Pseudo Underground Storage

Started by The-MathMog, June 06, 2016, 05:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The-MathMog

Do you like me, reach a point where you have so much stuff, that a big part of your colony needs to become storage areas? Well, then I might have an idea on how to diminish that.

The basic idea is an "underground container/storage area" that the colonists can interact with, retrieving items that is inside it.
I would only occupy 1 square, that would essentially be the entrance, but be able to contain 9 stacks of items.
You would also not be able to place another one, right next to it, as that would mean the underground storage would overlap. Imagine it being a 3 by 3 square underground storage, with the entrance in the middle of it.

This way you can store more items in the same area, without actually having to add a z-level to the game.
The underground storage would either need a long building time (as I imagine it taking quite a while to dig such a hole), or be quite costly.

Another thing that could work with it, is colonists needing a few seconds to actually retrieve the items, instead of getting them instantaneously.

One issue though, is that it would be hard to know where exactly your items are, as I imagine them being stored, like carried items on a colonist, and having to look through them, would be a bit annoying.

But let me know what you guys think of this idea, if I managed to address the idea properly, as this would essentially be able to half the amount of space needed for storage, without changing too many aspects of the game. And also if you see any major issues with this?

Vaporisor

I think is okay in starting concept to have something like a cellar if programmable.  Trade beacons wouldnt read in it nor would be directly cooled.  Temperature be like bleed though a door, similar to a cellar.

Since would be "walls" The spacing would be required, perhaps 3 space between?

Advantages would be storing smaller quantity/high value items or food stuffs.  Temperature bleed much lower so in case of a power or system failure, things stay stable.  Good for food storage in that regard as store meals in cellar, they stay cool?

Cellar/coolroom giving benefits of refridgerator but not freezer if underground.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Wex

There's actually a mod for that ("nano storage" I seem to recall)
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

The-MathMog

Quote from: Vaporisor on June 06, 2016, 05:20:35 PM
I think is okay in starting concept to have something like a cellar if programmable.  Trade beacons wouldnt read in it nor would be directly cooled.  Temperature be like bleed though a door, similar to a cellar.

Since would be "walls" The spacing would be required, perhaps 3 space between?

Advantages would be storing smaller quantity/high value items or food stuffs.  Temperature bleed much lower so in case of a power or system failure, things stay stable.  Good for food storage in that regard as store meals in cellar, they stay cool?

Cellar/coolroom giving benefits of refridgerator but not freezer if underground.
Indeed, good notes there. Yeah, having to space them by 3 is what I thought would fit too. What you mentioned makes me wonder though, does food actually decay when colonist has it in there inventory?

Quote from: Wex on June 06, 2016, 06:28:54 PM
There's actually a mod for that ("nano storage" I seem to recall)
Cool didn't know that, but I am a vanilla guy :P

And this is not nano, as in making a lot of stuff fit in a small space, but rather a way to work around the aspect of not having the z-dimension and still make it work as if there was :)

The-MathMog

How raiders would steal from them, as it's stated will be added in next patch, will also be a bit to work around, as it would probably work as an inventory, which means they would have to break to for the items to "spill out".