Transferring account to steam

Started by ChillinVillian13, July 11, 2016, 12:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillinVillian13

when Alpha 14 comes out on steam can we transfer our account here to our steam account. and if so how?

Neotic

What do you mean by "transfer our account"?
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Gralad

Quote from: Tacopaco on July 11, 2016, 02:45:38 AM

whats not to get about this? he wants this game in his steam library and asks how he can get it added there since he bought it before steam keys were available.

Neotic

Quote from: Gralad on July 11, 2016, 02:55:52 AM
Quote from: Tacopaco on July 11, 2016, 02:45:38 AM

what exactly is so hard to understand about this? he wants this game in his steam library and asks how he can get it added there since he bought it before steam keys were available.
Is there some invisible text i'm not seeing?
He says his account here which is the forum account; that cant be transferred to steam. If he's talking about his saves they probably wont work. Other than those two i don't know what he's talking about.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Zakhad

Although he didn't quite explain it as well as he could most people would pick up on that. He is talking about his serial key, Steam is a DRM platform and therefore DRM based keys. The version almost everyone has is a DRM free version, the exception to this would be was to be a backer of Rimworld on kickstarter, not because of the fact that they're DRM but as a kick starter "promise/agreement (lack of a better word)?" Tynan has said that he can't make any promises due to steam Terms and Conditions, we might get a free transfer we might not or even a discounted one(Speculation). Tbh from my personal experience I would happily buy it again because I've spent well over 500 hours into this game but this is just mine and everyones milage varies, I've been wanting a modern dwarf fortress for a while now :P (I still play DF).

Ptolisgoodguy

The easiest way to answer this is, no, you cannot transfer your non-steam version of the game over to steam, that's not the way steam operates. The only way you can get a steam key if you have already purchased the game is to have purchased it before November 2014 as that was when steam requested that Tynan stop promising people who have bought the game that they would get keys.

If you bought the game before that point in time then you will get a steam key, if not, then you'll have to buy the game again or forgo using the steam workshop and hope that people keep uploading their mods to this forum (Scenarios included).
I hear the voices... They are telling me to do terrible things... Sounds Fun!

skullywag

The above is not true.

If you bought the game before Nov 2014 you will get a key.

If you bought after that date Tynan cannot PROMISE you a key, he is not saying you wont get one just that he cannot PROMISE you one.

Everyone just wait until release and chill...trust me.

Edit - actually screw it just read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/4s9fo1/i_might_be_buying_this_game_twice/

tldr; youll get a key.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

milon

Skullywag is correct, Ptolisgoodguy is incorrect.

A good forum search will show multiple discussions about this very thing.  Tynan cannot promise Steam keys because Valve is enforcing their policy that a dev cannot promise keys for a game that isn't on Steam.  But another of Valve's policies is that a dev with a game on Steam can generate as many keys as they wish.  I believe Tynan wants to provide keys.  It's really easy math.  July 15 will be a great day - especially because we'll be done with misinformation about Steam (I hope!!).