The Module Poll, Which do you want most?

Started by miah999, October 12, 2013, 05:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Module Poll

Endgame Escape
16 (15%)
Modability
39 (36.4%)
Health Modeling
15 (14%)
Biomes
53 (49.5%)
Deep Characterization
29 (27.1%)
Storytelling Tools
18 (16.8%)
Beliefs and Religions
3 (2.8%)
Relationships
31 (29%)
Archeology
32 (29.9%)
Faction Relations
25 (23.4%)
Historical Characters
2 (1.9%)
Your Module Suggestion (Place Comment Below)
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 107

salt1219

I'm a bit surprised biomes are so high on the list, i think they're good but i thought other things would be higher.

GC13

Well, they just have to be popular enough to be in third place for enough people. If you took a poll asking what the top priority should be, I doubt they'd place so high.

miah999

I chose Biomes first, because I think if done right they could add huge variety to the game-play. Especially if Tynan adds the temperature modeling he's mentioned. Imagine the challenge of trying to survive the first couple days on an arctic ice sheet, with nothing but sleeping spots, and some source of heat (like a campfire, or some sort of high-tech survival heater).

SpaceEatingTrex

Quote from: GC13 on October 14, 2013, 06:24:00 PM
Well, they just have to be popular enough to be in third place for enough people. If you took a poll asking what the top priority should be, I doubt they'd place so high.

GC13 brings up a great point here. Another game called Kaiju Combat used the three-vote system to choose which characters got in game, and judging from the forum comments it seems like a number of people's third choices got in instead of their first.

CommieKazie

This poll isn't run by Tynan though, so the 'official' poll could be a ranked-system of some sort.  Then again this poll does what is should do.  Who knows?

That's a very good point though

Gazz

Quote from: SpaceEatingTrex on October 14, 2013, 07:01:30 PMGC13 brings up a great point here. Another game called Kaiju Combat used the three-vote system to choose which characters got in game, and judging from the forum comments it seems like a number of people's third choices got in instead of their first.
Easy fix for that.
Use a multi-vote poll to narrow down a lot of choices quickly, then run a single vote poll on those finalists.

Or like here, if 3 modules can get picked, give users 2 votes. =)

miah999

Quote from: Gazz on October 15, 2013, 10:11:15 AM
Quote from: SpaceEatingTrex on October 14, 2013, 07:01:30 PMGC13 brings up a great point here. Another game called Kaiju Combat used the three-vote system to choose which characters got in game, and judging from the forum comments it seems like a number of people's third choices got in instead of their first.
Easy fix for that.
Use a multi-vote poll to narrow down a lot of choices quickly, then run a single vote poll on those finalists.

Or like here, if 3 modules can get picked, give users 2 votes. =)

Sound like a good idea, just for the sake of knowledge, I'll run another poll: 1 vote per person, choosing from the top five winners in this this poll. I'll set it up when this poll gets X number of votes. Now to decide what X should be.

GC13

Well, you already have a third of the amount of members that have posted at least once, and more than half of those who have posted at least twice. Don't set X too high. 8)

miah999

Quote from: GC13 on October 15, 2013, 12:17:05 PM
Well, you already have a third of the amount of members that have posted at least once, and more than half of those who have posted at least twice. Don't set X too high. 8)

How about a 100, or when the Kickstarter ends, whichever is first.

GC13

Quite a reasonable number. Though I must admit I suspect we're in for quite a wait then. :)

Finjinimo

Why don't you run this one to the half-way point of kickstarter, and the 2nd poll from then until the end of kickstarter.

That way when kickstarter ends, Tynan has a fairly good indicator on what might be good to work towards as a first module.

A 2 week(ish) broad poll, followed by a 2 week(ish) focused one.

Tynan

I actually prefer to have several choices in the mix. Polls like this are one factor in deciding which module to tackle next, but there are others, like production cost, maintainability, dependencies between biomes, design synergies, and so on. It's my job to sit down and look at what people are saying, and also think about these other factors and work out the best way to go. These polls are valuable to me to understand the general desires of the community, but they'll never be a binding vote.

Anyway, I'm watching and reading this thread with interest :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

SpaceEatingTrex

I think the Moddability module is important because it could lead to some other module content being developed. If people make a mod that everyone likes, it gives ideas for how to develop the main branch of the game (I don't know if Tynan would ever consider integrating mod content into the main release, but it's done with rogue-likes and such). This depends on how extensive the modding capabilities are of course.

The Moddability module is rather unique in that it's meta-content - instead of directly adding any content to the game, it creates a new way for more content to be added. I think it would be easier to develop modding tools early on and update them along with the content of the game.

tormentsuperfan

I'm a big fan of the faction relations to be done at some point.

I'd like traders to arrive seasonally like DF. It's so much fun to have that happen :D

Ford_Prefect

Joined the forum just to vote.  :D

Went with deep characterization, relationships, and mod.
I also really like the idea of biomes.