Circuit Breaker structure object

Started by DeMatt, February 16, 2014, 11:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeMatt

I would like to propose a Circuit Breaker-type object, like so:

• It is constructed in the same manner as a single square of Power Conduit.
  • It is controlled with the same button as a power-consuming object - "on" or "off".
  • When active, it acts like Power Conduit in that it conducts electricity.
  • When inactive, it acts like an empty square in that it does not conduct electricity.
  • Any short-circuit-type event (battery getting rained on, faulty power conduit) causes all connected Circuit Breakers to go inactive, regardless of whether they'd be "downstream" from another Circuit Breaker and thus protected.
  • The "Faulty Power Conduit" event calculates its explosion after the Circuit Breakers trip (and therefore probably accesses less stored energy);  there is a minimum size of 1.
This would be useful as both damage-mitigation and as a simpler means of control than individually toggling lamps ("An eclipse?  Well, shut down the bedroom circuit, we'll save battery for the hydroponics.").  I know there are a couple other threads about Circuit Breakers;  I'm hoping that detailing how I think it should function will help get the idea across.

windruf

TimMartland

Yeh, power management would be a welcome feature.
+1
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

IncognitoMode

+1

Yes! I don't think there would be much need for any other power options with this. It is so simple too.

Ekornserk

+1

Should be very simple to implement and would give players a lot more control and less frustration.

Nukeman0

1+

just if i could add a personal wish: when you click on the circuit breaker box, instead of getting just the boring on/ off button, you get a whole window with one or more buttons which you can assign several electrical objects to (and then the regular on/ off button would be like a master- switch). In this way, you could easially manage several groups of electrical equipment in a realistic way. If such a thing is implemented, we wouldn't need things like "motion- sensors" and such, which i personally thinks is a little too far past Rimworld.
Nukeman0

Architect

I'd quite like to see something akin to redstone repeaters from minecraft in terms of power conduits too. The ability to block power from flowing one way means you could set up batteries for specific areas. That way if your main batteries went down for whatever reasons and the lights went off, you could still have a set up for your turrets to feed off a one way circuit.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Darker

This thing will happen soon guys.

However, I think that the protective part of the thing (turning off upon short-circuits) should be called fuse and should require colonists to turn it back on.
Please... Throw human readable errors on savefile parsing failure!!!
Rim world editor Editor on GIT

ousire

This could easily be expanded into a whole set of special power-control items. Circuit breakers and one way power lines were both mentioned, which I would greatly enjoy added to the game, but I'm sure there are other things which could be very nice to have.

How about a wire crossing? As in, a special wire that sends power north/south, and east/west, but the two signals are separate from each other. That way you can compact your power lines while still allowing you to make separate "networks"

colonistPally

I agree with all of this, but I really want an electrical maintenance worker job too. :) And they have to put on little hard hats.

Their maintenance counts as repair and also includes preventive maintenance.

Monkfish

+1!

Having to manually turn off electrical devices to conserve power is a proper ballache at the moment, circuit breakers would make this far easier. I'd also like to see...

- fuses (as mentioned above)
- light switches (switches off all lights within room)
- light level detector (used to automate sun lamps to come on when it gets dark)
- timers (timed switches - alternative to the above as sunrise/sunset happens at the same time)
<insert witty signature here>

Thunder Rahja

Breakers actually would be a good idea, especially to separate a group of batteries from the main circuit as backup power should the main circuit explode.

Quote from: Darker on March 09, 2014, 01:46:30 PMHowever, I think that the protective part of the thing (turning off upon short-circuits) should be called fuse and should require colonists to turn it back on.

Expanding on that, I think that most or all appliances should require a colonist to manually turn the power on or off when you click the toggle power button. Perhaps later on, research to build remote controls for power management instead.

caba111

+1

Fantastic idea! I would use this a lot.

Stormkiko

I'd definitely be looking for something like this. As it is I build so that there is a solar panel attached to each house and a battery. That way when circuits inevitably short, there's not much power behind them and at worst you lose one building. The only thing is that this doesn't work underground and takes up a lot of space.