Growing and Mining Tweaks

Started by Lonely Rogue, June 16, 2016, 01:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonely Rogue

As pawns are harvesting and mining, they oft times leave their resources where they fall. This leads to lower quality crops, resources scattered across the map, as well as a general increase in micro-managing. I suggest that pawns scan the area around them for the product of any actions they undertake, and if a stack is found, they should haul it to the nearest acceptable stockpile. Thanks for reading!
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

ArguedPiano

I see where you're coming from but that could be problematic, especially with growing.

If the pawn hauled say Heal Root after every time they harvested a block (which usually only yields one or two per block) they would be forever harvesting. Especially if the stockpile is any distance from your crops.

It's the same idea as when I make most bulk bills, I set them to "Drop on Floor" and let my Haulers deal with it. I find it to be more efficient.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Listen1

For Steel/Plasteel/Uranium/Gold/Silver and Jade, this should not be troublesome since they don't deteriorate. On a hauling note, the bug where multiple stockpiles would mess up the max quantity they can carry, the bug was fixed by Ison. So no more pawn taking 6 steel when they should pick 75.

But on the subject of harvesting, I must agree with you. Hauling should check for priorities before starting. Food and meals should be hauled as soon as possible, since their deterioration (might be wrong here) increase the chance of food poisoning and you may end up losing the crop.

If you have food to haul, you haul it ASAP. Then you haul corpses, the weapons, apparel, leather, wood, and then the other stuff. Making the grower haul after harvesting would be a bad ideia. And well, I for one have my growers as one, an then hauling as a 2. So after harvesting they always haul the food that is nearby.

Kegereneku

There's a simple fix from that : Stop overworking your pawn and keep someone who haul around. everything will go faster.

I nearly have more problem avoiding the available haulers from picking up the crop as soon as they get dropped, and that solve itself when there's more job keeping all haulers busy.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Wex

This is the problem I have with my hay field. I have a lot of chicken, cows and snowhares, so I need humongous quantity of hay. I grow it just outside the perimeter of my base ( arid scrubland, needed soil). I often end up with 2000 hay, most of it badly damaged.
Because my 4 haulers and my 8 dogs can't manage it all.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Lonely Rogue

Quote from: ArguedPiano on June 16, 2016, 05:27:04 AM
I see where you're coming from but that could be problematic, especially with growing.

If the pawn hauled say Heal Root after every time they harvested a block (which usually only yields one or two per block) they would be forever harvesting. Especially if the stockpile is any distance from your crops.

It's the same idea as when I make most bulk bills, I set them to "Drop on Floor" and let my Haulers deal with it. I find it to be more efficient.

I meant a stack of the max they could carry. So they would harvest x75 Potatoes, then haul them to the nearest stockpile. That way you get an accurate count of your food stores, and they aren't left outside to rot.
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

hwfanatic

Quote from: Kegereneku on June 16, 2016, 01:38:02 PM
Stop overworking your pawns
Probably the best advice out there. Fixes at least 50% of all problems discussed on the forum. :)

Lonely Rogue

With big harvests, you wind up with tons of food at once, and it's near unavoidable.
Any mod requests?

Snownova

What if, when a pawn is harvesting instead of falling on the ground, harvested plants go into his inventory. Once the inventory reaches 75 (or the carrying capacity of the pawn), he or she is no longer able to harvest until the items have been deposited into a storage zone.

There could be a setting in the work tab to toggle harvesting to inventory for growing and mining separately.

Listen1

Quote from: Snownova on June 17, 2016, 07:04:35 AM
What if, when a pawn is harvesting instead of falling on the ground, harvested plants go into his inventory. Once the inventory reaches 75 (or the carrying capacity of the pawn), he or she is no longer able to harvest until the items have been deposited into a storage zone.

There could be a setting in the work tab to toggle harvesting to inventory for growing and mining separately.

I see your point, but that can make the wield take forever, reducing the amount of food you get. Specially if you do Corn, at each square you can wield 55. Unfortunetly, Kegereneku suggestion may be the best for this game. Always have extra hauler/always have everything hauled.

Snownova

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on June 17, 2016, 08:30:38 AM
Quote from: Snownova on June 17, 2016, 07:04:35 AM

I see your point, but that can make the wield take forever, reducing the amount of food you get. Specially if you do Corn, at each square you can wield 55. Unfortunetly, Kegereneku suggestion may be the best for this game. Always have extra hauler/always have everything hauled.

It depends how far away the food storage is from the fields, adding decisions on colony layout. And it would be an optional setting, players that want to use dedicated haulers would be free to do so, I personally absolutely hate seeing all that food lying around.

cultist

When you have a big harvest (or a lot of stuff left over from a battle) you need to get everyone who can haul to do so. Stop researching, crafting, art etc. and have anyone who can haul do so. Hauling is the most important job when it comes to the flow of your colony. If nothing gets hauled, everything stops working.

Kegereneku

Quote from: Wex on June 16, 2016, 05:28:26 PM
This is the problem I have with my hay field. I have a lot of chicken, cows and snowhares, so I need humongous quantity of hay. I grow it just outside the perimeter of my base ( arid scrubland, needed soil). I often end up with 2000 hay, most of it badly damaged.
Because my 4 haulers and my 8 dogs can't manage it all.

Then what was a "lack of efficiency" in my post become a solution : if you have as much hauler as harvester (reducing the number of harvester voluntarily), the harvester will barely have the time to leave stuff on the ground before it get picked up. It might take longer but maybe not (and you'll have people not harvesting free)

Anyway, that's how agriculture is. Be happy that you have to worry about details like that, that's not a given in video game.
You can petition Tynan for a combine harvester, but I doubt it will fit.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !