breaking up fights

Started by jere8184, May 31, 2016, 07:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hwfanatic

Does apparel help with this at all? Do pawns have their maximum health reduced by permanent injuries? It may help explain so many deaths, as the threshold to stop social fights may not account for this. Just thinking out loud.

SuperCaffeineDude

I like the idea of a hard cap on number of punches thrown, or a pain dps threshold that isn't as high when your not fighting for your life. In reality I think brawls like those simulated would be shunned by a small colony, inflicting permanent bodily harm would cause outcries for justice.

The pawns aren't robust/restrained enough to have a common brawl, I couldn't ever really see myself popping someones eye without some deliberate effort, I feel like most punches aimed faceward would hit the jaw/nose/temple, if only out of the opponent flinching away. Adding dodging and parrying into the game might also sidestep a lot of drama.

Generally though I'd like to see fights result from escalated arguments, with the social skills used before a challenge to fisticuffs that can be refused by defendant, and defused/broken up by a 3rd party at the risk of offending the challenger, and surrender by either party through physical or social argument. Like how a stereotypical old man might argue with reason over violence, and a good friend can talk you out of a fight.

b0rsuk

Quote from: hwfanatic on June 03, 2016, 04:12:31 PM
Does apparel help with this at all? Do pawns have their maximum health reduced by permanent injuries? It may help explain so many deaths, as the threshold to stop social fights may not account for this. Just thinking out loud.
Body armor reduces the chance of having your torso punched to death.

With only 40 HP, it happens faster than you'd think. I lost a very good shooter and my only crafter today. If I made her wear that body armor, there's a good chance she would drop from pain first (wounds distributed over entire body seem to cause more pain than one nasty wound).

Wex

Quote from: SuperCaffeineDude on June 03, 2016, 04:52:43 PM
Generally though I'd like to see fights result from escalated arguments, with the social skills used before a challenge to fisticuffs that can be refused by defendant, and defused/broken up by a 3rd party at the risk of offending the challenger, and surrender by either party through physical or social argument. Like how a stereotypical old man might argue with reason over violence, and a good friend can talk you out of a fight.
This is great. You could use the social modifier as a standard chanche to break up a fight. You won't listen to someone you hate, but your best friend could defuse a bad situation.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

b0rsuk

We're focusing too much on half of the social fight - the killer, the maimer. Where's the victim's self-preservation instinct ?? If I was losing a fight and it wasn't someone I hated for most of my life, I would run away. A colonist getting his ass handed to him should start running away. A chase would ensue, that would be more dramatic so Tynan would like it.

Lakuna

Quote from: Wex on June 03, 2016, 11:09:18 AM
One of my best shooters has now a scar on the eye by human fist. Great.
How do you get a scar from a blunt object?

Boston

Quote from: yaplash on June 04, 2016, 08:31:40 PM
Quote from: Wex on June 03, 2016, 11:09:18 AM
One of my best shooters has now a scar on the eye by human fist. Great.
How do you get a scar from a blunt object?

Uh, getting punched can break the skin, quite easily. Ever see someone get their face smashed in in a barfight?

A scar can be caused by anything that breaks the skin; edged weapon, blunt weapon, no matter

Kegereneku

Two of my colonist got in fight, they would have been ok if my dog didn't intervene and mostly destroyed one's eye.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

SuperCaffeineDude

I get that blunt damage can cause scaring/permanent-deformation, but with the eye sitting inside the socket, it seems like a fist is unlikely to directly hit the eye without some effort. Punches are generally going to be aimed at the jaw and nose, with flinching caused by having something traveling towards or hitting the face, both helping to keep the eye intact.

Personally it seems to me that over an average run about half my pawns have damaged/lost 1-2 eyes both to colonists and, to a greatly lesser extent, raiders, which feels a bit ott. So an adjustment to the likelihood of eye-damage might be nice.

And yeah how brave/practical you are has a huge impact on how much damage you'll sit through, currently there's no morale system, if this was randomized (i.e. with each git I have a 1-10 chance of legging it) or fully simulated I'd be for that.

Lakuna

Quote from: SuperCaffeineDude on June 03, 2016, 04:52:43 PM
I like the idea of a hard cap on number of punches thrown, or a pain dps threshold that isn't as high when your not fighting for your life. In reality I think brawls like those simulated would be shunned by a small colony, inflicting permanent bodily harm would cause outcries for justice.

The pawns aren't robust/restrained enough to have a common brawl, I couldn't ever really see myself popping someones eye without some deliberate effort, I feel like most punches aimed faceward would hit the jaw/nose/temple, if only out of the opponent flinching away. Adding dodging and parrying into the game might also sidestep a lot of drama.

So maybe a "best friend" relationship between colonists might be a good thing to add?

jere8184

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 04, 2016, 10:52:57 AM
We're focusing too much on half of the social fight - the killer, the maimer. Where's the victim's self-preservation instinct ?? If I was losing a fight and it wasn't someone I hated for most of my life, I would run away. A colonist getting his ass handed to him should start running away. A chase would ensue, that would be more dramatic so Tynan would like it.
this is what we need i think it would work well with a neutral colonist being able to break up the fight. i can imagine the weaker guy running followed by the stronger aggressor followed by the neutral guy. 

b0rsuk

When pawns fight to the death in a raid, they don't feel as glued to each other as in a 'social' fight.

Naturally, a colonist running away can have colorful consequences. Remember how panicked tribals run into known deadfall traps, and IED traps ? Stories...

jacko21297

I agree, social fights should be able to be broken up, however i think they should also have the ability to introduce more colonists fighting. For Example, 2 colonists start fighting, another colonist walks along and likes both these colonists so tries to break up the fight. On a separate occasion, 2 colonists are fighting, a 3rd walks past, strongly dislikes one of the colonists, and also really likes the other colonist, so instead of breaking it up, he joins in and starts fighting the colonist he dislikes, would be quite funny to see that tbf, plus the fights would be over quicker. Especially if, when in the event of a social fight, colonists will go down quicker, and once down the fight is over.
“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” ― André Gide