What games are coming out in July?

Started by Tynan, June 09, 2016, 11:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wex

Summer is the desert for videogame players.
If you let the game out in summer it will probably stand out.
Or be ignored because no one is looking.
Decisions, decisions...  :P
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Vaporisor

Quote from: Tynan on June 10, 2016, 04:32:13 PM
I know exactly when the Summer Sale is. Just trying to figure out how close I could release after it without taking a hit.

:-(  Sad face on the agression.  The main consideration is the source of hype.  First buyers will be those following the prominent youtube lets players doing rimworld.  Considering most sale purchases, that first week of powerplaying will be biggest input.  A-list titles on sale wont have as big as impact due to the hardcore gamers already got them.

Ditto for indie titles.  Many purchases have that youtube interest.  The second weekend is when most time is spent.  Players will buy a batch of games and play them in quick bursts.  Cheap games with half hearted interest.  Like 30h most people will play them unless is some serious sandbox or RPG they are waiting for

Once the inital sale euphoria is over, whatever is new and fresh takes hold for long term.

Be confident in your game.  It will sell itself.  Present it for what it is.  The music, the importance of one pawn.  The fact it is a survival game more than just a builder.  Encourage the creative aspect and connections to people.

From Blitz and Etalyx plays, the connection to pawns carry across games.  It resonates with players and viewers.  Comments of experiences come frequently.  In Etalyx's live stream.  Viewers chose to name the colony after a pawn that died in the youtube colony.  As Etalyx put it, you can only have release once be it alpha, early access or full.  So if you make that impression, it will carry itself despite what other hype may be around.  Look at Stardew Valley.

RIP Taly.  You were too good to die.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Mihsan

There is huge update for ArmA-3 (Apex) in June. Looks like developer will need 1-2 more weeks to release it.

Other from that I really see nothing worth my attention in games industry for the whole summer.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

narkul

The Steam sales are not nearly as popular since steam started their refund policy. It used to be fun to watch for daily and hourly deals, but that stopped because of the possibility for people to refund because of buyers remorse when a game's price drops far below what they paid. Impulse buying has been greatly reduced, for me anyway.

Listen1

From what I've seen, no game shall impact the steam release of Rimworld. Good choice.

Personal pick? July 12th ;)

Tynan

Very interesting info, I appreciate it everyone.

Did we miss anything? I'm actually surprised July seems so empty. Maybe everyone's avoiding the Steam summer sale.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Admiral Obvious

The thing though, if everyone avoids the sale, and you release during it, you'd likely remain on the front page for some time.

Although people would be expecting the game to be sold dirt cheap.

I think the game is unique enough, and polished enough to warrant being sold during the Summer Sale to kick off, but that's my personal opinion. Especially for an Early Access game.

Headshotkill

Makes me think of all those games I've seen entering steam that got overshadowed by some AAA-title mega release, it's a good thing you're planning ahead.

palandus

The other thing to consider for dates is the impact of E3. Since its happening this coming week, many games may be holding release dates close to their hearts until their announcement at E3. It might so happen some AAA publishers might announce a game will come into beta or come out in July and announce it during E3. Or maybe some indie-titles that show up at E3 might use E3 to drum up interest in them and they intend to release in July, but as they may be too small to be currently noticed, the interest raised at E3 might make them hot titles in July.

As an example, two games that may be at E3 and have release dates around July-ish are "Below" and "EITR", as they are both near completion and have release dates set for 2016, and both have been covered by major youtube channels; but a while ago got that coverage (Below got covered by TotalBiscuit and EITR by VaatiVidya). If they showed up at E3, and both released in July, you might have a problem, as those youtube channels will likely drum up more support for them.

Or maybe, the release date of the new PS4 / XBoxOne might come out in July, announced at E3. That would also eat a hole in consumer's pockets.

My advice, is watch E3, and see if any really hyped up Indie titles may be releasing in July, and choose a release date based on these indie titles.

poothoottoot

I wound up making an account to help with this so hi all,

Monster Hunter Generations is releasing in the West July 15th, Community is pretty small so I can't see it affecting Rimworld's launch much.

Edit: Also it releases on 3ds not PC so probably less significant.

chchgreen

watch out for this doozy of a game
people die to play this game its so good!

palandus

Well, based on the Bethesada conference it does look like major AAAs are keeping release dates to them selves till their announcement at E3. They announced a few new DLCs for Fallout 4 that come out in July as an example, that may eat up consumers monies in July.

Tynan

Yeah, I think it's a good point about E3. I'll be watching the announcement and seeing if there's anything hitting in July.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Listen1

The foundest memory I have from E3 is E3 Abriedged 2013.

You can check it
here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71H69yDZ6W4
and
here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlkZNNaYBro

Is kotaku still a good website to check E3 News?

wbonxx

I would consider the release date of Mount and Blade 2 and Divinity Original Sin 2.
Not sure is going to be July, but if you postpone the release could overlap.
I suppose they are big hit for the average indie gamer.

I would guess summer is a good time. Plenty of time to play during the warmer hours, "kids" are in vacation, less pressure at work.

My suggestions are:
- A good trailer with plenty of humour.
- Let people try to "beat the game", scenarios should be an option (submenu). Big button on the center with the standard "against the computer" game -- storyteller and difficulty level, simple, and with permadeath option on the side of the same screen.
- I'm sure we still have to see the new GUI, but I did some testing with casual gamers and my girlfriend, the actual implementation is far from optimal.

anyway.. I'm sure you already considered everything I wrote. :D