The Module Poll, Which do you want most?

Started by miah999, October 12, 2013, 05:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Module Poll

Endgame Escape
16 (15%)
Modability
39 (36.4%)
Health Modeling
15 (14%)
Biomes
53 (49.5%)
Deep Characterization
29 (27.1%)
Storytelling Tools
18 (16.8%)
Beliefs and Religions
3 (2.8%)
Relationships
31 (29%)
Archeology
32 (29.9%)
Faction Relations
25 (23.4%)
Historical Characters
2 (1.9%)
Your Module Suggestion (Place Comment Below)
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 107

miah999

I didn't see this as a poll on this anywhere, so I thought I'd make one. Please pick you THREE favorite modules in the poll above.

Semmy

I wouls go with archeology. .. being able to encounter weird things...

But if i really had to poll something it would be a way to have long games slowly getting more difficult like df... not the same depth but just harder events thrown at you by the storyteller
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

salt1219

i have mixed feelings about what my third choice should be but modding and endgame are my top two choices.

without a endgame there is no win condition, and modding games has been one of my favorite pastimes and really extends the life of a game.

Ontogenesis

I struggled to pick one - they're all pretty damn interesting. I suppose my lowest vote would be end-game, purely for the fact that I vote gameplay higher than endings. I personally see endings as a bit of the pat on the head, rather than anything particularly enjoyable - pleasures in the journey as they say.
I went for modding next, as a strong modding community is highly beneficial - they keep the game fresh in times where development slows down, and they can come up with some really cool stuff. Also, I've modded in the past and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although, thinking on it now, with the testing closed, it probably won't add that much at the moment. Anything that makes the colonists more rich is the way forward I think.

salt1219

Quote from: Ontogenesis on October 12, 2013, 08:32:53 AM
I struggled to pick one - they're all pretty damn interesting. I suppose my lowest vote would be end-game, purely for the fact that I vote gameplay higher than endings. I personally see endings as a bit of the pat on the head, rather than anything particularly enjoyable - pleasures in the journey as they say.
I went for modding next, as a strong modding community is highly beneficial - they keep the game fresh in times where development slows down, and they can come up with some really cool stuff. Also, I've modded in the past and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although, thinking on it now, with the testing closed, it probably won't add that much at the moment. Anything that makes the colonists more rich is the way forward I think.

i agree with you about game play, i just think a win condition is worth adding

Nero

Modability for sure. Having a game that is highly modable increases the life of the game exponentially.

GC13

Anything that makes the individual colonists more interesting: they're what the game is about, after all. Deep Characterization and Relationships were easy choices.

I had a hard time deciding between making my third choice: Beliefs and Religions or Biomes. In the end I went for Biomes, as the different aesthetics would probably add a bit more replay value.

Tynan

It's interesting how neck-and-neck these are in the voting.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

AspenShadow

I feel before modding should even be considered we should have an actual game with a solid foundation. The game needs to be built up to it's best/final version before the community decides it needs more/different content.

Ontogenesis

Quote from: AspenShadow on October 12, 2013, 01:13:19 PM
I feel before modding should even be considered we should have an actual game with a solid foundation. The game needs to be built up to it's best/final version before the community decides it needs more/different content.

Not necessarily - Project Zomboid opened their game up to modding (adding in Lua support in 0.2.0) right from the offset, which has been very successful and created a solid modding community. The more open the game is modding, the more interesting mods you get.

salt1219

a lot of game companies have taken popular mods that the community made and turned them into official content.
i think this is a very organic way for a game to evolve.

hoggerlivestwice

Modability, why be selfish, let everyone have their own vision of their own game?

I mean here off the top are games that thrive off mods:

-Fallouts

-Mount and Blade

-Unreal Tournaments

-X-COM

-Source games

-Minecraft

-Jedi Academy/Jedi Outcast

Here are some games that thrive off mods that directly inspire this one

-Dwarf Fortress

-Jagged Alliance 2 :  http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php/forums/60/1/v1_13_Projects_Released_and_In.html

e.g. http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/312705/New_feature_Take_prisoners_int.html#Post312705

anyways the facts are mods are waaay more important, but having the structure for unique features, such as atmospheric simulation would open up the doors in modding even more. But ensuring the modding support is very high or high for new invention make for excellent gameplay.

anyway, he said vast majority will be xml based or open sourced, not locked in code. So we'll see. I wanna mod in mech suits or whatever or mechs, or zombies, or whatever augments for crew people. Whatever.

But modding makes things happen.

Quote from: AspenShadow on October 12, 2013, 01:13:19 PM
No game on earth is like this, and I've played them all.

Sadly.

EDIT: Also, I'd say that regardless of the shortcomings of the original foundation, as long as they made mod support semi-accessible, or left it possible. You can see the game fix itself over the course of time just by the generosity of the mod community following that game.

Like Grand Theft Autos. Which I forgot to mention.

Tynan

Bear in mind that if I added moddability early, every release thereafter would likely break every mod that anyone had made because the fundamentals of the game are still in flux.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

hoggerlivestwice

Quote from: Tynan on October 12, 2013, 01:49:21 PM
Bear in mind that if I added moddability early, every release thereafter would likely break every mod that anyone had made because the fundamentals of the game are still in flux.

Thats like most games right now, it wouldnt change anything people would just update their work, or wait between builds. How much would it break by, whole structure or just placement of things? Either way it wont change much. Do you plan on archiving builds or completely replacing the old ones?

EDIT: People would also just archive their OWN builds for private use anyway.

salt1219

I've modded many games that were still being developed, each new version did break mods but it was easy to fix.
most issues were changed paths/names

on a different note i'm curious what people would want as their own module?  how about a pregame intro mini-game that takes place on the ship that you crash in.  it would give you a basic tutorial and explain how your ship crashed (maybe have it be one of several random reasons)