can obviously be improved.

In retrospect I understood the suggestion wrong. Probably because someone suggested merging Area/Stockpile once.
I have nothing against that simplification, I'm neutral.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Mikhail Reign

Yeah no need for both Stockpile and Dumping pile. They at the same except for different defaults. Just default 'nothing' and go from there.