Some questions

Started by Mutineer, June 02, 2016, 06:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutineer

How one smelt/disassemble armor? First I was thinking smelter will do that, but no. Them same thin that disassemble mechanisms no again.

In description of alphabeawers sad that they were engineered to cut trees, but i did not find option to train that to do that and they do not seems to do it themselves, just eat trees when hungry.

Dont you think stuff die in hydroponic way to often? even a short interruption in power cause instant death of all plants or if they did not die they did not yield any food when harvested? I did not really found way to stop power interruptions in current system, may be if switchers work as fuses and preventing big spread of cable fails?

Dartonian

I'm pretty sure you can smelt armor in the cremator

The-MathMog

I think he meant a way to actually extract the materials from them, and not just burn them. I don't think you actually can do that with armors currently.

Yup, you can't train them to do it.

Hydroponics need to have their benefits and downsides. You found the main downside. Try to have some separate batteries, that you have cut off of the main-circuit, so that you will always have a reserve of power, even if a short-circuit happens. That's the best way to prevent it.

But of course, there isn't much you can do when a solar-flare happens, but that is just part of the challenge.

While also having hydroponics, try to make an indoor greenhouse with just regular soil, and a sunlamp. That way you can keep growing indoor, even when a solar-flare happens. Just put a campfire in there, if it is during winter, so they don't freeze to death. That's another reason why having some spare wood, that is "forbidden" is a good idea!

Mutineer

Yes I understand for need of some drawback. But if you read my question/statement, i did not ask to remove drawback, i ask to give me tools to mitigate it or reduce it severity. In my humble opinion if you take in account up front cost(material/build time), power cost and other costs drawback is to big. It practically never pay off to build them, i stop doing it if I have any fertile land to just put lamp on. Yes I used back up battery packs, but again my back up short out and any temporal lost of power as result of raid....

milon

Quote from: Mutineer on June 02, 2016, 06:14:14 AM
How one smelt/disassemble armor? First I was thinking smelter will do that, but no. Them same thin that disassemble mechanisms no again.

It's not currently possible to smelt/disassemble armor/clothing.  :(

In description of alphabeawers sad that they were engineered to cut trees, but i did not find option to train that to do that and they do not seems to do it themselves, just eat trees when hungry.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they're ALWAYS hungry (and therefore make lousy pets).

Dont you think stuff die in hydroponic way to often? even a short interruption in power cause instant death of all plants or if they did not die they did not yield any food when harvested? I did not really found way to stop power interruptions in current system, may be if switchers work as fuses and preventing big spread of cable fails?

1. Put a sunlamp in.  Plants will grow faster and therefore you can harvest them before things die.  Also consider what you *do* with the food you grow - cooking meals makes the nutrition go farther than just eating things raw, for example.

2. Yes, power switches do act as surge protectors.  I often put a switch between my main power grid and a bank of batteries.  Once they're charged, click it off.  Turn it on again if the main grid goes down.  I also usually keep 1 or 2 batteries connected to the main grid as a backup to solar/wind power.