"Could not get new name" endless loop in Vanilla

Started by milon, May 30, 2016, 06:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

This was originally reported in Mod Bugs, but the issue persists without mods. Moved to vanilla Bugs.

Quote from: Hatti on May 28, 2016, 06:48:12 PM
Hi everyone!

i encountered an issue which breaks my game. Everytime a visitor group tries to spawn, my game hang up and cpu usage goes up.
The output_log will be spammed with the message "Could not get new name"
I´m using quite a few mods but figured out, that this log message will be written from the rimworld assembly itself (NameGenerator.cs). It will only occur with lager visitor groups.

It may come from the Hospitality mod. I havn´t looked into this assembly to verify if its using the NameGenerator. Any help would be nice

My modlist:

Core
Community Core Library
Community Core Library - Vanilla Tweaks
EdBModOrder
CombatRealism
CombatRealism Defence
ExpandedProsthetics&OrganEngineering
CombatRealism EPOE
AdditionalLighting-AdditionalLighting1.6
AllowTool
BatteriesStuffed-BatteriesStuffed-1.3
ARBNoInfestations
Brass Monkeys
Bulk_Meals
CTS
ED-OmniGel
ED-Plant24H
ED-SubspaceTransponder
EdBColonistBar
Hospitality
Industrialisation
kNumbers-0.4.1-A13
M&Co. AlertSpeaker
M&Co. MMS
Mad Skills
Miscellaneous_Core
Misc_Patch_-_Core_-_CombatRealism
Miscellaneous_MAI
Miscellaneous_Robots
Quarry v1.20
Rimsenal No Weapons
Rimsenal_hair
Rimsenal_Storyteller
RT_Fuse-A13-1.0.0
RT_PowerSwitch-A13-1.0.0
RT_QuantumStorage-A13-1.0.2
RWAutoSell
RW_EnhancedTabs-0.13.0.1
RW_Manager-0.13.0.2
Smart Bears
VeinMiner
PowerSwitch
RW_Blueprints-0.13.0.1
Stonecutting Tweak
CraftableCoolant
ED-Shields
ED-Shields-CR
NoDazedStripping
RW_AreaUnlocker-0.13.0.1
SkilledBuilderOn
no fighting! (v1)
Grindstone

I'm out of town right now, so I can only ask questions and speculate.

Larger groups of how many pawns? Do any of your mods change the number of pawns spawned at once? What's the in-game date?

CPU usage increasing is normal and expected behavior when spawning pawns. It sounds like the name generator is giving up.  Do any of the mods add names, back stories, etc?

Drahkon

Haven't played recently, but I can confirm I've seen that error before at least a couple times, though it didn't cause any lagging or locking up, and I don't have any of those mods. This may be vanilla. I'll see if I can find to to try and repo. Stupid job.

milon

Can anyone upload an output_log.txt for the rest of us to look at?  Can anyone find a way to repro this issue?  What season/year did this happen in?

Drahkon

Sorry about that, working a lot of hours lately, loaded up a late game with no mods enabled, dev spawned a caravan, error pop, save and log link.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzbMtxHC8p0sYlB1X2RVRmRRZnM

milon

That contains the output_log (thank you) and the .rws file.  FYI, the .rws is useless with the world (.rww) file.

Quote from: Drahkon on June 06, 2016, 03:59:11 AM
loaded up a late game with no mods enabled, dev spawned a caravan, error pop...

Was this always a vanilla game?  Or did you play with mods before, and then turned them off later? 

If it was always vanilla, then it's a vanilla bug (or broken install that needs reinstalling).

If you turned mods off partway through a game, that's never a good idea and I wouldn't trust any results that come out of it.

Drahkon

Sorry there, thought I got that in there, fixed.
As hinted by the name, the save was started during the last test release that went public before mods were updated, so there shouldn't be anything modded there unless I mucked up somewhere.

Edit: did just notice that the world is from 1127, odd, usually start  afresh one. Trying to repo on fresh world/colony while i have some time.
Edit2: there we go, new world, new save, spawned a boatload of visitors/raid/trade caravans for a bit. Once the error popped I let the mess die out and saved. Load up the new one, dev a 3000 point raid and most of the time the error hits.

milon

Sounds like this isn't a mod-bug, but a vanilla one.  Moving to Bugs.

Drahkon

Gotta say, the number of pawn spawns before it began causing errors was quite high, it's no wonder it wasn't caught in testing.

ison