what happend to the regular updates on rimworld development that we use to get?

Started by jere8184, June 17, 2016, 05:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekarus

As I understand it development is still continuing (I've heard about a few exploit-fixes in the exploits thread) however if I had to guess he's holding off on Alpha14 until this Steam release I keep hearing about, but this is almost entirely guesswork.

Vaporisor

Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Tynan

I wrote one on the blog, about scenarios.

We're working all day every day, don't worry. But A14 is a ton of bug bashing (months of it) and general refinement so it's not new features all the time.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Vaporisor

I cannot wait.  It is a solid game so refinement, optimization and bug bash with the scenarios will be fantastic.  Cannot wait for salty tears for whatever exploits fixed.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Shurp

Bug bashing?  I haven't seen much in the way of bugs in A13.  Am I just not trying hard enough?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Tynan

Quote from: Shurp on June 18, 2016, 01:06:59 AM
Bug bashing?  I haven't seen much in the way of bugs in A13.  Am I just not trying hard enough?

Not trying hard enough. There are hundreds.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

reverandraptor

Quote from: Shurp on June 18, 2016, 01:06:59 AM
The bugs just aren't necessarily game breaking bugs, more of the minor annoyance variety (Stuff you want to get rid of before releasing on Steam, as a steam release can make-or-break a game)

palandus

On this topic, what happened to that Sticky that referred people to that "daily updates" / "daily progress" thing? I know a second one was created sometime in 2015, but I can't find a link for that anymore.

jere8184

Quote from: palandus on June 18, 2016, 02:33:28 PM
On this topic, what happened to that Sticky that referred people to that "daily updates" / "daily progress" thing? I know a second one was created sometime in 2015, but I can't find a link for that anymore.
yeh this is what i was on about but thanks for the replys.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Tynan on November 15, 2015, 02:39:54 AM
I'm non-stickying this one for now since I'm no longer maintaining the change log. Why? For reasons outlined on the changelog itself. Really, I only started it so I could show it to government people while seeking government R&D funding, and it duplicates the git commits. It's just a bit of drag on progress, I find, a small but persistent time sink for time I could use actually making the game. Less changelog equals more features!

Also found this:

Quote from: Tynan on January 24, 2016, 06:57:33 AM
Quote from: falcongrey on January 15, 2016, 11:25:48 PM
Quote from: Veneke on January 14, 2016, 10:21:09 AM
Still, it's gone now so that's all there is to that. I presume that we'll still have a changelog from version to version though?

Though I understand why the daily change logs are gone... they would be tedious and time consuming. I do hope and somewhat expect this will happen though at release of each update / version change.

Definitely, new releases will, as always, still have a full changelist saying everything that's different.

Regarding the time-saving aspect, yes it's small, but little things add up to days of saved time after some years. I doubt many would want a multi-day delay in a game so they could see a changelog (I certainly wouldn't!). It's not the product people really show up for.

I really believe in focusing hard on what matters and being ruthless about cutting away excess baggage (in dev methodology and in life in general).
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.