[A13] Excise Carcinoma operation does not recognize glitterworld meds

Started by b0rsuk, June 04, 2016, 05:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

I have 4 glitterworld medicine and a bunch of herbal. My medic has skill 13. Glitterworld medicine is enabled on the patient (the screen shows medic's health). When I try to right click and prioritize operating, it shows "need materials". I can add an operation, but not prioritize it.

By the way this is Permadeath. I have a kidney in my hospital. The cancer is in the kidney. Is it reasonably safe to just replace kidney, or is 'excise carcinoma' the only way to go ?

Mihsan

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 04, 2016, 05:36:22 PMGlitterworld medicine is enabled on the patient (the screen shows medic's health).
But screenshot is showing that glitterworld medicine is disabled...
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

milon

Tip for Mihsan: the patient's name is Hanson.  ;)

I'm not really sure what the relevance of the screenshot is.  B0rsuk, a more helpful screenshot would show both the patient's health tab and the right-click "need materials" menu.  But you know what you're doing, so I believe you, so meh.

Anything unusual in the output_log?  I'm guessing not, and that glitterworld meds somehow got overlooked for the Excise Carcinoma operation, and maybe others too.

Drahkon

To answer your question, amputating and replacing the kidney appears to work fine.

skullywag

Well the recipe has:

<ingredients>
  <li>
    <filter>
      <categories>
        <li>Medicine</li>
      </categories>
    </filter>
    <count>6</count>
  </li>
</ingredients>
<fixedIngredientFilter>
  <categories>
    <li>Medicine</li>
  </categories>
  <exceptedThingDefs>
    <li>HerbalMedicine</li>
  </exceptedThingDefs>
</fixedIngredientFilter>

So you need 6 of them. Which is a bit crazy when you think of it as its 6 medicine or 6 GW medicine!!!. I would suggest this is a bug currently as I dont think it should be targetting the category but the item, BUT doing that then throws in the question of how to handle GW meds, seperate recipe?? new recipe type with varying ingredients??
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

b0rsuk

I found the issue. You need Medicine, not Herbal Medicine... and not Glitterworld Medicine. Bummer.
Edit
SIX glitteworld medicine ? I was able to start the operation when I bought a bunch of plain medicine. I had 4 glitterworld ones the whole time. 4 was ALL the exotic trader had, and they typically have about as much.

Glitterworld meds tend to cost 100 silver, normal meds are 15-30 silver I think. Treating them the same is just Wrong.

So Excise Carcinoma operation only makes sense if it's in an organ not easily replaced ? Or you have moral issues with installing a kidney from unknown source.

skullywag

No its not JUST medicine only as i stated above you cannot use herbal but medicine and gw meds work fine you just need 6. Hence i said it doesnt make sense to target the category as 6 gw meds is not equal to 6 normal meds in value or strength. The recipe above explains it all perfectly, but yes it is flawed.

milon

It may be time for medicine to have a MedicinalValue or something, like food's Nutrition value. Then you just specify the amount of medicine needed for the job.

skullywag

that or simply this recipe changes to allow 6 meds OR 1 GW med or something. Depends which has the best value added combined with work needed.

ison

It's not really a bug, you need either 6x medicine or 6x glitterworld medicine. Perhaps the type of medicine used should affect operation's success chance though.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

b0rsuk

Aww, but if you leave it at "6 of glitterworld or 6 of normal medicine" then I assume there's no way to mix meds in the operation ? Many exotic traders don't carry enough. Worse, excise carcinoma is in many cases made obsolete by prosthetics.

It's strange that you can get cancer in a foot. Excise carcinoma may look cheaper at first, but the patient may die, and I don't think there's much chance of that with simple amputation or bionics. Okay, replacing a leg or arm is more expensive, but when the cancer is in a kidney I don't see much point excising it with glitter meds. 6 x 100 = 600 silver, that's approaching the price of kidney, and that probably works for lungs too. You're leaving glitterworld meds for edge cases.

Tynan

No, you can't mix meds.

For the rest, I'm not really following you. Anyway, the bug is fixed. If you want to suggest stuff in the testers forum in a new thread I'd be happy to read it though, if there's some imbalance here.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog