I understand coding language... sometimes...

Started by Sigan, June 15, 2016, 10:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigan

I have a problem.  Well, maybe a few problems, and there might be a root to my problem that could help me in the future.

First, I play with a ton of mods.  Say what you like, and the Mod list is long, but I throw 'em in here and there, and usually I can make them work.  If they require a little tweaking, I can usually figure it out myself, but this one is causing me problems and I've been scratching my head with it.

Colonists will be assigned a job to make meals up to a certain amount, butcher animals indefinitely, and then make weapons, and smelt weapons based on quality or type (I've made those codes, which have work fine stand-alone).  I also threw in the mods from the Mega Mod List (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20669.0).

None of that really matters though, as I have digressed.  Sorry.

The problem, as it seems to show up, is that a colonist will pick up something, and put it down - standing stunned for a while - eventually moving on to doing something completely different.

In the output_log, it seems to be linked to this line:

ColonistName threw exception while determining job (main): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I've attached the log, and that line can be found at line 7939, as well as extremely frequently the further up the code you go.

The game plays fairly well, but I can't make meals as a result of this.  I play with the mod "Bulk Meals," but with that removed the problem remains.

Any tips on finding the answer myself?  Any obvious problems that I can fix?  What am I looking for?

Thank you, regardless, for your time.  Have a great day!

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Sigan

Also, pay no attention to all the "AlphaPoly," "BetaPoly," "Titanium," from Glitterworld mods because they're getting edited out.  They're not even installed, really, just a remnant that I haven't removed from my custom mod.  They're not objects that are in the game, although a flooring recipe will call for them, but I know that and so I never build the floor.  I'm working on putting them back in, but it's a WIP for my setup, and it's not that important of a mod for me right now.  I'm more interested in why I can't make meals.

Sigan

After turning on Dev mode, which I had forgotten about, I set it to pause on error.

Now, I'm getting the errors

30 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
1 "PawnPathPool leak: more paths than spawned pawns.  Force-recovering."

These are things I don't understand.  Everything works fine on load (now), and all my extra mods are running, so far as I can tell.  However, I have a pawn just standing there trying to move something, and this is the error that she seemed to create.

RawCode

coding language of game is c#, you can read about it on specialized resources.

Sigan

Yeah... Well, that would help a little.  Recently, I've started using the debugger.

My colonists seem to get stuck on very specific hauling jobs.  I paused the game while the colonist was standing around.  I drafted and then released them.  It prioritized the hauling job (and I presume this is the same one), and then I unpaused it to see what it would do.  Nothing.  The colonist reverts to "Standing" action instead of following through.

I then forbid that specific pile of meat (or leather, or whatever one it is), then drafted and undrafted.  There were times when the colonist would select a different resource pile, and start working again immediately.  Other times, they switch to a different pile and end up having the same result.  So, I rinse and repeat forbidding the object, draft and undraft, and see what the pawn does.

The latest thing was a "Cleaning Dirt" job.  The pawn attempts it, can't do it for some reason, but I can't forbid that job.  Therefore, the pawn gets stuck until some other priority overrides cleaning the dirt.

Now, I'm thinking a log should report the pawns actions, but they don't show up as an exception anymore in the debug log, and the inspector just says, in code, what I already could tell by watching the game.

Anything I can do to narrow down the problem?  I'm not sure where to start.

RawCode

QuoteI'm not sure where to start.

start from decreasing number of outdated mods in setup

Sigan

Isn't there something in the save file, or somewhere, that I could look at to see a potential error?  It only seems to happen when I have an empty stockpile, awaiting an item, and then either hauling or cleaning (to include hauling a specific item stack or three to a construction) causes the standing still bug.

Could this be a problem with pawn logic, or resource definition, or zone declaration... ??  I'd like to pinpoint the problem without the time-consuming unload mods, reload mods, reload game, start new game, get to a certain point to see if the bug exists, load more mods...

There has to be a more precise way.