[1.1] Armored Floors (Infestation prevention that makes sense)

Started by thecodewarrior, March 02, 2020, 06:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecodewarrior

"Armored Floors"

Description:
Armored floors that prevent infestations on tiles with overhead mountains. Note that these tiles only prevent the event from occurring at the tile, so hives can still spawn on them if an infestation event happens nearby. The tiles are moderately pricey, costing four steel and two plasteel each, so bricking in large areas will be out of the question until later game, ensuring that building underground doesn't become a complete non-issue.

Why?
Infestations are bad enough, but an infestation inside your own home can be catastrophic. For this reason it's generally optimal to avoid overhead mountain like the plague, quickly bricking up any of it that gets accidentally exposed. This, in my opinion, is boring. "You can destroy that wall, but you're absolutely going to get your base gutted by the next infestation if you do" doesn't seem like an interesting problem. Looking at the existing solutions I wasn't satisfied, since generally they seem to either make overhead mountain a complete non-issue (e.g. by allowing you to just remove it) or consist of some sort of mumbo-jumbo powered "anti infestation machine". So I created Armored Floors, which is designed to be simple, useful, make sense, and not just straight up nullify the issue.

Extending
The infestation-blocking properties of armored floors can be added to any floor using mods (Armored Floors itself doesn't provide an interface for this, it requires patching the floor defs). All that's needed is for the floor def to have the InfestationBlocker tag.

Download
Armored Floors requires Harmony
Download the latest release from GitHub
Also available on the Steam Workshop

How to install:
  • Unzip the Armored Floors and Harmony releases and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
  • Activate the mods in the mod menu in the game, making sure Harmony loads before Armored Floors.

Changelog:

• v1.1.0
    Added armored variants of vanilla floors, as well as compatibility with floors from More Furniture, Biomes! Islands, Orassans, and the Royalty DLC. Please thank Cerrendel for providing the defs and patches for these!
    "Floor Variants"

PixelBitZombie

Downloading this, finally not an op infestation mod. I don't mind infestations since it's natural, but I didn't want an op solution to get rid of them. This helps!
"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head"