Separating bill from production table, putting them "on the cloud"

Started by Kegereneku, June 19, 2016, 06:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kegereneku

I'm pretty sure it was discussed before, but I couldn't find back a thread.
Is there any stance or problem with the idea of sharing bills across every equivalent production table ?

For clarification :
The idea mean that if you create a bill on a crafting-table, it will be available from every equivalent table built or new.

It would avoid the following problem :
- Only one bill being done if the crafting-table it was made on is already occupied (despite the presence of another equal table)
- Copying bill from one crafting-table to a new one
- Orphan bill after table destruction

I don't know if developers ruled it out because of an incompatibility with game logic or anything else, hence the question.
I think the answer would be worth putting in the "Frequent Suggestions Topic!"
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

The-MathMog

I would love to see this implemented. But then also be able to set a specific pawn to only do a bill. Right now I have 2 pawns. One with a cooking skill of 19 and another one with 17. But I want the one with skill lvl 17 to do the butchering, because he has bionic arms. Right now I have to create a restricting zone around the butchering bench for the 19 one, and have another bench she can use.
So just having a cloud where all benches can "pull" from, without the ability to further modify their specifics would be a bit annoying.

But even a "copy all bills" option would be great.

But overall I support this!

Kegereneku

About that, a friend of mine discovered that you can restrict a craft-table to one individual through the use of Zone, but that's long to setup and monopolize a whole zone when you would need it for something else, like a fallout
-------
Write an Event

JivinJeff

I think a "maximum crafting skill" level for bills would be an easier way to deal with the problem of keeping high skill-level characters doing the right job.  In your case set "maximum skill level" to 17 or 18 so the level 19 cook can't do it.

It's irritating how often high-skill characters do low-skill jobs while your low-skill characters have nothing to do and the high-skill bills sits around undone.  There are work-arounds but they are wasteful or a pain in the ass.

Tynan

Quote from: JivinJeff on June 19, 2016, 09:17:53 PM
I think a "maximum crafting skill" level for bills would be an easier way to deal with the problem of keeping high skill-level characters doing the right job.  In your case set "maximum skill level" to 17 or 18 so the level 19 cook can't do it.

It's irritating how often high-skill characters do low-skill jobs while your low-skill characters have nothing to do and the high-skill bills sits around undone.  There are work-arounds but they are wasteful or a pain in the ass.

FYI, Alpha 14 will have a maximum crafting skill setting. So there's that!

Cloud bills are interesting, but you're left with the problem where you can't tell pawns to use a specific bench (or, at least, not without a bunch of new interface burden). Doing it per bench is a bit suboptimal, but it's simple, doesn't require its own global tab, and the effects are obvious.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

b0rsuk

Bills decoupled from tables would allow extra flexibility.

Mine 400 steel (you still need to designate)
Chop 500 wood
Hunt 10 animals
Plant exactly 40 Corn (this would take effect once current Healroot is harvested, no need to closely monitor the growing zone)

Wex

Quote from: Tynan on June 20, 2016, 01:11:16 AM
Cloud bills are interesting, but you're left with the problem where you can't tell pawns to use a specific bench (or, at least, not without a bunch of new interface burden). Doing it per bench is a bit suboptimal, but it's simple, doesn't require its own global tab, and the effects are obvious.
At least we need an option to copy bills!!!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

b0rsuk

What if we had global hauling bills ? Players could set priorities for their haulers. Like:
Rescue, corpses, meat, weapons, apparel...

By the way, I would be delighted if settings like Outfits, bills, stockpile settings were copied between games. It's tedious to reinvent the wheel every new colony.

Kegereneku

...that or linking pawns to bills on a cloud. It's not like we lose something we could do before.
Maybe you could work it with how pawns lock a bills so you don't get duplicate.
-------
Write an Event

JivinJeff

FYI, Alpha 14 will have a maximum crafting skill setting. So there's that!

Fantastic!  Looking forward to it.