Endgame options

Started by CustodianV131, October 18, 2013, 03:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CustodianV131

Wondering what options could become available for the endgame. I know about the shipbuilding to get off the planet, but I would like more / different options. (Plus in my mind... why not hop off the planet on a trader if that's your goal?)

1. Become a full-fledged colony
Would it be an good idea to make the endgame in being recognized as a formal colony? I really feel with all the work your people put in the colony this seems to be their goal in life.

You would have to research certain tech, reach a certain population and maybe have a few special buildings in place (researched with the aforementioned tech) to be able to claim formal colony status among the other colonies and gain their protection and trade, which will end the game and maybe a score?

The population needed could chance with the difficulty level.

Option: When you sent out the colony request, you've to wait a certain time for the answer and you get attacked by raiders who want to take you out and grab your riches while they still can. (IE last big attack or such)

2. Build an escape pod
This is sort of an last resort option when you're being overrun
Research certain techs
Build a low orbit escape vehicle which... surprise, surprise, only holds 3 people... If you manage to get away, you get to leave (with a score?) and can start over on a new map. You might have to fight or make hard decisions on who gets to go and or its the time to bail or can you still fight of the raiders?

3. Treasure hunt
This is my way to make the fly off in your own spaceship believable.

Find map to a very valuable treasure.
You've to find / stumble across a cave with the treasure map in it. (should not be available on every map I think.)
Then you can start working on a ship to get off the planet with all the colonists to go after the treasure. Traveling on another ship isn't an option... then you would have to reveal your treasure map.
Launch ends the game and possible score.

-

On the scoring: I don't really need a score, but maybe some people might enjoy that if they play a lot of colonies? IE something to aim for.

What do you think? Any other endgame ideas?
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

Semmy

i think there have been some more topics about this.
Might want to check those out.

Just 1 of the 3 questions im able to answer quickly
Is that one of the endgames will be that you can build a ship/pod to escape.
Also tynan will make it possible to continue playing if you dont want to escape.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

nomadseifer

Someone should probably make one of the many endgame-topics that already exist into a sticky thread. 

To me, the only thing that makes any sense for an endgame is an escape ship.  I mean, these people were supposedly on a space cruise-liner.  They have lives and families to get back to.  I can't imagine anything being more important than getting the hell out of there.  Of course, other colonists join with their own sets of priorities, but those original three are the ones who should be in charge of the colony and making the big decisions. 
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

SteveAdamo

Quote from: nomadseifer on October 18, 2013, 03:56:17 PM
They have lives and families to get back to.  I can't imagine anything being more important than getting the hell out of there. 
perhaps not... perhaps they were all fleeing justice? they are all solitary-ish folk... or perhaps the native wildlife are just so intriguing, they would like to live there permanently...

any number of reasons why they might choose to call the place "home"... :D

Pheanox

Quote from: nomadseifer on October 18, 2013, 03:56:17 PM
  They have lives and families to get back to.  I can't imagine anything being more important than getting the hell out of there. 

These people are in a universe of relativistic flight, not faster then light travel.  Therefor, if they didn't bring their family with them, no matter what happens they will be long dead by the time they get back to them.

nomadseifer

Steve, I can't honestly think of 'any number of reasons' why I would abandon the hope of ever seeing my family again.  I'm not defending the escape ship idea in terms of gameplay, but if these are really just a bunch of civvies on a passenger ship, I don't accept any other desire above returning home. 

Pheanox, is what you said something Tynan has mentioned somewhere else because its news to me. 
From Tynan,
QuoteIn RimWorld, your colonists are not professional settlers â€" they’re survivors from a crashed passenger liner. They'll be accountants, homemakers, journalists, cooks, nobles, urchins, and soldiers.

It doesn't sound like a bunch of people who were never going to see their families again to me. 

Pheanox

Because, as I mentioned, their families would be with them.

CustodianV131

I'm sorry if I missed other endgame options threads. I looked but could only find one discussing the current sketched out endgame with the spaceship.

So I hoped to have a discussion here or alternate options would be an idea / welcome.

As for the original idea... in almost all LP's I watched the original 3 people die within days... with the colony happily moving on and the player not even noticing his original 3 are dead, should it mean the game ends then? I hope that's not the case. Its just that the watching the LP's the focus seems to be on the survival of the colony not the individual colonist.

I don't really mind what story is sticked on the game. As long as the gameplay is this open, I can always imagine my own story.

Anyway, I was just giving suggestions of endgame options and wondering or their were other people that also formed: "Hey this would be nice" ideas about the endgame while watching LP's and such.
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

nomadseifer

I haven't really paid attention in any LP's to who live and dies.  If the starting three colonists really are dying out that fast, that's a bit depressing and kinda shakes the foundation of the game for me.  I definitely don't want an endgame in the case.  If there is no story arc that comes to an end by leaving, then everyone should stay there until they can fight no longer.  That's a bit more nihilistic but makes more sense to me.  Life is tough out there :)