We need vaccinations (and more medicine suggestions)

Started by JupiterJaeden, July 08, 2016, 05:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JupiterJaeden

Okay, so in RimWorld, I see a HUGE problem with the disease mechanics.
The lack of vaccinations.
In the real world, vaccinations are an EXTREMELY powerful tool to prevent the spread of disease. You should be able to use medicine (not herbal) on a colonist to it to all the major diseases. But the vaccination can wear down over time and needs to be renewed.
Of course, this DOES NOT mean they are immune to all diseases. Wounds can get infected, and some stuff can't be stopped (e.g. gut worms, etc.) But It would stop many common diseases like plague and malaria.
In addition, I see another HUGE problem with medicinal mechanics: You can't produce medicines!
Think about it: You can make POWER ARMOR, yet lack the ability to produce simple medicinal substances! I think this should have its own bench and research project.

Thane

Vaccines should be a separate item that have to crafted with several medicines and then maybe last an in-game year, though having a basic bio/chemistry lab to make your own medicines would be cool.

What about a low chance for certain colonists to be allergic to vaccines?

However, if this does become a thing then diseases will have to become MORE virulent and aggressive to compensate.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.