A bunch of random suggestions

Started by Wex, June 19, 2016, 10:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wex

So, I've played this game (just like many of you) a whole LOT, and I found some suggestions that could make it better.

• Crossbows: the basic crossbow is just a step ahead from bows, has a low rate of fire but it would pierce armor. And you could make it at a smithing station.

• Fire: fire scares animals, predators and prey alike, they should run away from it, not sleeping beside a flaming tree; predators should learn quickly not to attack boomalopes and boomrat, just like IRL predator don't attack porcupines or poisonous orange frogs

• Ugly and scarred: those social modifiers are way too high. -30 and -15? That man has lost an ear by fighting for the colony, why being mean to him?!? We don't insult veterans who lost an eye fighting for their country, or people born disfigured.

• Repairing: IRL, we repair weapons and clothing worn. They lose quality, but they are still usable.

• Sea and water: also called fishing. Or getting seaweed. Or tidal generators, or dams. We miss a whole dimension here.

Ok. Thanks for the patience to read this.   ;)
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Wex

6. Cheese: we have used cheese to preserve milk for MILLENIA. It's a lost art on the Rim?
7. Alchool: IRL you can make alchool from almost anything, why only hops?
8. Nocturnal animals: pretty self explanatory
9. Gut worms and muscle parasites: they last way too long, they are not entertaining and they add nothing to the game
10. Glitterworld medicines: are borderline worthless - by the time I can afford them I usually have at least a level 12 doctor, they cost too much and they do nothing spectacular, like curing cancer or bad back/dementia (or removing scars, for that matters).

I get ideas in bursts.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Kryc8

I know that you said nothing about cheese turned into art but who cares
[fanfiction] When your cook made legendary cheese with description:
Image present a wild boar dying in fire while Greg is going on a rampage because of lack of beer.
If you look good enough you can see a image of dead panda.
Cheese is made in pop art style [/fanfiction]

Wex

Ok, now some professional knowledge, diseases!

11. Leprosy: affects the brain (ad there it stands to be cured) removing 90% of pawn's pain. It progressively cripple limbs, ears, noses, unless cured; in the end pawn will lose the part.
12. Menigitis: affects the brain, make you pawn feel a lot of pain (just not enough to put it down) and forces a random break every now and then, unless treated.
13. Haepatitis: affects the liver, brings to exaustion faster, food bar is restored less. If left untreated will lead to haepatic cancer.
14. Peptic ulcer: affects the stomach, vomiting and poor appetite, could spring some stomach bleeding.
15. Fleas: not exactly a disease, but it's unlikely you won't get them on the rim. Affect consciousness by a little (you are itchng), sometimes, the pawn will stop to scratch, stopping what it was doing.
    Harlan Ellison

Wex

Keeping this up.
I have a lot of ideas. Not all of them are good, ut they are a lot.

16. Alpaca and dromedaries are mammals: so they produce milk. There are people in the world that actually survive on those.
17. Family members: you crashed on an unknown planet, you build a colony and make it run. After 4 years, you find your lover, you tought he/she died in the ship crash, now living with a group of tribals. Would you join them or would you convince them to stay here? Because right now you can't do either.
18. Predators: they run from hunters shooting them, they don't attack, unless they are very close
19. Beer: how in the world does an animal uncap a bottle of beer?
20. Golden weapons: don't you find them ridicolous too? What about uranium ones? The blacksmith isn't very smart...
    Harlan Ellison

Kryc8

Havan_IronOak

I like the way you think! I LIKE most of these a LOT.

2) I agree that animals should be afraid of fire. I'd settle for being able to restrict domesticated animals from joining in on certain fights. Drafted a couple of my best shooters to take care of a boom-rat invasion outside my walls. Figured between a few marksmen and my turrets, the invasion could be cut down pretty quickly. that is until the pets rushed outside!  I lost enough in that little debacle that I had to reload from a previous save-game.

Personally I see 3 and 10 going together. I'd like to see some operations (like cosmetic surgery) that requires glitterworld medicines.

5) There IS a mending mod (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=10908.0) but as is, it's a bit overpowered. Personally I don't see items taking a quality hit but perhaps (if it's possible) lowering the item's ceiling by 1% each time it's mended? e.g the first time you mend something it only goes from 44/100 to 99/99 and the next time to 98/98 and etc.

6) LOVE the cheese idea! As they get expert masterworks could be artisanal varieties.

15) I like the idea of more varieties of illness but only if the frequency is balanced properly.  In the let's-plays that I've seen and my most recent play-through, chronic illnesses are springing up a LOT more than they used to.

As to 16...  Pretty sure Dromedaries DO give milk. EnterElysium's latest Let's play shows them giving milk I think. Course Wargs, Huskies (and all dogs), even bunnies and chinchillas are mammals but good luck having the patience to milk them.  I just spotted my first milk in-game and didn't see what animal it came from. I've just got some dogs and a pair of Muffalo though so who knows?

17) Big YES! I had to capture and spend over a month getting one of my colonists fathers to join us.

19) Not sure about all animals opening beers but that Irish Setter in the old Bud commercials.  seemed to have figured it out. Course it might just be the "ugly American" in me but why is there no beer cooler in this game? Setting beers out to be served at room temperature just feels "wrong."

Personally I'd also like to see a way of restricting ALL colonists to an area and then exempting those that you like. (Basically a column heading toggle)

Wex

21. Divorce/breakup: add a notice for when this happen, I had colonists sleep on the floor because of that
22. Squirrels: squirrels manhunter is the worst; almost any other animal is better, they move too fast.
23. Lightning: why can't we have the colonist stick a metal pole in the ground (maybe one use only, so it's an investment) to protect the crops from lightning?
24. Marshes: should be drainable. To have actual land to build.
25. Vegetation: all it takes is a little fire, and in the middle of the map, the vegetation disappears (it's still on the borders - spawn problem?). It would be nice to have nature reclam the place, after a while.
    Harlan Ellison

caidrath

Keep it up man, I like your ideas

quxzcover

these are my favourites, and i feel like there must haves. especially getting rid of scars and broken body parts in favour of prosthetics.

Wex

Bonus suggestion Fistfght: Pawn get scars in the eye from "friendly" fistfight. That's dumb. Half of my bionic eyes are implanted because of this.
It would be better if blunt trauma to the eye won't scar them.
    Harlan Ellison