[Mod Request] Fear the light

Started by AllenWL, June 11, 2016, 11:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

Just an idea I had, basically, a robot/genetically modified thing/alien faction(or creature) that dies/becomes immobile if light levels are 0%, are extremely, extremely hard to kill, only uses melee, and raids every day.
With maybe a rare 'support' unit that fires incendiary bolts/flares.

The idea is that the extremely powerful enemy forces you to do all your resource-gathering and expanding at night, while at day, you hide from the monsters roaming around.

Toggle

The problem is, at night, everybody would just get their men drafted and to attack it and kill it. If it was so hard to kill a bunch of people all night shooting at it couldn't, that would be way too OP. You could have something like it turning invincible at night, that would be interesting. Could say it 'digs into the ground and creates a cocoon of rock around itself at night". Something like that.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Plymouth

Solar-powered gargantuan centitank which would move a fraction of distance during the day, bunker down durning the night. Inevitable, agonizingly slow death for the colony.

AllenWL

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on June 12, 2016, 02:43:11 AM
The problem is, at night, everybody would just get their men drafted and to attack it and kill it. If it was so hard to kill a bunch of people all night shooting at it couldn't, that would be way too OP. You could have something like it turning invincible at night, that would be interesting. Could say it 'digs into the ground and creates a cocoon of rock around itself at night". Something like that.
It's not meant to be a one-time threat or anything like that, it's supposed to be a constant threat.

Think of something like a manhunter pack that arrives every day and leaves every night.

Toggle

You didn't mention it leaving at night. If it did leave the map at night, that could fix the problem, but I don't think you could have it leave the map and return with the same injuries and such very easily.

AllenWL

I think we're thinking of different ideas. The idea is you're not supposed to be able to beat the things, at least not permanently. Every day they come, and every night they leave/die/become immobile so you can kill them/etc.

The idea is to make day a constant danger.

The King of Nipples

this is the same thing that someone suggested here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20630.0 that zombie 2 said somthing about a solar mech

Toggle

Quote from: The King of Nipples on June 14, 2016, 07:17:57 PM
this is the same thing that someone suggested here https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20630.0 that zombie 2 said somthing about a solar mech

Eh, kinda.

Quote from: AllenWL on June 14, 2016, 04:16:08 AM
I think we're thinking of different ideas. The idea is you're not supposed to be able to beat the things, at least not permanently. Every day they come, and every night they leave/die/become immobile so you can kill them/etc.

The idea is to make day a constant danger.

I think we've just been misunderstanding eachother. I wasn't saying a different concept then what you suggested, I was saying if the mech powered down at night, I'd order all my units to go out and shoot at it the entire night, until it died. Unless you made it go off the map/invincible at night, this is what would happen, no matter how powerful it is.

Really, it would have to go off the map every night, because if it doesn't, you could easily construct a few layers of a box around it during the night, layered with traps and turrets. Or it would just have to have 0 movement speed and night but full operational guns.

AllenWL

And I'm saying if the mech got destroyed, there would just be a new one coming the next day. Though, the 'stops moving at day, but still attacks' can be interesting.
Is there a way to make a event trigger on the death of a certain unit?
So if the mech dies, another one spawns the next day?